Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would a Tesla make sense as an apartment owner with shared L2 charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright well I decided to get it anyway. It’s literally the same amount of hassle as a gas car so
Beat of luck sir, I’m sure you’ll make it work. Sounds like you’re getting it for the same reasons I did, just be aware that range estimates are severely overstated if you drive like I do! Living without your own Lvl 2 charging, you might not be able to take advantage of all that acceleration b/c you’ll be watching the battery percentage. I work from home, charged to 80% yesterday for a trip to the airport, round trip ~70 miles. Got back home with 44% left, so yeah range estimates must be in a vacuum or with my mom driving, lol. Anyways, that’s why my response was no. Like I said, I’m sure you’ll make it work.

Beat of luck sir, I’m sure you’ll make it work. Sounds like you’re getting it for the same reasons I did, just be aware that range estimates are severely overstated if you drive like I do! Living without your own Lvl 2 charging, you might not be able to take advantage of all that acceleration b/c you’ll be watching the battery percentage. I work from home, charged to 80% yesterday for a trip to the airport, round trip ~70 miles. Got back home with 44% left, so yeah range estimates must be in a vacuum or with my mom driving, lol. Anyways, that’s why my response was no. Like I said, I’m sure you’ll make it work.
44% wouldn’t be crazy inaccurate. EPA estimate is 353 miles with no battery degradation. 80% is 282 miles and 70 miles is 20%. I guess you do have 15% more than you expected though, and I’m sure with my led foot it would be around that too.

I’m just going to make sure I contact building management if the spot is constantly taken up. If we can make it work with other tenants then shouldn’t be a problem

Reactions: TXDawg
44% wouldn’t be crazy inaccurate. EPA estimate is 353 miles with no battery degradation. 80% is 282 miles and 70 miles is 20%. I guess you do have 15% more than you expected though, and I’m sure with my led foot it would be around that too.

I’m just going to make sure I contact building management if the spot is constantly taken up. If we can make it work with other tenants then shouldn’t be a problem
I believe mine’s rated at 315 (‘22 M3P). Either way, you see what I’m getting at.

Normally go to the gym after work M, W, F which is 10 miles round trip, and then sometimes go to grocery store but that’s on the way home anyway.

Weekends in the summer I tend to go hiking a lot but non-summer a bit less.

I also enjoy driving and it brings me pleasure so I can see myself purposefully taking the car out for fun.

Best guess is 8,000-9,000 miles a year or 180 miles per week.
Well you have an SC pretty close, so for the occasional fun trip you can always go there (though of course they are more $$).

Yes definitely see what you’re getting at. I’m going to see if I can make it work. And worst case scenario can always sell the car.

This is true (you can always sell the car), but I think I have seen you say a few times "I can always sell the car for more than I paid for it". You also mentioned that you were just out of college.

Why that is relevant is, this car market right now is definitely NOT normal. Its a "once in a generation or more" type thing. Cars in general are depreciating assets, not appreciating ones (with a few exceptions). The reason "just out of college" is relevant is only because you likely havent bought a bunch of cars to know how the market normally is.

You should expect to lose money on that type of transaction, as the used car market will correct at some point, and we dont know when that is. Could be before you even pick up your car, could be a year or two from now, could be somewhere in between. What we do know, however, is that its not sustainable (used cars selling for more than new) so no one should go into a car purchase thinking "I will just sell it for more than I bought it for if it doesnt work out.

TL; DR - You can always sell the car, but expecting to even make your money back when selling a car you just bought in the last year or so is not something you should "expect".

EDIT: re reading this, it sounds way more "parental" than I intended. Even though I am a parent (of a grown child thats close to 30), I didnt intend to try to lecture or anything, so sorry if it came across that way. It was ment as informational, but came across somewhat "lecture like". I am going to leave it how I wrote it, but apologize for the unintended lecture.

EDIT: re reading this, it sounds way more "parental" than I intended. Even though I am a parent (of a grown child thats close to 30), I didnt intend to try to lecture or anything, so sorry if it came across that way. It was ment as informational, but came across somewhat "lecture like". I am going to leave it how I wrote it, but apologize for the unintended lecture.
Does he need a roommate? I can't get my 30 year old out of the house. I'm on the east coast but I'll drive him there if needed. :)

Does he need a roommate? I can't get my 30 year old out of the house. I'm on the east coast but I'll drive him there if needed. :)
My daughter moved out 5 years ago now. but yeah a lot of children move out much later. I moved out (and got married!) at 18, and am still married to the same person and we are in our mid 50s.

Based on what you said about your driving habits, you won't need to charge daily. Even if you don't charge to 100% (which as a general rule you shouldn't) you can probably get by charging 2-3 days a week depending on how many joy rides you take. I suspect it won't be much of an issue - but even if it is a little inconvenient it will be worth it - Teslas are just that good.

With increasing ownership of EVs, your property management company will need to strengthen and enforce their parking rules and makes sure that everybody knows what the rules are and the consequences if they are not followed.
1) Management puts you a sign. (PARK ONLY WHILE CHARGING - VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED)

2) A nice first note to the owner not moving their vehicles after charging. (WARNING)

3) Non-compliance (CONSEQUENCE) The Skippy Factor yeilds a short-learning curve.

1651519862266.png

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
I lived in a large apartment complex with two shared chargers for several years and it was not a problem.

Early on, I printed a bunch of these on card stock and chopped it up:
1651620198476.png

Every time I saw a new EV charging, I'd slip a card in their window. All but one EV driver texted me about the note, so I had nearly everyone's number.

I never got a "I need to charge" call, but I did get, "let me know when you're done, even if it's late; I'll go plug in."

Once I got a, "do you have the numbers of either <this car> or <that car>?" And I've relayed messages.

Everybody was happy to get along and be in touch except that one person who never replied.

We *did* have a charging problem occasionally when one or the other charger was down, which has happened. That's what you really need to plan for.

Attachments

• 1651620176343.png
    1651620176343.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 45
Thanks guys! I am just dreading the wait now to get my car 😭 1 month more!! Red on black with 18 aeros long range. It’s my first car now that I am out of college and can afford stuff!
Congrats!
My son is also recently out of college, managed to get an excellent job and has now ordered a Model 3 Performance, Grey on white!

Sheesh... not bad for either of you.... first car out of college! My first car out of college was a Dodge Dart with 3 on the tree (don't ask)....

Hey, you both deserve it! I'm sure you're going to love it.

I’m struggling with what my apartment in the Tacoma area is going to start charging for residents to plug in. They just installed 3 ChargePoint chargers and instead of charging by the kWh used they are charging by the hour. $1 for the first 3 hours and $3 for every hour after that. The building next door just charges a flat .09$/kw. If they were fast chargers I wouldn’t complain but they are only 5.3kw chargers. I have my Model 3 LR AWD ‘22 arriving in a month and I’m hoping I can talk them into changing to a usage charge versus an hourly charge cause by my math 50% charge could cost almost $12 versus $3 (I know it’s not a lot of money but still that’s a big difference over the course of a month). There aren’t any superchargers in Pierce County so I was a little annoyed when I saw this today. Does anyone else’s buildings charge by the hour to plug in?

I’m struggling with what my apartment in the Tacoma area is going to start charging for residents to plug in. They just installed 3 ChargePoint chargers and instead of charging by the kWh used they are charging by the hour. $1 for the first 3 hours and $3 for every hour after that. The building next door just charges a flat .09$/kw. If they were fast chargers I wouldn’t complain but they are only 5.3kw chargers. I have my Model 3 LR AWD ‘22 arriving in a month and I’m hoping I can talk them into changing to a usage charge versus an hourly charge cause by my math 50% charge could cost almost $12 versus $3 (I know it’s not a lot of money but still that’s a big difference over the course of a month). There aren’t any superchargers in Pierce County so I was a little annoyed when I saw this today. Does anyone else’s buildings charge by the hour to plug in?
It's a shame they're not a bit higher kw. It takes me around 2 hours to put the 100 miles I drive back in to the car. I can see why they're doing it if they charged by the kw people would just leave them on the chargers all day and night. Maybe if they dropped the rate or upped the amps it wouldn't be so bad.
At least drop the rate for the first 3 hours.

I pay a high rate myself. It figures where I live they offset taxes by having a higher kw rate so basically I'm paying more taxes than anyone else. Almost double the electric rate of the town next to me.

Reactions: Guy Maughan
It's a shame they're not a bit higher kw. It takes me around 2 hours to put the 100 miles I drive back in to the car. I can see why they're doing it if they charged by the kw people would just leave them on the chargers all day and night. Maybe if they dropped the rate or upped the amps it wouldn't be so bad.
At least drop the rate for the first 3 hours.

I pay a high rate myself. It figures where I live they offset taxes by having a higher kw rate so basically I'm paying more taxes than anyone else. Almost double the electric rate of the town next to me.
I was really hoping for it to be a bit faster as well. But what are you gonna do haha. Delivery is just a month away now so I’ll make do and hope other faster options pop up in my neighborhood.