Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Robotaxi your car?

Would you Robotaxi your car?

• Yes

Votes: 51 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 91 64.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to make a very stripped-down Model 3 "taxi edition" car for this purpose. One with a very basic interior, hard plastic upholstery on the doors, cloth seats, rubber floor mats, no fancy radio, etc. To paraphrase The Blues Brothers -- "Taxi interior, taxi wheels, taxi stereo, taxi everything". And only then, maybe it'd be worth the trouble.

In my early production LR RWD 3, no way in hell.

I think Elon made a mistake at the Autonomy reveal when he said there'd be a million robotaxis in a year. He should have said that there would be a million Teslas CAPABLE of doing robotaxi work. A notably different thing.
Indeed. We have to overcome the culture of sabotaging-by-envy because you have a Tesla and the taxied person does not... scratches, stains, odors, food morsels, dog/cat pee/droppings, left behind half eaten fish.... You know this will happen more than accidents.

Maybe, the auto-envy culture will have changed by 2060....

Tesla needs to make a very stripped-down Model 3 "taxi edition" car for this purpose. One with a very basic interior, hard plastic upholstery on the doors, cloth seats, rubber floor mats, no fancy radio, etc. To paraphrase The Blues Brothers -- "Taxi interior, taxi wheels, taxi stereo, taxi everything". And only then, maybe it'd be worth the trouble.

I think Elon made a mistake at the Autonomy reveal when he said there'd be a million robotaxis in a year. He should have said that there would be a million Teslas CAPABLE of doing robotaxi work. A notably different thing.
Agreed. I love the idea of using an electric self driving car as a taxi but not one as luxurious as my car. I already want to make people go through a decontamination chamber before they get in and am horrified by how gross everyone is. If a stranger that was unvetted was in my car I don't think I would be ok. I have seen what other people do in taxis before.

I think he was referring to the standard plus range as the car to use for this.

I don’t understand how robo-taxis can ever work.
How can you prevent vandalism of the interior? People will vomit, fornicate, urinate, defecate (not necessarily in that order).
They will graffiti, scratch their name in the glass, treat it like public transport without a security guard.
Unless the car is inspected after every ride you would not know who did it.

My pessimistic point of view : I doubt the level 5 will be here before we change our car. Right now this business about pushing the robotaxi is just a way to push the sale of the fsd.
Don't get me wrong, I love my model 3 but all I can see is a company which right now is in a challenging position and creatively trying to raise cash.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
I'm on the fence, leaning towards a yes, at least temporarily, as the early customers who'd be willing to take a self driving Tesla as a rideshare may be a more respectful group than a typical ridesharer... plus I'd have time constraints and areas as my own personal guidelines to throw my personal vehicle into the fleet.

Is it required to have purchased FSD to be able to put the vehicle into the Robotaxi network or for those who do not have FSD, will it be possible to add the car to the fleet, and then the car, when in that mode, will use FSD?

I won't be joining the Robotaxi with my Model 3.

I did have a question of when Tesla would be start doing internal testing of the Robotaxi app and experience to fine-tune all the details for ridesharing.

• Requesting a ride
• Added additional waypoints to your current ride
• Playing music
• Submitting feedback/rating on your ride experience
• Charging your phone

Just to name a few