Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you consider a Bolt?

Would you consider a Chevrolet Bolt EV over a Model 3?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Definitely no

Votes: 250 75.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 56 16.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things are rather spread out down here in Texas. The lack of a supercharger like fast-charge network for long distance travel makes all other EVs non-viable for me.

But most of all, GM's support for the anti-direct sales legislation at various states really makes my not want to support them.

At one point I was looking to get a Volt, as it solves the recharge issue for trips, but these tactics by GM have made it so I won't consider any of their vehicles anymore.

Since Bolt is a city car (there's no charging network) it would be wise for GM to lower It's price by 10k while maintaining >120 mile range.

$27500 Bolt would be interesting to many - I suspect.- $37500 - not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petra
Ask GM what they'd do with the Bolt if they received 500,000 pre-orders for it. Tesla's answer was "Frickin A, we're gonna have to change our plans to keep people happy". I'm guessing GM's answer would be to cancel 470,000 of the orders because "No frickin way we have any desire to build that many".
Tesla reservations Vs GM reservations should tell OP all he wants to know.

Reactions: GSP
I would rather wait and get the Model 3 with a sporty design. I personally think the Bolt is rather boxy and not too appealing. The only concern I have about the 3 is access to the trunk. I haul my road bicycle around in the back of the Model S and it fits nicely without having to remove the front wheel. With the Model 3 I will likely have to remove the front wheel, but just hope the opening is sufficient to get the bike inside in the first place.

I come from a GM family and I own a Volt. That being said the Bolt is about 3 years behind in terms of technology and has zero changing infrastructure so the extra range really means nothing. The cars interior and exterior styling is equal to a car in the $19000 price range NOT their absurd pricing. Tesla has them beat across the board with superchargers, OTA updates, autopilot, oh and STYLE.

GM needs to wake up to the EV demand. The model 3 is really going to rock their world.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting one as my back up if I couldn't afford the Model 3, but now after all the crap GM is pulling against Tesla I vowed to make sure I have my finances in order to afford a Model 3.

The size of the Bolt is better for my needs (much closer to the size of the GTI it's supposed to replace). And I like that it's a hatch. But the Model 3 is so much more appealing in every other respect that it's hard to imagine even test driving a Bolt much less buying one.

Edit to add: Also, AWD.

Last edited:
When I started looking into electric cars several years ago, I wanted one with more than the standard 80-90 mile range of the available EVs. Only the Tesla Model S had more range, but it was too much car for me, both in terms of size and price. When rumors of a Chevy follow-on to the Spark EV with a 200 mile range made the news, I was immediately intrigued. When the Bolt EV concept car was revealed, it was definitely a contender. I was also keeping my eyes open for the Tesla "BlueStar" (Model 3), but not much was known about it at the time.

So why did I end up standing in line to reserve a Model 3 and dismissing the Bolt EV?
  • I'm in my 60s, so my next car may likely be my "bucket list" car. Although I don't hate the looks of the Bolt (I also don't hate the looks of the Nissan Leaf), why should I have to settle for a ho-hum looking car when I can have a beauty like the Model 3? For the same range, the Model 3 sedan is simply a more premium looking vehicle than the econobox hatchback design of the Bolt. Call it my trophy car if you will.
  • What happened to the cool all glass roof of the Bolt concept? Like most concepts, they show really cool features that never make it into production. Musk has promised that Tesla production cars will look as nice or better than their concepts. I'm expecting to see the Model 3's all glass roof in the production model -- as an option if not standard.
  • Technologically, the Tesla is superior to the Chevy. Tesla rethought the automobile when it came out with the S and this continues with the 3. From the large touchscreen to over-the-air updates to autopilot to supercharging, Tesla has broken with tradition by being innovative. The Bolt seems to have been developed with a traditional internal combustion engine car mindset. For example, even though it has no gasoline engine, it's jam-packed with bits and bobs under the hood. The Model 3, like other Teslas, has a frunk under the hood.
  • The Model 3 is designed to have 5-star safety rating in all categories. I have an infant grandchild and when she's riding in her car seat in the back, I want her to be as safe as possible in the event of a collision. How much space is there behind the rear seats of the Bolt to serve as crumple zone in case of a rear-ender? Does the Bolt promise the same attention to safety?
  • Tesla only makes electric cars. It's not a sideline model for them. If the Bolt doesn't sell well, will GM simply say, "oh well, that was an interesting experiment", and kill it as they had done with the EV-1? Imagine how advanced and commonplace EVs would be today had GM not abandoned the EV-1 and their car electrification program? Imagine their market share today? Indeed, an argument can be made that had GM not killed the EV-1, Tesla Motors might not even have existed and being a thorn in their side today.
  • Tesla has their Supercharger network for long distance travel. Again, they are committed to the success of the electric car. GM has stated they have no plans to participate nor invest in a high-speed car charging infrastructure.
  • Tesla doesn't sell through franchised dealerships. Despite assertions from traditional car makers and their dealers, I don't view haggling as a benefit to consumers. And I don't appreciate GM's efforts to prevent Tesla from selling their cars directly to consumers. Let the market decide which sales model is preferable.
  • Finally, I believe in Tesla's mission. Some here refer to it as "drinking the Kool-Aid". Even if the Bolt had been a more compelling car, I still would have gone with the Tesla. The company and the man behind it have reached mythic proportions. Is it illogical or naive to be a believer? Well, logically, his dreams have seem outlandish at best. Yet, somehow, he and his companies have been fulfilling them, even if a bit late.

Last edited:
Absolutely yes. Been very pleased with GM quality of the Volt after not setting foot in a GM dealership in 30+ years. Was also responsible for four others leasing Volts - all of them love their cars.

I don't need a charging network and would use the Bolt as a commuter and 2nd car. I't's the right size, has four doors, plenty of range and a hatchback - and will be available this year. After 60K plus miles in two Volts (which I love) and 90% of that on all electric in the past 4+ years, the Bolt will be great for me.

I really need a 4wd SUV for more hauling and trips to the mountains - Model 3, S and Model X doesn't work for that.

No, I wouldn't consider a Bolt.... here's why;
1.Bob Lutz,
2.Poor decisions regarding saving pennies and costing lives (ignition switches)
3.They had their shot to be the world leader with EV's and got bought off by big oil.
4.Only building EV's to be complaint.
I could go on and on and on....

My three biggest reasons for not considering the Bolt have been covered, but A. It's serious ugly, B. The rear seating is marginal, and 3. It's built by a company that has a history of cranking out mediocre vehicles. Range and recharging aren't considerations, as it would be my wife's commuter. But we have to be able to haul her "adult" children around on occasion and they are both much heavier and wider than I am.

That said, until the proposed CUV arrives, we aren't buying a Model 3 either. Take a look at my registration date if you care to know how much pain that is causing me!