Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By that argument, there isn’t a need for a Plaid or a Plaid+ Model S... but Tesla is making them anyway because it’s what people want.
If need was the sole criteria for making something, then we would not have many of the things that exist today... Know what I mean??

Not really. Which Tesla currently serves the customer the plaid is targeting?

A plaid 3 is already covered by the model S...

Not really. Which Tesla currently serves the customer the plaid is targeting?

A plaid 3 is already covered by the model S...

Well, there are plenty of folks (like me) who do not want something as large as a model S, but want the increased performance/acceleration/speed that is gained in a Plaid trim. Hence, a model 3 Plaid... which is sort of the motivation for me starting this thread.

Last edited:
Well, there are plenty of folks (like me) who do not want something as large as a model S, but want the increased performance/acceleration/speed that is gained in Plaid trim. Hence, a model 3 Plaid... which is sort of the motivation for me starting this thread.

tesla makes a roadster... also, aren’t they supposedly making a coup for sub 25k? Maybe the do a plaid version of that for 50-60k... I think the model s and model 3 are similar cars.

tesla makes a roadster...

They actually don't.

Not for years.

They do plan to make a next-gen one, but they've yet to actually pick a location to do so or build any production models, and they're not expected to do so until 2022 at the earliest.

te I think the model s and model 3 are similar cars.

To me the S drove like a land yacht compared to the 3 and sucked in tight parking lots too.... though the P100D was ridiculously quicker feeling in a straight line.

BMWs best "I want to have fun on a track" car has generally been one of the smaller sedans: M3 or now the M2. The straight line fastest is usually something else, but also not a 7-series.

The best fun-to-drive porsche is the Cayman, not the 911. The smaller cheaper car... Not as fast in a straight line: more fun on a track. And starts in the 6-figures.

Gimme a M3Paid that's more fun on a track than the best Model S. Charge a lot for it, it's fine. And for me personally, I'll take the bigger battery and better range, thanks.

BMWs best "I want to have fun on a track" car has generally been one of the smaller sedans: M3 or now the M2. The straight line fastest is usually something else, but also not a 7-series.

The best fun-to-drive porsche is the Cayman, not the 911. The smaller cheaper car... Not as fast in a straight line: more fun on a track. And starts in the 6-figures.

Gimme a M3Paid that's more fun on a track than the best Model S. Charge a lot for it, it's fine. And for me personally, I'll take the bigger battery and better range, thanks.

Track vs road cars does get really interesting.

For BMW, their best track car may have been their 1M. Then agreed that you probably want to go with the smaller ones (M2). Same with Porsche with the Cayman - although the turbo 4 lacks the aural pleasure (assuming we're not talking GT4's here). Also assuming we're not getting into the really fun 911s - GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS that are crazy expensive.

The 911 and M3/4 are GTs so, while fast, they're not going to be as hardcore as a track-oriented car, generally speaking.

I'd like to see something sporty in the $90k-$100k range that's smaller than the Model 3. Preferably with a little GT in it still as I'd like a back seat (even a small-ish one).

Reactions: Florafauna
tesla makes a roadster... also, aren’t they supposedly making a coup for sub 25k? Maybe the do a plaid version of that for 50-60k... I think the model s and model 3 are similar cars.

plad will suck juice from the battery at higher rates. the larger the battery, the less juice is pulled per cell. Doing plad on a 25k car is dumb because if they can't do it on a 75kwh battery, they won't be doing it on a 50kwh battery.

Racing has always been a huge interest for me, but first things first.... I had a family to support and raise. Now that I'm finding myself older with fewer financial responsibilities than I had, as well as 30 years of a career under my belt, I can finally splurge a bit (within reason) to dream up my personal unicorn car.

Imagine a Tesla Model 3 that had the interior build quality of a Lexus, the adjustable suspension (and other racing type refinements) of a BMW M3, and a Plaid+ type drivetrain. Talk about my dream car... just perfect for me. Just as comfortable throwing the family in it for a movie night as it is on the 1/4 mile strip and the oval. Not to mention the twisties. One car fits all. Zero to sixty in the low twos. Quarter mile in just over 10. With a suspension capable of a kidney punishing 1.0+ on the skid pad, yet adjustable down to grocery getter levels.

And having "Chill" mode for the wife, so she's just as comfy driving it as our current Stealth performance. She does drive our current car in Chill mode with the relaxed steering mode, too.

I couldn't order such a car fast enough.

Edit: We have a really nice racing facility just down the road (about 110 miles), too.

I get what you mean, but I thought we were simply talking about a Plaid power boost alone? I don’t think that would be worth the price being discussed on this thread. The current P with a few suspension tweaks is already a pretty competitive track weapon at a reasonable price. For road use alone (probably more than 99% of owners) a Plaid version would be purely vanity driven. Although I do realise that vanity alone is a big draw to ever increasing power!

By that argument, there isn’t a need for a Plaid or a Plaid+ Model S... but Tesla is making them anyway because it’s what people want.
If need was the sole criteria for making something, then we would not have many of the things that exist today... Know what I mean??

S Plaid+ is a great example of pointless excess in our world of status symbols. Who in their right mind would not find the standard Plaid version quick enough and feel the need to “upgrade” to the plus? I do wish Tesla would focus a bit more on getting basic stuff sorted first rather than chasing headline straight line performance just for the sake of it. That’s one thing I’ve always admired Porsche for, although I’m still more of a Tesla fan these days for many other reasons.

So how about a Model 3 with upmarket interior and class leading build quality? Then make it faster if people insist.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned it yet,
but a major additional option for the Model 3 and Y would be to get air suspension like the Model S an X.

If air suspension was provided, may be at a cost of $5k, this would be a very popular option.

Otherwise, don't the Made in Germany future Model Y will get the 4680 fat cells?
If so, a Model 3 LR+ and P+ would be also a new attractive option.

Reactions: Phlier
S Plaid+ is a great example of pointless excess in our world of status symbols. Who in their right mind would not find the standard Plaid version quick enough and feel the need to “upgrade” to the plus? I do wish Tesla would focus a bit more on getting basic stuff sorted first rather than chasing headline straight line performance just for the sake of it. That’s one thing I’ve always admired Porsche for, although I’m still more of a Tesla fan these days for many other reasons.

So how about a Model 3 with upmarket interior and class leading build quality? Then make it faster if people insist.

Good observations.

However, I cannot think of a better example/definition of pointless excess, than everything that is made by Porsche or any other exotic car manufacturer for that matter. Tesla is really not much different in that regard. Bottom line is.... there is a big demand/market for pointless excess. Sorry to say, but if you own a Model 3 (even the base trim), then you fall into that category of buying something that is a pointless excess. If the goal is to own a good solid practical EV, then why not just get a Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf? Both of these are fine vehicles, very practical, plenty fast and considerably less expensive/excessive than a Tesla.

To me, Tesla does not make “luxury” vehicles (in terms of premium materials and plush interiors). Instead, I view Tesla as making ultra-high performance vehicles with just slightly above average interiors. Even the interior of their most expensive Model S is not that great/luxurious IMO. However, that is OK with me, because I purchased knowing that what I’m really paying for is performance and not “luxury”. To be honest, the interior of my Model 3 is plenty comfortable & luxurious for me. Could it be better? Absolutely. But, it’s not necessary (for me).
The only area where I think Tesla really needs to improve is quality control in their assembly line (better control of panel gaps, missing clips, loose wiring harnesses, etc... and perhaps paint). If Tesla does end up offering a Plaid Model 3, I would expect them to also have a more refined interior as well. However, even if they don’t, I’m OK with that because of the huge gain in acceleration & speed (and probably range) that come with a “Plaid” trim. For those who value luxury over performance, expect/demand an ultra-plush interior when spending $75-100K on a vehicle, or are simply more practical in nature,... then a Plaid Model 3 is probably not for them.

Finally, to answer your question about why anyone would feel the need to get the Plaid+ S over the standard Plaid S, I think it would be for the huge increase in range (over 520 miles for the Plaid+ versus “just” 390 miles for the standard Plaid).
Of course nothing has been finalized yet, but at least right now, Tesla is showing nearly identical speed & acceleration numbers for the Plaid and Plaid+ S. For 0-60 acceleration, they show “1.99 sec” for the Plaid and “< 1.99 sec” for the Plaid+.
Looks like there will be around 100 hp difference between the Plaid S (1020 hp) and Plaid+ S (1100+ hp). If that holds true, then 100hp should not significantly improve that 1.99 sec 0-60 time. We shall see!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Phlier