Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a Model Y if it was only built in China?

Would you buy a Model Y if it was only built in China?

• Yes, only if it has FWDs.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Yes, only if it DOES NOT have FWDs.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Never.

Votes: 65 41.7%
  • Yes.

Votes: 66 42.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's next Gigafactory has a good chance of being in China. Would the country of manufacture affect your buying of a Tesla vehicle? For this discussion assume the quality will be the same as a Model 3 built in Fremont.

You need to have just Yes, regardless of FWD. So Yes. But I believe they will build Y in the us first. This is because Elon stated that batteries for the Y will come from GF1 and I believe they will build a new GF for China to service China as it will more then support multiple GFs. Their car market is 50% larger then ours and they are the biggest EV market by an even larger margin.

You need to have just But I believe they will build Y in the us first. This is because Elon stated that batteries for the Y will come from GF1 and I believe they will build a new GF for China to service China as it will more then support multiple GFs.

It will actually be hard enough to find enough demand for Tesla in NA, to justify the GF1. They need the Model Y as well, if they are moving production to where it's needed. Of course the GF1 will also produce energy storage, but still. Even 200k cars is a lot if you only produce the S and X for global sales and the 3 for NA.

I don't see why this is even a question. China builds the iphones, branded golf clubs, laptops, PC, heavy equipment and I can go on. These products import to the US and many other countries in the world and has been going on for decades. China has a huge market on SUVs and it makes sense to build the Model Y there and imports to the US as along as they built to spec. along with the quality required. Having said that, I'm not sure if China is still the low cost car manufacturer anymore. For the na-sayers, they may want to take a trip to China to visit some of their manufacturing facilities and they will be in awe of what they see.

Reactions: AustinPowers