Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 137 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 42.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Candleflame said:
BMW seats (even a 20 year old model) are significantly more comfortable than the Model 3 seats. The Tesla seats are very narrow and not quite long enough. You also sit too high compared to where the pedals are.

Nope. Tesla seats are the best car seats I've ever sat in

You need to pony up and sit/drive better cars with proper seats!
BMW ///M, and Porsche seats are an order of magnitude better form-fitting and more supportive than Model 3's.

Hack, my Honda Odyssey had more comfortable seats than Model 3!

And if you haven't gotten use to having the speed in the center screen, sell your Model 3.
No tacky heads up displays necessary. That's not a luxury, that's called tacky and useless

Any information presented in the line of sight is always better than something that gets picked up by the peripheral vision.

Therefore, HUD projecting on the front windshield (not the cheapo plastic shield projections) is a way better place to display drive-critical information (speed, nav directions, alerts, etc), then on a display elsewhere in the car.

Speed in the center screen is the best re-invention

Yeah, you can praise MINI all you want (MINI had pioneered mass-produced central gauge clusters in the 60s), but no-one had followed them. I must be a sub-optimal ergonomic placement.

Model 3 has a central display not because it's better, but for cost-cutting reasons.
Being that it is the one and only display, it is placed where both a diver and passenger can access it. And where it fits.

a

BMW ///M, and Porsche seats are an order of magnitude better form-fitting and more supportive than Model 3's.

Any information presented in the line of sight is always better than something that gets picked up by the peripheral vision.

Therefore, HUD projecting on the front windshield (not the cheapo plastic shield projections) is a way better place to display drive-critical information (speed, nav directions, alerts, etc), then on a display elsewhere in the car.
^ HUD + better seats = higher quality Model 3.

I'd happily pay extra for both.

100% This:
However, you are significantly under-reporting the wind noise that penetrates Model 3 cabin. I don't know if that's due to glass gaps in the roof, or the nature of the glass roof itself, but Model 3 is appreciably nosier at 75+ MPH speeds than the ///M3.

Driving Model 3 at 85+ MPH is downright unpleasant and tiring, and north of 100 MPH the noise is howling. The ///M3 does not seam to suffer from significant wind-noise intrusion even north of 130+ MPH.
These observations are statistically significant for both vehicles.

I spend a fair bit of my drive time above 75mph. A Model 3 that was 10db quieter @ 85-90mph, would be awesome.

Nope. Tesla seats are the best car seats I've ever sat in

And if you haven't gotten use to having the speed in the center screen, sell your Model 3

No tacky heads up displays necessary. That's not a luxury, that's called tacky and useless

Speed in the center screen is the best re-invention

Why would I sell my X with the perfect display set up to buy a model 3 so I can hate it?

Tesla seats are far from "the best". Maybe you are short, but anyone over 5'10" gets round shouldered sitting in them. Very bad posture.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?
Well, I was thinking that the 2020 Model 3 will get some new options, such as towing hitch or electrical trunk,

I was surprised to noticed that the 2020 Model 3 Performance, not the SR+, don't get the frunk floor mat, and you need to get it for $35

After losing the Nema 14-50 plug, Homelink, frunk hooks..., and spending more than $70k for the top of the line, what next?

See: The 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance Shows New Cost Cutting

I'd gladly pay more for increased range and faster speed.

As far as interior features, I'd prefer to have HUD and a dark (ideally alcantera) headliner. Otherwise I'm good with the features and technology as-is.

With the ability to pre-heat and pre-cool the car, I don't miss having a heated steering wheel or ventilated seats.

Reactions: St☰v☰
Well, I was thinking that the 2020 Model 3 will get some new options, such as towing hitch or electrical trunk,

I was surprised to noticed that the 2020 Model 3 Performance, not the SR+, don't get the frunk floor mat, and you need to get it for $35

After losing the Nema 14-50 plug, Homelink, frunk hooks..., and spending more than $70k for the top of the line, what next?

See: The 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance Shows New Cost Cutting

Yep. I installed frunk hooks and put a mat in the frunk of my 2020. The good news is that my 20 is quieter than my 19 - so maybe they transferred the cost to sound reduction.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
you'll have to push them to get them exposed just like the hangar hooks inside the car

By golly, you're right. I don't do shopping and the only reason I go in the frunk is for my car cover, so I never noticed them before.

Frunk Hooks.jpg

I would very much disagree. I have a BMW 5 series - fully loaded - and its seats are as good as it gets from BMW.
While the BMW seats are more adjustable - I like the Model 3 seats better. For some reason if I sit for more than an hour in the BMW I get a back pain - and I don't in the Tesla. Now the BMW seats do have a massager - which is useful if you drive several hours straight, and also have ventilation - which I find completely useless. You can argue that the BMW seats are more high end - but still I much prefer the Tesla (if I'm going to drive more than an hour). Just my personal experience.

Edit: Now the BMW beats Tesla in interior refinement. I'd love to have the Tesla with the road noise level of the BMW, the HUD, the top camera and all the other niceties. But the seats - I am not missing.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I would very much disagree. I have a BMW 5 series - fully loaded - and its seats are as good as it gets from BMW.

FALSE.
Go drive an M3/M3/M5, and you will see the difference.

5'er seats are some of the worst in the lineup, since they are designed for middle-aged, over-weight, performance averse audience (similar to X-cars). I had a 5'er as a loaner, and its seats were worse than base-model 3-series seats.

You can argue that the BMW seats are more high end - but still I much prefer the Tesla (if I'm going to drive more than an hour). Just my personal experience.

Everyone's butt and comfort-level preferences are different, but plastic Model 3 seats are the part of the car I like the least.
Their plastic surface doesn't breath. The lateral side-bolsters are too small, yet bottom side bolsters are angled in such a way that they cut into the flesh during turns. Plus, the bottom cushion is a few inches too short.

Edit: Now the BMW beats Tesla in interior refinement. I'd love to have the Tesla with the road noise level of the BMW, the HUD, the top camera and all the other niceties.

Amen, brother!

I don’t think your BMW is as quiet as you think.

I have a top of the line custom F80 M3. If you turn off the music and listen it’s loud. Most of the wind/road noise gets drowned out by the “engine”. In the Tesla, there’s no ICE sound, so the wind noise seems louder.

To answer your original question, I wouldn’t pay more for a luxury model 3. I actually think the seats are too soft and would prefer the more fitting seats in my BMW M3 to keep me in place during spirited driving. Obviously coming from an M3 I lean more towards the performance end of the spectrum. I would pay more for those type of improvements.

Your M3 is quite a bit louder than a base 3 series due to the M specific suspension. Mostly because the rear diff is not mounted in a subframe, it's bolted directly to the unibody.

I agree, too. I would have ponied up the extra $$ (and even more) for the performance if it included things like sport seats, (even better) brakes, thicker wheel, and a real sports suspension. Not just slightly shorter and stiffer springs.

The biggest issue with Tesla is their logistics system coupled with insane demand doesn't allow for increased customization. They simply don't have the infrastructure available to provide the customization we'd want in a higher end vehicle.

When it was only S/X it was far easier to manage but the 3's have completely changed the game for them.
But that would also imply that the S and X have interior quality consistent with their asking price, which they don't tbh. Heck, they've started stripping AWAY of the "luxury" features previously offered!

I think another thing that a lot of you are forgetting that keep piling on the amenities is that this is an EV. Can you all guess what’s going to take a huge hit when you’re powering up your heated steering wheels, vented air conditioned seats, subwoofers, heated wiper jets, HUD, etc.? Let’s not forget about the extra weight from sound deadening and wiring. How would all of this change the driving dynamics?

It’s a lot easier to make wish list than to address the issues that would come.
??? The S and X have/had them and when removed had nothing to do with battery longevity.

Reactions: tvad