Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a new Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taycan and etron have small ranges
I'm not sure how much range you get in your 90D, but FWIW I get significantly more range with my Taycan than I did with my 2016 75D. I have the smaller battery too and do mostly city driving.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 11.18.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 11.18.33 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 5.13.09 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 5.13.09 PM.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 64
  • Informative
Reactions: candida
each time I have a long journey the convenience of the SuC network is so superior, the distribution of sites, the simple aspect of reverse in, plug in, walk, makes it tough to consider alternatives

This.

Of course that makes no difference if not driving out of range but, for Wifee and I, we take the S whenever we go on a long journey, and the other (formerly a 3 now a Y) for the short trips.

We arrive far more refreshed in the S, and that is partly down to the air suspension. We find we get a bit more range (in practice) than the 3 had, so distance-between-charges is pretty good - but driving to the Alps although we could easily do 2.5 hours between charges the Superchargers are not always in exactly that spot!

I'm sure there are other, more comfortable/luxurious, long distance cruisers, but until the 3rd party charging across the whole of Europe is "better than Tesla" (or I can use all Tesla chargers everywhere with any EV) then its Tesla-only for me, and when the Plaid gets here I'll be ready to trade in my 2019-S

I got a 50% trade in for my 2015 S, with 96K miles, in 2019 - which was before 2nd hand prices went crazy. That's still a lot of depreciation on a £100K car, but I think its pretty good for a car in that segment.

Reactions: Beady3647
Biggest problem for me is the fact I still remember the a time when a new S could be had for £50k and a new X for £64k. Yes the 'refreshed' cars have nicer air suspension and MCU3, but those things aren't worth an extra £40k.

Ofcourse a new Y can be price up to nearly £70k these days, so S/X pricing just reflect that. Still it makes it almost impossible justify trading in our old X for a new one (when ever it becomes onsale properly in the UK).

We would also loss 'free' for life Supercharging and premium connectivity, and Tesla is now fitting the new 90kWh battery to older S/X cars for sub $20k (would give our X a range of 250+mile range even in winter), means its looking like we'll probably not sell the X for a long long time.

A new S would be the ideal car to complement the X, however zero chance we can justify £90k+ for a 2nd car that does barely 3000 miles a year.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Well, yes. Have a Plaid on order and a Raven in the garage.

We need the effortless space and the hatchback (3 not enough luggage space - Y looks are not for us). Both the 3 and Y ride poorly. I also have proper sports cars and these are not performance suspensions - please. The Raven provides a sporty ride without the crashiness and continuous boom. Quiet alcantara cabin, well on par with competing Europeans especially if you don’t care for knobs….Forward visibility is good making it easy to place despite its size. 250 WH /mi in the Raven at 70 mph approaching 400 miles range means you really don’t need to stop for a charge on a trip - just overnight.

Definitely pricey, but not so compared to the real competition (Taycan Turbo S, Lucid) neither of which offer the range, the space not the hatchback.

Last edited:
So I got a call from Tesla Manchester today “about my Tesla Model S order”. I too got my hopes up. They asked me if I was aware that the Euro pricing indicated they would sell for over 100K (of course, I ordered a Plaid) and we won’t be getting them till end of 2023.

And then they asked me if I wanted a Y performance instead which I could get immediately instead….

Reactions: NikoV6
hell no. For example in us, tesla was taking advantages from government, it is not a free market. A lot of Evs are not allowed to sell here. And now they are greedy and the price is not even close to reasonable. A base models should not go over 70k. Look at what happens in China which has a more free market in evs, a model y only sells for 35k out the door price usd, and we pay double here including tax in us for a same configuration, that is just ridiculous. Elon is taking money out of our pocket and trying to sell as much as possible in other countries.

For me it’s a ‘no’ I’m afraid.

Have gone back to the competition (and sporty saloons) - placed an order for Taycan Turbo in November last year and it’s finally (almost) ready after a very long gestation. I’m due to collect it this Thursday barring no last minute issues 🤞

I have 5 years and 80,000 miles on our 100D MX. So I know the rub with Tesla both car and company. The X will stay, for now anyway, I need a car that can tow and it‘s been kept relatively up to date with the infotainment and AP computer hardware upgrades and the like. In the fullness of time I’d I like to replace it with something like a Rivian R1T…but there’s little chance of seeing them in RHD for a few years.

Reactions: H43lio
I’m due to collect it this Thursday

How exciting!

For me it all comes down to convenience on days when I am out of range - used to be 2x a month when the car had 240 mile real-world range, now that I have 300 mile range that has dropped to a few times a year, but going to the alps to ski (well ... any "touring trip") is a breeze with Tesla, and it seems to me that anything else is a hassle and might even be a nightmare.

Of course for someone that drives "within range", or has a Tesla :cool:o_O🤓 for long range trips, that's moot!

Reactions: Beady3647 and Sean.
Money no object, Yes.

When Plaid was announced and orders in UK were available, we paid our £100 non refundable deposit and secured a Plaid, have the invoice and been told by Tesla the price will be honoured! Paying for it, we will cross that bridge when we know the RHDs are coming!!

Racked up 80K miles in 4 years with our 75D and cant really fault it. Yes its been back to Tesla but always had great service from MK and lately Chester. Looked at other brands but as stated above have dismissed for various reasons. In the end, the Supercharger network keeps us loyal, previous EVs were non Tesla, don't want to go back to that road trip pain.

Now, if there was a P100D with free Supercharging for £50K.....

Reactions: EVMeister
if there was a P100D with free Supercharging for £50K.....

I'm going to be miserable giving up free Supercharging for a Plaid ... but ... on the one hand as electricity prices increase the freebies are valuable, OTOH because the car has such good range there are very few journeys where I actually need to charge.

<fx:Checkes TeslaFi>

Total freebie Supercharge usage this year is 881 kWh ... so I suppose I won't actually be much out of pocket. Of those only 3 were in UK, and the other 17 were on the continent ... making long-distance trips that I never bothered to do when I had the previous MS with shorter range, and fewer Supercharger sites available back then.

I'm going to be miserable giving up free Supercharging for a Plaid ... but ... on the one hand as electricity prices increase the freebies are valuable, OTOH because the car has such good range there are very few journeys where I actually need to charge.

<fx:Checkes TeslaFi>

Total freebie Supercharge usage this year is 881 kWh ... so I suppose I won't actually be much out of pocket. Of those only 3 were in UK, and the other 17 were on the continent ... making long-distance trips that I never bothered to do when I had the previous MS with shorter range, and fewer Supercharger sites available back then.
I went with Raven performance to replace my original S (was one of the first in the UK in 2014) while waiting for the Plaid.

Indeed with its range and 250-270 WH/mi efficiency, it can comfortably make it to the overnight stop and charge there. We can stop over wherever we like -no need to endure crap food at the services while supercharging….

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'm not sure how much range you get in your 90D, but FWIW I get significantly more range with my Taycan than I did with my 2016 75D. I have the smaller battery too and do mostly city driving.

I love the Model S range. I have 12K miles in 10 months. Lots of towing. I think I supercharged only 3 times, because I can wait until I get home ;)

80% (which is what I normally charge to) gives me 320+ miles.

I was right at EPA efficiency which is 240 wh/mi lifetime until I started towing a lot. Now I’m up near 260 wh/mi

52581451424_d1022a63db_b_d.jpg

I love the Model S range. I have 12K miles in 10 months. Lots of towing. I think I supercharged only 3 times, because I can wait until I get home ;)

80% (which is what I normally charge to) gives me 320+ miles.

I was right at EPA efficiency which is 240 wh/mi lifetime until I started towing a lot. Now I’m up near 260 wh/mi

52581451424_d1022a63db_b_d.jpg
You're doing exceedlingly well on your towing consumption!! When towing it really decimates the range in my 2017 MX. From a steady (long term) average of around 390 Wh/mile to over 500 Wh/mile

What are you towing?