Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a Model Y if it was only built in China?

Would you buy a Model Y if it was only built in China?

• Yes, only if it has FWDs.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Yes, only if it DOES NOT have FWDs.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Never.

Votes: 65 41.7%
  • Yes.

Votes: 66 42.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will buy it of course, our relatives will buy, and our colleague will buy, that is a huge market, you know the large population of China. If built in China, the price will reduce, we would be very happy to buy a inexpensive Tesla with a cool brand.

Tesla's next Gigafactory has a good chance of being in China. Would the country of manufacture affect your buying of a Tesla vehicle? For this discussion assume the quality will be the same as a Model 3 built in Fremont.

Or maybe I'll wait a bit and buy the Chinese Model-Y clone they would assuredly turn out at 20%+ below Tesla's list price.

Just like the savings some realized on the Huawei cloned Cisco Routers that shipped complete with cloned Cisco firmware, or the China-clone of the New Holland Tractors that mysteriously popped up soon after Case New Holland, complied with China's (you MUST have a domestic partner) rules, and soon realized all they did was educate China's domestic tractor industry and, oh yea, give away their IP and trade processes.

Drawn by [1] the size of the domestic market, (and previously) [2] the labor cost differential -- Manufacturers fly to China like bugs to a light, unfortunately many realize loo late that it's often a bug-zapper. Smart manufacturers know this and carefully manage what/how they produce in China. Unfortunately many are blinded by (Hope?/Greed?/Desperation?) and screw up. (Boeing vs AirBus immediately comes to mind, [How CoMac cloned the AirBus A320]). In recent years the Chinese govt has created layers of bureaucracy and compliance regulations designed to maximize this leverage.

If Elon and Co. does not tread smartly - Tesla's future could well be other than what we may wish for it.

Last edited:
No.. I only buy cars built in America... they can build and sell those Tesla's in Asia..

You are joking, right?

I mean, you'd have to be pretty selective otherwise.

Or don't you have any of the following:

smartphone
tablet
TV
gaming console
home electronics
household appliances
toys

or almost anything else you can buy nowadays?

There's not a lot of stuff anymore that is only "proudly made in the US of A" you know.
Even quite a lot of parts in current Teslas are made outside the US.

That's as if I would say "I only buy cars built in Germany". Wouldn't be a lot of choice then, as even many of the cars of German manufacturers are made all over the world.

And anyway, what makes a car that was built in America better than one that was built somewhere else? Plus, what is America to you? America is a double-continent, divided into a northern/middle and southern part with dozens of individual countries.
Am I correct in assuming you have no problem with buying a car that was made in Mexico then, as that is also part of America? ;)

(Technically you would be correct in splitting hairs and telling me that over on your side of the pond "America" just means the US, whereas the continent would be called "The Americas". But I am from Germany, and over here Amerika can mean both the US as well as the whole continent. So don't mess with my sarcasm. :p)

Reactions: MXWing and arcus
What's the purpose of this poll? Nothing as complex as a car is manufactured in a single country anymore. It might be assembled in the country, but components and parts come from all over the world.

Like others already stated, most of the goods come from China nowadays. People are shopping at Walmart, too.

Yes, I would like the quality and safety concerns to be met (especially batteries). I would also like the workers to be adequately compensated and guaranteed safe and healthy work conditions when putting together a product others are bound to enjoy.

I don't believe Tesla will ship cars from one continent to all the other continents once they have multiple car factories. I don't care how many or what they build in China the one I'm buying will come from one of the gigafactories in the US (consider Sparks+Fremont = to the first car included gigfactory. Expect the new gigafactories to all do both batteries and cars).

Reactions: NeverFollow
Having experience with China's manufacturers, I'm going with no. The first product I had built in China was redesigned the "make manufacturing easier". Net result: 30% didn't pass final QA and 15% of the ones that did failed within a month. The second product ended up being designed and built in Taiwan, because the Chinese team couldn't make a working prototype!

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I ride in JAC, Chery and/or BYD every week. BTD E6 continues to surprise me positively. I also quite like the newest Volvos. OTOH, My iPhones, iPads, refrigerators and TVs seem all to work well. Frankly, I am not a fan of economic nationalism. China has invested in airports, sea ports, electrical infrastructure and much more here in Brazil making me see the positive side of Chinese investment, especially important now taht the USA has signed off from investing in The Americas.

I'll happily buy Tesla from wherever they decide to build it. I only hope they expand quickly enough to code with industrial and utility demands for TE products too.

Or maybe I'll wait a bit and buy the Chinese Model-Y clone they would assuredly turn out at 20%+ below Tesla's list price.

Just like the savings some realized on the Huawei cloned Cisco Routers that shipped complete with cloned Cisco firmware, or the China-clone of the New Holland Tractors that mysteriously popped up soon after Case New Holland, complied with China's (you MUST have a domestic partner) rules, and soon realized all they did was educate China's domestic tractor industry and, oh yea, give away their IP and trade processes.

Drawn by [1] the size of the domestic market, (and previously) [2] the labor cost differential -- Manufacturers fly to China like bugs to a light, unfortunately many realize loo late that it's often a bug-zapper. Smart manufacturers know this and carefully manage what/how they produce in China. Unfortunately many are blinded by (Hope?/Greed?/Desperation?) and screw up. (Boeing vs AirBus immediately comes to mind, [How CoMac cloned the AirBus A320]). In recent years the Chinese govt has created layers of bureaucracy and compliance regulations designed to maximize this leverage.

If Elon and Co. does not tread smartly - Tesla's future could well be other than what we may wish for it.
I know people who go to China often. They can pick up just about any product that is manufactured in China that has been cloned or came off the line at a discounted price.

I don't see the cost benefit to Tesla to import their own cars from China to be sold in the US. The management system model used by Tesla encourages local manufacturing in order to reduce shipping costs. Tesla needs to open a Midwest or an East coast factory in the US in order to split delivery/manufacturing duties dependent on customer location. Buffalo is probably a good place as GF2 is there.

Let me see, my iPhone, my MacBook Pro, my iPad, of course i would buy it. Hopefully this would drop the price so you could get away from that awful anti-manufacturing state called California. I would be cooler if that made them in Tennessee or in the South East, where labor costs are lower than CA. Maybe they could even use durable paint too in those other states and countries.

Reactions: MXWing