Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my MSLR this afternoon. I found the turn signals very intuitive. I definitely need a little muscle memory, but expect to be there soon
As far as the gear shift goes, both my mother's car, and my son's, have dials: one on the dash, and one on the center console. Both are strange. Having gear selectors on the screen is actually easier than those dials.
The biggest issue I have is the darn horn button. Makes zero sense.
The only real problem with missing stalks: where to I hang my face masks!

I just took delivery of my MSLR this afternoon. I found the turn signals very intuitive. I definitely need a little muscle memory, but expect to be there soon
As far as the gear shift goes, both my mother's car, and my son's, have dials: one on the dash, and one on the center console. Both are strange. Having gear selectors on the screen is actually easier than those dials.

I actaully find horn to be okay. It works when you put your full plam on that section.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yeah, I like to say things to rile up the... Yokels, who love the thing, but as I said long ago it is mostly... "fine". Tesla improved some things with OTA updates, and getting rid of 'half presses' was smart, because the thing just isn't sensitive enough to differentiate those.

The Model 3 wheel just happens to be one of my favorite wheels on a car, and I especially like it on this car. The yoke is made of straight lines, so it works well for going in straight lines. If there were any compromises going with the round wheel, I prob would have stuck with the yoke. Luckily.. there aren't. :)

I have found that turning with the yoke is absolutely no issue. I can turn left, right and flip U-turns easily and quickly without even thinking about it. There has been no need for me to adapt to anything. However... the problem with the yoke is coming OUT of a turn. When coming out of a turn, we naturally let the wheel spin back into a neutral position, while we continue to gently hold and guide the wheel to control the momentum. That is not possible with the yoke. Well, it is, but it is not easy or intuitive at all. I find myself grabbing for air.

Also, I definitely appreciate the stalks for 3 point turns. Even with my cars that have dials, it is a total pain. Stalks are so much better

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwanja
and if my theory is correct, it never will do anything
Your logic regarding Tesla switching from the haptic button for AP initiation to the scroll wheel makes sense. However, why would this prevent future firmware updates from making use of the right wheel for other functions? While spinning the wheel with AP active is not available, you could imagine left/right pushes doing something else. And long pressing scroll wheel when not on AP could be used to switch right-hand IC views as with previous gen cars.

However, it does cause much less flexibility while on AP for scrolling through contacts, music options, etc. Hopefully they can up with some clever options to reprogram how AP is controlled.

Reactions: rhuber
Yeah, I like to say things to rile up the... Yokels, who love the thing, but as I said long ago it is mostly... "fine". Tesla improved some things with OTA updates, and getting rid of 'half presses' was smart, because the thing just isn't sensitive enough to differentiate those.

The Model 3 wheel just happens to be one of my favorite wheels on a car, and I especially like it on this car. The yoke is made of straight lines, so it works well for going in straight lines. If there were any compromises going with the round wheel, I prob would have stuck with the yoke. Luckily.. there aren't. :)
Side question, is your radar detector tapped into the rearview mirror/camera for power?

Side question, is your radar detector tapped into the rearview mirror/camera for power?
I used the OBD connector.

Reactions: rhuber
Another quick update folks:

Project is very much alive, and I spend an hour or so each evening on it. I’ve just finished some code that will “auto learn” the voltage values for any reasonably sized pull up resistor you want to use to read the stalks. (If that doesn’t make sense, the motivation will: easy install and less questions for me, so doing future self a favor)

I am avoiding half-assing this, because I want folks to have a good experience if they decide to do this!

Your logic regarding Tesla switching from the haptic button for AP initiation to the scroll wheel makes sense. However, why would this prevent future firmware updates from making use of the right wheel for other functions? While spinning the wheel with AP active is not available, you could imagine left/right pushes doing something else. And long pressing scroll wheel when not on AP could be used to switch right-hand IC views as with previous gen cars.

However, it does cause much less flexibility while on AP for scrolling through contacts, music options, etc. Hopefully they can up with some clever options to reprogram how AP is controlled.
Whether they will use it for other things is very much speculation on my part. It does feel weird that six months after shipping the car, the right thumbwheel remains underused.

I have a few issues with my new MS, and was having trouble getting them documented. So, I drove to my local service center. @rhuber, that’s the one on SM Blvd by the 405. The guy there was awesome and knowledgeable. He really helped me document everything. More so, a true motor-head and drag-strip guy . He loves the new MS, as we all do. He is not a fan of the new yoke and lack of stalks. When we explored that further, and what it really came down to was the lack of stalks, and not the yoke itself. I agree. I love the yoke, except for the horn. I originally thought the dials in other cars were no worse than the touchscreen. I now have changed my mind. I cannot change gears quick enough. 3-point turns are maddening. So much thought has to go Into it, that I am not confident that I can ever develop the necessary muscle memory.

Anyway, I got the stalks and wiring parts all ready and waiting!

Reactions: McQ14
Can you send me a quick "how to" I'm pretty technical, but just a quick how to get the shield off (so I don't break any tabs) and what that IR connector does.
I just pulled like a neanderthal until the clips released. you pinch the little plastic piece around the rearview mirror first, and it can be a real pain to remove. Once that is off, you can twist the entire mirror assembly (i forget which direction) to detach it from the windshield. Once you have those off it is a bit easier to pry the cover off. As always, just go slow and listen for clips detaching.

sorry i can't be more help - i'm not anywhere near the car today.

Edit: and i just used a multimeter to find the thing I wanted to tap. word of caution - there is a 12v that looks like it might be useful, but powers the small cooling fan for the cameras, so avoid disconnecting that one.

I have a few issues with my new MS, and was having trouble getting them documented. So, I drove to my local service center. @rhuber, that’s the one on SM Blvd by the 405. The guy there was awesome and knowledgeable. He really helped me document everything. More so, a true motor-head and drag-strip guy . He loves the new MS, as we all do. He is not a fan of the new yoke and lack of stalks. When we explored that further, and what it really came down to was the lack of stalks, and not the yoke itself. I agree. I love the yoke, except for the horn. I originally thought the dials in other cars were no worse than the touchscreen. I now have changed my mind. I cannot change gears quick enough. 3-point turns are maddening. So much thought has to go Into it, that I am not confident that I can ever develop the necessary muscle memory.

Anyway, I got the stalks and wiring parts all ready and waiting!
Hah nice! I go there for parts sometimes, though parking can be a pain. :)

Absolutely agree on 3 point turns. I have to back onto a sometimes-busy street from my driveway, and having to swipe on a screen when there is oncoming traffic is stressful.

If you enjoy the yoke, I think you'll be very very happy with yoke + stalks! Did you order the wiring bits from my github page, then?

Hah nice! I go there for parts sometimes, though parking can be a pain. :)

Absolutely agree on 3 point turns. I have to back onto a sometimes-busy street from my driveway, and having to swipe on a screen when there is oncoming traffic is stressful.

If you enjoy the yoke, I think you'll be very very happy with yoke + stalks! Did you order the wiring bits from my github page, then?
Tip: Park on Pontius, the street just east of the SC. There are a bunch of meters there, and I always seem to be lucky to get a spot.

Yes, I got all the bits and stalks. Just waiting for your instructions. No hurry. Will wait patiently.

I want to share with you my dream scenario:

-Keep the yoke
-Stalks for gears. I am fine with the turn signals on the yoke. In fact, I am driving an ICE while getting my PPF done, and searching for the buttons on that car. Muscle memory already kicking in for this issue.
-A REAL horn button. You mentioned up-thread about the possibility of a pressure sensor. Is this a possible hack?
-Use the existing horn button to activate the PWS. It would be nice to send out a polite "ding" to alert pedestrians that I am behind them. Heck, if I don't need the turn signals, even program those to do that.

Reactions: McQ14