Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you be comfortable buying an inventory car with over 1k-2k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have friends who have traded their 2019 M3 for MS and going to trade their M3s for MY orders they are waiting for. So, I wont say they are all problem cars. The most common reason was their wife cant read the giant tablet .. and wanted a normal console... coz they switched between cars they own.

I think they would be safe, they still have their warranty. I saw a 2019 M3P a couple of days ago with 3k+ miles on it for around $51k. I was going to bite, but it was located in a different state. My SA said they would've added an additional $4k for delivery. Whoever bought that got a hell of a deal. It was probably a test drive car, but I would've bought it.

They are safe. I purchased one. Have had only a few issues upon delivery (the front bumper was a diff shade of white and Tesla replaced it quickly). Just look around the car and drive it. I only saved about $1k, but inventory was null, wait times were long, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
There have been quite a few aggressive discounts documented by forum members but most of them occurred in the first half of Q2. Now that demand is so strong I think it’s unlikely you will see any sizable discounts on showroom inventory. One person just posted a discount of only $2,470 on a 2018 LR RWD car. And that’s a discount on a $2,000 red paint upgrade, so only a $470 discount relative to what a base paint model would have cost back then. Pretty slim.

There have been quite a few aggressive discounts documented by forum members but most of them occurred in the first half of Q2. Now that demand is so strong I think it’s unlikely you will see any sizable discounts on showroom inventory. One person just posted a discount of only $2,470 on a 2018 LR RWD car. And that’s a discount on a $2,000 red paint upgrade, so only a $470 discount relative to what a base paint model would have cost back then. Pretty slim.

This would be me. The car is a 2018 but only has 117 miles. Still haven't seen the car not have received any updates on where it is...seems like there might be a story behind it.

If the car has a clean record, passes a rigorous inspection by me during daylight, and Tesla stands behind it as far as warranty, 7 day return period and/or fixing anything found during that time then I dont see why not. The big question is, can you get a decent discount for 1-2k miles on the clock? From what Ive seen the discount is almost non-existent for that kind of low milage.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just grabbed a Model 4 2019 with 980 miles. Waiting for arrival. Saved a couple of grand. Didn't want to wait. Hopefully week of 2/19.
I theorize that in 1000 miles, most infant mortality issues should have surfaced. Guess we will see.
The last new vehicle I bought was in 1970 - yes, the Pleistocene era... Guess we will see.

I do not understand why we didn't go for an inventory or demo car. After 2 months, I have had over 50 people trying our new Model 3 so they know how the future looks like :).

If they took somewhat care of the inventory vehicle I see no problem in saving some cash and go for a marginally used vehicle.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I do not understand why we didn't go for an inventory or demo car. After 2 months, I have had over 50 people trying our new Model 3 so they know how the future looks like :).

If they took somewhat care of the inventory vehicle I see no problem in saving some cash and go for a marginally used vehicle.
I'd be all over it if they gave significant discounts on a demo car but the discounts are meh.

I just grabbed a Model 4 2019 with 980 miles. Waiting for arrival. Saved a couple of grand. Didn't want to wait. Hopefully week of 2/19.
I theorize that in 1000 miles, most infant mortality issues should have surfaced. Guess we will see.
The last new vehicle I bought was in 1970 - yes, the Pleistocene era... Guess we will see.
That would be a model 3, obviously...

Reactions: house9
I bought mine in this way. $11,xxx discount in exchange for 7K on the clock which effectively paid for FSD and sales tax.

How could you get this much discount? I saw one right now with 600 miles on it and only $400 discount?
There's a helluva difference between 600 and 7,000 miles on a "new" car with the latter most definitely being sold as used.

There's a helluva difference between 600 and 7,000 miles on a "new" car with the latter most definitely being sold as used.
Many manufacturers sell demo cars as new and honestly this is my favorite way to buy or lease cars as the discounts are often significant and in some cases even better than buying used from private party or third party dealers.