Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

would you pay to have your car unplugged and moved for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't you guys remember Elon's automatic snake charger cable that would prop up and plug into a car by itself, if that comes back to life and it can unplug, then setup full self driving - it can pull out itself and you wouldn't need any humans involved...

Then, SkyNet will take over all Tesla's, arming sentry model 24/7 against owners, eating owners whole and imprisoning them in their frunk, Arnold will probably our only hope at this point!

• Funny
Reactions: gilscales
So let me get this straight. You would pay someone else to move the car instead of paying the idle fee? Sounds like a wash for people who over stay their charging session anyways. It would be a hard business model. I do agree it is better for everyone because it frees up charging slots, but keep in mind some places already have valets tesla offers for free to help keep people moving.

Overall I think the problem is not lacks of valet, lack of charger, etc. It is free unlimited supercharging. I see countless people leaving their cars and having other family members pick them up in gas cars to go somewhere else while the car charges to 100% which we all know takes ages which occupies the slot an extra 45 minutes while they charge from 80% to 100%.

The only real solution is get rid of free unlimited charging which tesla has already done. What you are seeing is just the free 6-9 months of free supercharging tesla is offering to new model 3 customer up until recently before February.

As more old free unlimited supercharging model s/x falls off the recorded due to crashes, there will be less and less free unlimited supercharging cars which will free up those slot assuming tesla maintains the high idle fees.

Overall I think the problem is not lacks of valet, lack of charger, etc. It is free unlimited supercharging. I see countless people leaving their cars and having other family members pick them up in gas cars to go somewhere else while the car charges to 100% which we all know takes ages which occupies the slot an extra 45 minutes while they charge from 80% to 100%.
1. It's a very unusual day when I see even two other Teslas being charged. Usually I'm alone charging. I only use them on trips.
2. No unlimited Supercharging is a very big disincentive for me to purchase a new Tesla.
3. I'm perfectly fine with unlimited free Supercharging for trips only (meaning that SCing wouldn't be free within a certain radius of your registered home and registered workplace, regardless of anything else) as that's what they were originally intended for.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
1. It's a very unusual day when I see even two other Teslas being charged. Usually I'm alone charging. I only use them on trips.
2. No unlimited Supercharging is a very big disincentive for me to purchase a new Tesla.
3. I'm perfectly fine with unlimited free Supercharging for trips only (meaning that SCing wouldn't be free within a certain radius of your registered home and registered workplace, regardless of anything else) as that's what they were originally intended for.

That's probably because you're in Texas. I've never once experienced a wait at a supercharger either so that concept is completely foreign to me. But the folks over in California are literally experiencing the polar opposite.

1) like other said, this is mainly a problem in the populous states.

2) I think you mean free unlimited supercharging. I agree if Tesla prevents people from even paying to supercharge just because they supercharged too many times, then that is definitely a big disincentive. It would essentially relegate the Tesla to a Nissan Leaf or Hyundai Kona. But if you mean free unlimited supercharging, just look at the recent numbers of Model 3s. They don't come with free unlimited supercharging and so far it is still selling. Like my previous post on other threads, free unlimited supercharging only make financially sense in the long run if you are in a very specific group of people with very specific set of conditions. Otherwise it is much cheaper and convenient in the long run for you to just pay for the times you use the supercharging stations.

3) Sure, but people will find ways around this. They would just registered it at a relative's place or their vacation home, etc. Or register work place somewhere else. And don't open the pandora box about tracking people's car to know where they live/work. Moreover, the original agreement is free unlimited supercharging regardless of location. So Tesla would be sued instantly for false advertisement if they ever implemented this on all cars retroactively. All in all, there is no good low cost way to solve this. Tesla just need to build more stations and hope people are courteous and respect each other's time.

And to answer OP's original question:
No.

Last edited:
1) like other said, this is mainly a problem in the populous states.

2) I think you mean free unlimited supercharging. I agree if Tesla prevents people from even paying to supercharge, then that is definitely a big disincentive.

3) Sure, but people will find ways around this. They would just registered it at a relative's place or their vacation home, etc. Or register work place somewhere else. And don't open the pandora box about tracking people's car to know where they live/work. Moreover, the original agreement is free unlimited supercharging regardless of location. So Tesla would be sued instantly for false advertisement if they ever implemented this on all cars retroactively. All in all, there is no good low cost way to solve this. Tesla just need to build more stations and hope people are courteous and respect each other's time.

Yes, I know about the problem in the more Tesla dense states. Just pointing out that it's not a problem everywhere.

I guess I'm one of the few who purchased a Tesla because I'm cheap (not that green and techie weren't also a consideration). I really hate paying for things where the only thing I have after the purchase is a receipt (such as gas and electricity). And yes, I know that everything becomes a receipt sooner or later, except maybe inland real estate.

I was talking about going forward, not retroactively. I agree doing it retroactively would be bad. And yes, there are always going to be people who cheat (just look at the politicians), but the majority will follow the rules if they make sense and understand the reason. Of course more and larger locations is the real solution along with electrified condos and apartments. When I purchased mine, the nearest SC was in California--all three of them--and it took a few years before there were enough to use for travel. Didn't stop us from going on trips though, just used RV parks first and later RV parks plus kind Tesla owners with HPWCs.

Why not just charge at home?
Also I’d rather not have other people drive my car. We valeted a loaner P90d (which we had been driving for months) and the next day the front end got caught on a supercharger curb and caused $2500 in damage. We suspect it was damaged by the valet but it’s hard to prove that.