Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up 'extras' to go from S85 to P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you leave the pano open at 15% and it rains, does it get wet inside? Or is 15% enough to keep out light rain, but perhaps not flood worthy rain.

We were at a matinee movie yesterday and there is no way I would have expected it to rain while we were in there, but it certainly did. Full sun (when we went inside), almost 100 degrees in extra drought season: what's up with rain? I was happy for my grass, but I would have been really unhappy if the inside of my car got wet!

If it rains, you can just pull up your app and close it remote. Few minutes before you get into your car, just turn the climate on to either cool it down or heat it up.

I also vote for loaded S85. If you have unlimited budget, get loaded P85+, why not :) And I think twin charger is not needed. I got one but so far I haven't been able to find a public charging station that supports in the Bay Area. I think future proof is not twin chargers, but Tesla's superchargers and CHAdeMO technology.

Lastly, if you change your mind and get the 21", make sure you know the cost and frequency of replacing those tires.

Lastly, if you change your mind and get the 21", make sure you know the cost and frequency of replacing those tires.

Yes, I've been reading reports of people gettiing only 7-8k miles on the Pilots. Historically I'm pretty hard on tires, so 21" summer performance tires are not for me. I would also cringe every time I go over a speed bump with 21s. Its just not worth it.

But I know that I have to get the car from the factory with wheels that I'm relatively happy with, hence the 19" cyclones instead of base wheels. I purchased my last two cars with the intention of changing out the wheels, but it just never happened. Other kinds of mods yes (paint, tint, exhaust, headlights, side markers, interiors lights, blah), but never the wheels. I drive around with wheel envy though -- but I only see another car like mine about once a month. Perhaps if they were everywhere I'd have myself some new car shoes!

Hi Jerry, I've read several comments about the pano baking the car in the heat, but yours is the first I read that suggested how the pano might help keep the car cool while parked in the sun. Makes sense. I'm torn on the pano. I want the extra headroom for passengers, but I like shade. Question for you and other pano owners: For shade worshipers such as myself and my family members, does the pano make passengers feel like they're sitting in the sun? I know it's tinted, but does anyone know what kind of UV(A/B) blocking it provides? I see the page at Model S Features | Tesla Motors notes it blocks 98% of *visible* light. That page also says it blocks about 80% of the sun's heat, so not blocking 20% sounds like it could make things uncomfortable for passengers, or necessitate more air conditioning which would lower mileage. Would love to hear varying opinions on this from shade worshippers. Thanks!

1. I'm in Texas and haven't had to run the a/c harder than "two blades" to keep cool.

2. No it doesn't feel like you're sitting in the sun. 98% of the light is blocked so unless you look up (or have it open) you'll never notice.

3. Any extra heat can easily be taken care of by an additional tint layer (Photosync). I don't have this on mine but I'm considering it. However, the only time I ever feel the heat is for the first few minutes after starting to drive if I haven't pre-cooled and if the car has been sitting in the sun. Then there is some residual heat that you can feel. The rest of the time it's fine.

4. The a/c really doesn't draw much power--this is especially true if you pre-cool while plugged in because it uses shore power.

2. No it doesn't feel like you're sitting in the sun. 98% of the light is blocked so unless you look up (or have it open) you'll never notice.

Not quite.

I feel that on a sunny day I always need to drive with sunglasses on even when the sun is not at an angle. In my previous car I could leave my regular glasses on until around 3:00pm.

But I do agree that you don't feel the sun on your skin, and the temperature is not a problem. Well, until 95 at least. I wouldn't know over that.

But I do agree that you don't feel the sun on your skin, and the temperature is not a problem. Well, until 95 at least. I wouldn't know over that.

My info is up to 105 F.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel that on a sunny day I always need to drive with sunglasses on even when the sun is not at an angle.

Don't have any so can't say.

1. I'm in Texas and haven't had to run the a/c harder than "two blades" to keep cool.

3. Any extra heat can easily be taken care of by an additional tint layer (Photosync). I don't have this on mine but I'm considering it. However, the only time I ever feel the heat is for the first few minutes after starting to drive if I haven't pre-cooled and if the car has been sitting in the sun. Then there is some residual heat that you can feel. The rest of the time it's fine.

4. The a/c really doesn't draw much power--this is especially true if you pre-cool while plugged in because it uses shore power.

Thanks, Jerry.

I have had the S 60 now for 3 weeks. I am very happy that I got the supercharger option only. The car easily fits all of my driving needs, including driving to Miami (200+ miles away - with a 25 minute stop at the SuperCharger in Port St. Lucie). I have not come close to running out of juice around Orlando (even on 125+ miles driving days). The car is also FAST. I am very happy I did not get the P85. I also did not get the double charger. I had my electrician put in a NEMA 14-50 and 50 Amp breaker and I am good to go!

While in Miami, I have had two charging outlets put in, in the two office buidlings I visit. I also use the 120v outlet overnight at the hotel I stay at.

I got a fully loaded S 60 and am happy with my choices. I was afraid it would be slow, or not enough range. I was wrong on both counts.

MIKE

If you leave the pano open at 15% and it rains, does it get wet inside? Or is 15% enough to keep out light rain, but perhaps not flood worthy rain.

We were at a matinee movie yesterday and there is no way I would have expected it to rain while we were in there, but it certainly did. Full sun (when we went inside), almost 100 degrees in extra drought season: what's up with rain? I was happy for my grass, but I would have been really unhappy if the inside of my car got wet!

I just keep the roof closed while parked and then 10 minutes before leaving I start the AC and vent the roof (if no rain) when I get to the car it is very comfortable, even in the 95+ degree days we had this summer.

I would skip the pano roof, it will bake you in a hot climate. Just my honest opinion.

+1
S85 is already a significantly fast and quick machine.
I want to keep my license, and a P85 or P85+ would surely endanger that.

I live in Dallas, did NOT get the pano roof, just for the above reason (possible excess heat).
Yes, you can add tint, and try to address it after the fact, but the sun is just a relentless force in July and August.

Now you have some money to expend any way you want.
As far as the rest of the available Options, I would get the parking sensors, the air suspension, tech package, any kind of dash and leather seat combination your heart desires.
Please actually GO to the Austin gallery and review the actual samples.
Computer screens cannot do justice to the excellent finish choices available for your new S85.
Stick with the 19s, unless you just NEED to spend the money NOW. You will have many opportunities to change wheels and tire sizes at a later date if you desire.
Sound system upgrade would be a plus.
Maybe even consider the yacht floor?

Unless you plan on doing two or more long trips a day, stick with the Single charger.
A single Nema 40-15 will fill your car up every night @ 30 miles per hour rate.

Good luck with your decision.

I live about 2 miles from the Domain Tesla studio here in Austin. The building is actually planted where we used to play softball :(. Although I do have to admit that I go to that mall a whole lot more than I ever went to our company park in the past 25+ years, so not such a bad trade I guess.

Since you can park so close to the studio, my son and I will pop over there and browse after lunch on random weekdays. He didn't even ask to stop by the Apple store, Vans, or Zumiez once. No more of that since its back to school tomorrow. Browsing the Tesla studio isn't nearly as fun by yourself.

Complain to IBM, they sold the land a long time ago to make $$. Domain is a great place--plenty of places to play softball elsewhere.

Of course I understand that it's an issue with people selling the land and not those that bought it. Like I said though, I get way more use out of the mall -- I haven't played softball since I was gosh, 30 maybe? I'll love it when I get go to WF on the way home from work (hopefully in my new Tesla). Going places without traffic is my nirvana.

- - - Updated - - -

I would get rid of the 21s (totally not practical as you'll be replacing them every 5-10k miles) and add the air suspension.

I'm used to driving an SUV and like its ride height. I'm kind of concerned about being 10" lower in the Tesla. Having the car automatically lower itself even more at highway speed isn't exactly a selling point to me. I could wait for the X, but I'm not that patient.

Unfortunately I won't be able to drive a car with both kinds of suspensions before ordering.

Personally, I prefer really stiff suspensions. On the car that I have now, it was even more expensive to upgrade the suspension, but one of its purposes was to stiffen it up and make the car handle better. Tesla doesn't advertise the air suspension for handling, only for raising and lowering.

Do you think that the air suspension affects handling at sub-highway speeds?

Personally, I prefer really stiff suspensions. On the car that I have now, it was even more expensive to upgrade the suspension, but one of its purposes was to stiffen it up and make the car handle better. Tesla doesn't advertise the air suspension for handling, only for raising and lowering.

Do you think that the air suspension affects handling at sub-highway speeds?

AFAIK the car was actually designed to ONLY have air suspension and was never intended to even have a standard suspension option. It was only added later as a "downgrade" to get the base price of the 40 below $50k. So the way I look at it is basically like the "standard suspension is an aftermarket upgrade but in the reverse direction" ... in other words all their calculations, projections, range, handling etc was based on having the air suspension. I wouldn't be comfortable driving the MS with anything else.

texex91, my test drive is this Friday too. I hope that they give you enough time with the car to get a pretty good feeling for it, instead of "Isn't this fast? Now lets go back."

In the mean time I may go see my CA at the dealer I work with to see what he can offer. I'm hesitant because I think that I'll get a lecture about why I shouldn't buy a Tesla instead of why I should buy one of his cars. Heavy sigh.

For the pano roof: I've had one in all of the cars that I've bought as an adult, but I never open them except to vent hot air out for 30 seconds or so after getting in the car in the summer. I hardly ever uncover them. Although I may have adults in the back, the tallest adult I'd have in the back is 5'7". However, I may just think that the pano is the bees-knees on Friday. Who knows. At least I'll have a chance to experience it out in the sun.

Last edited: