Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could Germans have a lower English literacy rate than in the Low Countries?

On the whole I would say yes. But not for those who can afford and would buy a Model S. And even many of those like myself, who haven't got a lot of money to spare, tend to be quite adequate when it comes to literacy in English. At least I get the impression that I can get my messages across most of the time ;-)

Could Germans be more in love with their home-grown, fast, powerful ICEs from BMW/MB/Porsche/VW than are the rest of the Europeans who may not have as much of an emotional stake in the ICE vs EV situation?!

We Germans love our home-grown cars, that is true. But seeing how much know-how that went into the Model S comes from German engineers (and German manufacturing tools), one could say that the Model S has quite a few German genes. And Germans love fast, good-looking, exciting cars (if they offer a lot of luggage space - all the better), a description that fits the Model S perfectly.

There are only two things that come to mind why Germans seem so reluctant when it comes to EVs. Firstly, we don't get all that much info about EVs in the media, the ICE lobby is just too strong. And even if there is media coverage, it tends to focus on European efforts (except for the Opel Ampera/Chevy Volt - which is another matter as there was extensive coverage only about the potential safety problems after the battery of the crash-tested Volt caught fire) like the new Renault EV's, the Smart Electric Drive and the like, or the German hybrids. If it wasn't for the Internet and some small mentions here and there, I think no one in Germany would even know that there was a Model S (let alone X).

And that is actually a problem that would prohibit the use of the Model S as our new family car (replacement for the VW Touran - not Routan by the way, that is only available in the US, not in Germany) as we frequently drive to my parents-in-law who live over 300 miles away. So even at 55 mph the 85kWh battery wouldn't get us there one way, let alone at autobahn speeds. I therefor tend to rather go for the 60kWh battery, save some money in the process and rather exchange that battery sometime in future for whatever better type is available then.

Yes but what percentage of your population is it? Vermont is #1 in the nation for Roadster sales per capita. Don't know about S reservations.

Kinda silly comparison IMO. You have what, abut 600,000 population? I would take a guess that there are several counties that outdo you for Roadster sales per capita....

You have to remember that a sizeable proportion of our population drives old Cadillacs. :rolleyes:

I was just making the point that it's really nice to see FL embracing EV's in such a strong way.

You have to remember that a sizeable proportion of our population drives old Cadillacs. :rolleyes:

I was just making the point that it's really nice to see FL embracing EV's in such a strong way.

Hi Nigel,

Very true, but soon I expect those blue-haired ladies to be trading their old Caddies for the upcoming Cadillac ELR PHEV. :wink:

Seriously, from a selfish standpoint having more Tesla customers based on raw numbers should assist us in getting additional sales and service locations sooner in compariosn to states with fewer customers.

Larry

Kinda silly comparison IMO. You have what, abut 600,000 population? I would take a guess that there are several counties that outdo you for Roadster sales per capita....

YOU might think it's silly, but up here we are proud and confident that Tesla will locate a store and service center within a year, if nothing else, to accommodate the 1 Roadster per 100,000 residents.:wink: Heck it will probably be worth it so the Rangers won't risk sliding off the road (which they have done) driving 5-6+ hrs to get here, considering the eternal winters we have... :tongue:

YOU might think it's silly, but up here we are proud and confident that Tesla will locate a store and service center within a year, if nothing else, to accommodate the 1 Roadster per 100,000 residents.:wink:

Ok, it's not silly. We have 1 Roadster per 95,000 residents in Sarasota County. Wow, higher density than the whole of Vermont! Actually there's 2 more snowbird Roadsters here right now so if we count them.... :wink:

@hcsharp: Word on the street is that we'll have a Tesla center in Natick MA towards the end of this year. Not exactly close to you, but better than NYC!
Did you hear "store" or "service center"? Does Natick have a big mall?
I heard the same from somebody in the NY store, but they didn't know if Natick would be the store, service ctr, or both. Natick is about a standard charge away from me.

@hj-45: You must be in Concord or somewhere thereabouts? I'm about 90 mi North of Concord. I drive my Roadster to the Boston area every couple of months.