Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a Model 3 Again Today?

Would you buy a Model 3 again today?

• Yes

Votes: 239 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of on the fence about this. The car is really fun to drive and has some cool tech. However, get into an accident and that's where the issues begin. Not enough certified body shops and parts delays, and not enough Tesla Service Centers. I will say though that Mobile Service is really good and can do a lot of the repairs.

There is a charging network that Rivian can use.

It's the Electrify America network which is expanding rapidly.

Hmm... so right now I pay about 7.00 to supercharge my model 3...

I think I’m reading it right but maybe I’m not.. electrify america says they charge you a dollar plus 99 cent a minute.

When I use a supercharge I’m usually on it for about 30 minutes...

So that would be about 31 bucks each time I supercharge? YIKES! That essentially destroys the cost savings over gas...

I got to be doing the math wrong... that’s four times the cost of the supercharger.

I think I’m reading it right but maybe I’m not.. electrify america says they charge you a dollar plus 99 cent a minute.

So that would be about 32 bucks each time I supercharge? YIKES!

I got to be doing the math wrong... that’s four times the cost of the supercharger.

Yeah, I've heard that sticker shock with EA. I'll have to see what it's like near where I live. Our energy is cheap so I don't expect it to be that expensive. But, I might get sticker shocked.

I don't use the Supercharger network all that much to worry too much about it. I cheat a bit, and I use destination charging at hotels. Even when I'm not staying at the hotel. I just come in and ask to use it, and pay the parking fee. Then I go off on foot as I explore the city.

The destination charging will still work in the Rivian as you can just use an adapter.

Last edited:
I looked at it more because I thought the price I came up with was insane...

It’s not that bad because your car doesn’t charge at 350kw but for a short period time (when it’s almost empty) so as your car charges the rate per minute goes down and because you spend more time charging and a slower rate of charge its not as bad as it sounds on paper.

But ultimately it still costs more based on the video I saw. There was another article on a stock website by someone presumably shorting Tesla who claimed the EA chargers are cheaper, but the details were locked behind a paywall...

So that would be about 31 bucks each time I supercharge? YIKES! That essentially destroys the cost savings over gas...

Where are you that 30 minutes of supercharging costs only $7? The only way I can do that is if I'm at the <60kW rate, which is only above 70% charge or so. Genuinely curious as to where supercharging is so cheap. My bills are often $15-30, urban Superchargers being the most expensive.

With Electrify America in the same <60kW scenario, they're charging $0.25/minute (in Washington) which doesn't seem too much more expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Where are you that 30 minutes of supercharging costs only $7? The only way I can do that is if I'm at the <60kW rate, which is only above 70% charge or so. Genuinely curious as to where supercharging is so cheap. My bills are often $15-30, urban Superchargers being the most expensive.

With Electrify America in the same <60kW scenario, they're charging $0.25/minute (in Washington) which doesn't seem too much more expensive.

Richmond VA

I got 30kw for .23 cent a kw. Sr+

Ok, per kWh rates, nice. $7 @ $0.23 indeed means about 30kWh given, so an average of 60kW charge rate. So you spend some time above 60kW and some time below. Though I see on their site that it's apparently $0.28/kWh now, so that should be $8.40 now.

And comparing to Electrify America, let's say that means 8 minutes in the 76-125kW tier ($0.69/min or $5.52 giving at least 10kWh) and 22 minutes in the 1-75kW tier ($0.25/min or $5.50), so a total of $11.02. More than $8.40, but definitely better compared to some other DC fast charge options out there.

For comparison, per-minute Supercharger rates assuming the same scenario might look like this: 10 minutes in the >60kW tier ($0.26/min, or $2.60) and 20 minutes in the <60kW tier ($0.13.min, another $2.60). A total of $5.60. Maybe my time estimates at the tiers are a bit off.

For yet another comparison, Canadian supercharging as above works out to CAD$8.80 or USD$6.62. From experience like I mentioned though, I'm usually paying anywhere from $15-30 when I Supercharge, the more expensive end being gouged by the 72kW rate of Urban Superchargers being just above the 60kW tier change, so I'm being charged for the high tier for most of the charge. One of my gripes with their per-minute model.

Off-topic super rough analysis finished, thanks and apologies!

Reactions: qdeathstar
Ok, per kWh rates, nice. $7 @ $0.23 indeed means about 30kWh given, so an average of 60kW charge rate. So you spend some time above 60kW and some time below. Though I see on their site that it's apparently $0.28/kWh now, so that should be $8.40 now.

And comparing to Electrify America, let's say that means 8 minutes in the 76-125kW tier ($0.69/min or $5.52 giving at least 10kWh) and 22 minutes in the 1-75kW tier ($0.25/min or $5.50), so a total of $11.02. More than $8.40, but definitely better compared to some other DC fast charge options out there.

For comparison, per-minute Supercharger rates assuming the same scenario might look like this: 10 minutes in the >60kW tier ($0.26/min, or $2.60) and 20 minutes in the <60kW tier ($0.13.min, another $2.60). A total of $5.60. Maybe my time estimates at the tiers are a bit off.

For yet another comparison, Canadian supercharging as above works out to CAD$8.80 or USD$6.62. From experience like I mentioned though, I'm usually paying anywhere from $15-30 when I Supercharge, the more expensive end being gouged by the 72kW rate of Urban Superchargers being just above the 60kW tier change, so I'm being charged for the high tier for most of the charge. One of my gripes with their per-minute model.

Off-topic super rough analysis finished, thanks and apologies!
Urban chargers doubling their rate @ 60kW is an absolute joke and I can't believe they do it. I honestly think they should just have it at single tier no matter what charge rate.