Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you trust FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I am one of those people that likes to be in control wether it is swerving to avoid a pothole or a squirrel. I like to know it’s me at fault if something happens.

would you use FSD when it releases?

I was going to lunch today and noticed the lights on my screen were not matching up with the color of the actual street lights. I’ve seen this before as well and just wouldn’t trust it. That’s asking to blow through a red light.

I think it will always need the human element personally. Until it can save my 20’s and avoid potholes in the DMV area I won’t be using it.

Attachments

• 800B8905-2B45-4085-993C-A74E0FBDAF81.jpeg
    800B8905-2B45-4085-993C-A74E0FBDAF81.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 109
First you can't judge future capability completely by current. The current system is only listed as being usable on limited access freeways with no construction or cross traffic and with hands on wheel. In that situation the car does great and has improved a lot since I got it in July '18. That said when they OK hands off for highway I'll trust it.

Surface streets are a ways out. They just started showing screen visualization and there are no features yet that use them. When they OK hands on surface street usage of AP then we'll see how well it works. The software is not even on our cars yet so we cannot judge its capability yet. Once they OK hands off surface street driving it will be way more advanced than what we can see now with the software.

No. The way Tesla is trying to implement FSD is basically by creating general AI, or a very close approximation. They're basically trying to use computer vision and minor input from sensors to navigate a world designed for human drivers. That is a HUGE task and they seem to be under a lot of pressure to deliver it quickly because people pre-paid for it. So I'm betting the first several iterations will very unreliable and require constant attention from the driver just so they can claim they delivered something.

I think we're still many, many, years off from having a Tesla that can drive itself without someone sitting in the drivers seat. (if ever) The way companies like Waymo are doing it use much more sophisticated, and expensive, sensors along with high resolution mapping and real time data updates about changing conditions. And their system only works in a very small area in AZ where the weather is essentially perfect year round.

I bought the car because I hate real-world driving (though less than I hate public transit). I will try and continue to use every driver assistance feature that they release, if I find it's less work or more efficient than doing the same thing myself. I don't usually use auto-park, for example, because it's slow.

If they ever actually release L4 FSD, which I don't see happening for a decade or so, I'll use it. I probably won't sleep or read or anything at first, but maybe after a while if it earns my trust.

I don't personally find the question "Would you trust a system that doesn't even exist yet and we know nothing at all about the safety or reliability of?" terribly useful.

Pointing at what L2 systems do today to try and inform that question is kinda like pointing at a toddler tripping while learning to walk and concluding the adult they'll grow into can never be trusted to do so.

I don't personally find the question "Would you trust a system that doesn't even exist yet and we know nothing at all about the safety or reliability of?" terribly useful.

Pointing at what L2 systems do today to try and inform that question is kinda like pointing at a toddler tripping while learning to walk and concluding the adult they'll grow into can never be trusted to do so.
Sounds like you would trust it with your life. I value mine more then you apparently. Thanks for your input though.

The pictures is really blurred, but could the reason for one light showing green on the display is because it's a left turn light that is green?

lights.jpg

As for trusting it, no, not at this point. Perhaps in a few years when (if) it's fully refined. Currently, when I drive down a freeway and the car suddenly brakes for no apparent reason or ping pongs so far it hits the botsdots, that's too dangerous to take to a second level of FSD on city streets. IMO...

The pictures is really blurred, but could the reason for one light showing green on the display is because it's a left turn light that is green?

View attachment 515793

As for trusting it, no, not at this point. Perhaps in a few years when (if) it's fully refined. Currently, when I drive down a freeway and the car suddenly brakes for no apparent reason or ping pongs so far it hits the botsdots, that's too dangerous to take to a second level of FSD on city streets. IMO...
No those blurry lights weren't turn lights, those lights were facing the opposite direction for oncoming traffic. I have even seen it pick 2 red lights as 2 green lights which really scared me but I didn't get a picture of that occurrence.

Reactions: St☰v☰
Sounds like you would trust it with your life. I value mine more then you apparently. Thanks for your input though.
So you ask a question, receive a response that really doesn’t answer your question, you ASSUME he values life less, then proceed to passive-aggressively put him down.

This thread is going into the crapper real quick. LOL

There’s nothing to trust right now. As others have said, FSD isn’t ready yet. The visualizations you’re seeing are features that are still in beta. I wouldn’t make any judgments of the final, Level 5 autonomous product based on what you see today.

Once (if?) it’s ready, I’m sure it will be fine. Way too much at stake for Tesla to release an unsafe product.

But Elon said the robotaxi network would up and running this year. Are you saying he lied? ;)

They have been super bullish and overly optimistic on this feature. I'm betting we've still got 5+ years before it's even close to level 4.

If you shoot for the stars, you might hit the moon, and that’s pretty darn good.

Being overly-optimistic isn’t the same as lying. But I guess there probably are people out there who have their reasons for conflating the two.

If you shoot for the stars, you might hit the moon, and that’s pretty darn good.

Being overly-optimistic isn’t the same as lying. But I guess there probably are people out there who have their reasons for conflating the two.

If he was just saying it, and not pre-selling it, I'd feel a bit different. But people are paying an extra $7k right now for a feature that doesn't really exist with the exception of a few beta bits that don't work all that well.

Reactions: cwerdna and Matias
I know I am one of those people that likes to be in control wether it is swerving to avoid a pothole or a squirrel. I like to know it’s me at fault if something happens.

would you use FSD when it releases?

I was going to lunch today and noticed the lights on my screen were not matching up with the color of the actual street lights. I’ve seen this before as well and just wouldn’t trust it. That’s asking to blow through a red light.

I think it will always need the human element personally. Until it can save my 20’s and avoid potholes in the DMV area I won’t be using it.
Only after a lot of trial and proving runs. That being said, I’d be ditching the 20’s for sure.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
If he was just saying it, and not pre-selling it, I'd feel a bit different. But people are paying an extra $7k right now for a feature that doesn't really exist with the exception of a few beta bits that don't work all that well.

Maybe. But there seem to be quite a few people who bought FSD for $7K and are happy with what they have right now.

If you’re spending that kind of money, you owe it to yourself to really understand what you’re getting and not just rely on the entity selling it. But even still, what Tesla is promising (even if it’s late..or really late) isn’t without value. FSD can only get better, even if it never gets to level 5.