Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck, my intention to post here was to inform. But I was not sure this item wasn't already posted here. Could not find it anywhere but still was not prepared to get the usuals smart ass responses that it was already posted many eons ago. So by phrasing it as a question I would not get the forum hate when someone mentions something which was already mentioned before.

I wish you good luck and very much hope you will keep us posted!!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
Good luck, my intention to post here was to inform. But I was not sure this item wasn't already posted here. Could not find it anywhere but still was not prepared to get the usuals smart ass responses that it was already posted many eons ago. So by phrasing it as a question I would not get the forum hate when someone mentions something which was already mentioned before.

So actually this appears to be a fairly new product. I didn't see anything implying it was already posted, although the vendor started a promotional thread for it in the last day or two:

Bruce.

I am confused. I don’t see any negative responses to your post. Were they deleted by the moderator?
I am grateful that you posted it, and bought it within minutes. I know I’m taking a chance by being a guinea pig for the group, but if this pans out, it would be an excellent find. I would have loved to have given my business to Ehhauto, but they are still quite a ways off. I still may get their SEXY buttons to use for other things.

They both plug into OBD port. Not sure if a splitter is available, allowing multiple connections at the same time.
Are you sure? Watching their tutorial, it seems that they plug into the diagnostic port under the center console, not the OBD. And yes, they do make a splitter, as I am using it now for another project, though not with S3XY buttons.

EDIT: I just watched the installation video again, and indeed, it plugs into the blue diagnostic port. HOWEVER, looking at Enhauto's site, the S3XY buttons also plug into that same port, which they call "OBD2". The actual OBD port is under the dash, inside the driver's footwell.

I highly doubt a splitter can be used, and if these stalks work out, I would be hesitant to screw with them by adding the buttons. If Enhauto comes out with a good gear selector that can work with buttons, I can consider trading up later, if the price is right.

Last edited:
Are you sure? Watching their tutorial, it seems that they plug into the diagnostic port under the center console, not the OBD. And yes, they do make a splitter, as I am using it now for another project, though not with S3XY buttons.
It uses the same blue port above phone chargers as S3XY Commander. I thought that was OBD, but anyway same port. Splitter should work.

IMG_3492.jpeg

We should make a "open source" thing. Esp32 with lin etc isn't expensive. Few $. Using pcb producer overseas for a board. Would make some output for controlling ledbar, backup lights etc etc.
(I can controll my backup light with one of the steering wheel buttons on my 2019 X.)
Would cost 15$ or something like that. Just buy used stalks from 3 Y.

I am confused. I don’t see any negative responses to your post. Were they deleted by the moderator?
I am grateful that you posted it, and bought it within minutes. I know I’m taking a chance by being a guinea pig for the group, but if this pans out, it would be an excellent find. I would have loved to have given my business to Ehhauto, but they are still quite a ways off. I still may get their SEXY buttons to use for other things.
I think they were afraid of receiving negative posts in case they were reposting.

Please keep us posted on your progress and results! I am particularly curious if these are OEM parts and if not, what the fit and finish level is.
We should make a "open source" thing. Esp32 with lin etc isn't expensive. Few $. Using pcb producer overseas for a board. Would make some output for controlling ledbar, backup lights etc etc.
(I can controll my backup light with one of the steering wheel buttons on my 2019 X.)
Would cost 15$ or something like that. Just buy used stalks from 3 Y.
That's how this entire thread started. Browsing ebay it seems that M3 stalks are ~$150 shipped. Plus you need the upper console trim. Not to mention someone's time to develop the thing, get bids, do QA, assemble the cables and package the kits, there is likely a minimum oder needed for the boards that has to be paid up front, provide tech support, etc, etc. There is a decent amount of work there. I am excited to hear how it goes from @4SUPER9. I think the teslaunch price is fair if it does what it says.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot and KJD
I think the teslaunch price is fair if it does what it says.
If you look way up-thread, many people said they were willing to pay more. I actually bought many of the parts, wiring, connectors long ago. Probably spent around $150, for the stuff to sit in a box in the back of a closet. I even got to meet Ryan on one occasion at a Tesla coffee event. But, alas, he clearly got frustrated with Tesla and has far better things to do with his time.

Reactions: KJD
I think they were afraid of receiving negative posts in case they were reposting.

Please keep us posted on your progress and results! I am particularly curious if these are OEM parts and if not, what the fit and finish level is.

That's how this entire thread started. Browsing ebay it seems that M3 stalks are ~$150 shipped. Plus you need the upper console trim. Not to mention someone's time to develop the thing, get bids, do QA, assemble the cables and package the kits, there is likely a minimum oder needed for the boards that has to be paid up front, provide tech support, etc, etc. There is a decent amount of work there. I am excited to hear how it goes from @4SUPER9. I think the teslaunch price is fair if it does what it says.
Yep, the amount of work required means the price needs to be high enough to make it worthwhile. For open source, most likely what works better is to specify separate off the shelf boards. I bought some ESP8266 D1 Mini clones (dirt cheap on Amazon) for some projects and it's fairly versatile given there are tons of free Arduino libraries for supporting all sorts of devices and communication protocols.

Have used to interface with temperature and humidity (1-wire) sensors, 7-segment LED display modules (2-wire I2C-like protocol), IR transmitter/receivers, microSD module (SPI), SMBus laptop battery interface, and with other modules (via serial). Only thing is you need some soldering skills to solder the connections yourself, for example for a linbus serial module.

If you look way up-thread, many people said they were willing to pay more. I actually bought many of the parts, wiring, connectors long ago. Probably spent around $150, for the stuff to sit in a box in the back of a closet. I even got to meet Ryan on one occasion at a Tesla coffee event. But, alas, he clearly got frustrated with Tesla and has far better things to do with his time.

Too bad, his solution looked great.
Unfortunately his only posts on X lately are just Tesla bashing constantly.