Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just pulled like a neanderthal until the clips released. you pinch the little plastic piece around the rearview mirror first, and it can be a real pain to remove. Once that is off, you can twist the entire mirror assembly (i forget which direction) to detach it from the windshield. Once you have those off it is a bit easier to pry the cover off. As always, just go slow and listen for clips detaching.

sorry i can't be more help - i'm not anywhere near the car today.

Edit: and i just used a multimeter to find the thing I wanted to tap. word of caution - there is a 12v that looks like it might be useful, but powers the small cooling fan for the cameras, so avoid disconnecting that one.
So you disconnected this ir led light, or just tapped the wire? What is that ir led light for?

I'm testing out a low-tech solution to the horn issue. I put a 12mm transparent epoxy dot (sourced from Etsy) over the horn icon. Easier to quickly find with your thumb and does change the look much. Tested to make sure it can be removed without damaging the Yoke.

Attachments

• TMS Yoke Horn.jpeg
    TMS Yoke Horn.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 452
Ever notice how the volume controls on the yoke are jumpy? It is because the LIN controls aren't well synchronized. I'm starting to believe that the yoke is tesla's first attempt at fully insourcing steering apparatus production. Much like AP2, they probably should have worked on it longer instead of shoving it out the door...

Anywho, I added input smoothing and acceleration to my volume control for the wheel and for the yoke, so my yoke is now better than everyone elses'. But it still sucks. xoxo

I just thought of something: if you are able to program different thinks, is it possible to just swap some of these buttons around? One solution for the horn would be to swap it with the mic button. It would be so much easier to reach, and the horn is a little more urgently necessary than the mic.

So I did this today. I just tapped that plug rather than disconnecting it and it's fine, didn't trip any virtual fuses. However, it doesn't appear to be switched. My detector stays on all the time.
Interesting. I actually tested this by turning off my Bluetooth and letting the car sleep, then I woke it with the app while I was standing next to it so I could see if the uniden logo showed up, as it does on startup. Is it possible you just didn’t wait long enough for the car to sleep?