Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you upgrade your recent Model S to a new Long Range model?

What would it take for you to upgrade your Model S to new Long Range model?

• Let me keep my Unlimited Supercharging

Votes: 63 34.8%
  • Let me transfer my FSD to new car or give me free FSD

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Nothing, happy to pay the difference to upgrade

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Let me choose options up to equivalent value of Ludicrous mode

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Other ( if you chose Other, please what it would be in the comments )

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I'm happy with my current model, not going to upgrade it

Votes: 66 36.5%
  • Let me keep unlimited supercharging AND FSD!!

Votes: 39 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There needs to be a lot more than a 35 mile range extension and improved suspension (which I feel is fine as is) to get me to take a huge loss on my current 100D. They could include free supercharging and FSD and I wouldn't budge. Bear in mind I dropped $5k on XPEL Ultimate and CQuartz Finest, and no way I get any of that back on resale.

How’s your CQUARTZ Finest holding up? I just had it done, over Suntek PPF. What are you doing to maintain the CQUARTZ?

How’s your CQUARTZ Finest holding up? I just had it done, over Suntek PPF. What are you doing to maintain the CQUARTZ?
It's been just over 2 years and the car remains very easy to clean and the paint still looks brand new. I've read that it's supposed to only last 2 years, so I may need a new application at some point. I've not done anything special to maintain it, but I hand wash the car myself so I know it's done right.

We have both refresh 2016’s and a 2018 P100DL. I see nothing in the performance refresh that would get us to upgrade either our 16’s or ‘18 even if the price difference was not even factored in. I’m very curious to see what the actual range increase will be when the cars arrive. I’m also wondering if it it will be close to the claims in reality. With Tesla claims don’t always match what is delivered, sometimes good sometimes not. It’s too early to know how this will shake out, I wouldn’t be too surprised if the range increase is optimistic.

Reactions: shellderp
We have a 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D - both with FSD, FUSC and extended warranties.

Our S 100D has a sunroof, which is used frequently - an option no longer available.

The "free Ludicrous" requires purchasing the Performance model, which only provides 345 miles of rated range, not that much of an improvement from an S 100D.

Our 100D's were purchased with the $7500 tax credit, which is now $3750 (through June).

Both of our vehicles took a re-sale price hit when Tesla lowered the prices for new S/X this year.

While the new S/X battery pack is an improvement over the 100D battery packs, Musk said they are planning to introduce an even newer pack next year, increasing lifetime from 300-400K miles to 1M miles, plus it would likely support full V3 supercharging.

Tesla would likely need to do more than provide FSD/FUSC for free to get us to purchase another vehicle - and pay the sales tax again.

And if we did purchase a new S/X, it would be the Long Range model - not Performance with Ludicrous...

We have a 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D - both with FSD, FUSC and extended warranties.

While the new S/X battery pack is an improvement over the 100D battery packs, Musk said they are planning to introduce an even newer pack next year, increasing lifetime from 300-400K miles to 1M miles, plus it would likely support full V3 supercharging.

I believe I read they said they are the same 100 battery packs, the changes were not to the battery but to the drivetrain. I like you prefer the sunroof option to the fixed glass roof but there are also some folks that liked the no longer offered solid roof cars in super hot areas like Texas, Arizona, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inside
It's been just over 2 years and the car remains very easy to clean and the paint still looks brand new. I've read that it's supposed to only last 2 years, so I may need a new application at some point. I've not done anything special to maintain it, but I hand wash the car myself so I know it's done right.

OK, thanks. The guy who applied my CQUARTZ Finest recommended I come in once a year for a $250 “booster”. Do you use normal cleaning products (tar/bug remover, Turtle wash, etc)? I’m scared to use anything that doesn’t come from the same manufacturer.

I probably have one of the oldest cars here. March 2014 Model S 85. No AP whatsoever. Supercharging is the slowest of all cars and it got 25% slower over the years compared to when it was new. Range has dropped due to degradation as well.

Compared to what I have right now it would be a great upgrade in every department. It would supercharge twice as fast, it would get 135 miles more range than I have now, I'd get AP, better performance, much better suspension. Both range and faster supercharging would be a big help to me. I drive 45k miles a years, lots of road trips. I would save me literally hours on each trip! But then my car is worth maybe $25k at this point so it would be an $80k upgrade. Loosing free Supercharging would also add a significant cost as I'm using superchargers for 70% of my miles.

Bottom line, as much as it would have real benefits for me, I don't see myself paying $80k for it when a LR Model 3 would give me almost the same advantages for less than half of that (again after subtracting the value of my old car).

FSD and unlimited supercharging, carbon spoiler, sport pedals, real leather and sunroof. These things are the options I would like to keep in a new car if I was going to change out my almost 2 year old S.
They are never going to do real leather. Why do you care about the spoiler? It has no real value or purpose. Sport pedals are seriously that important? I never understand the sunroof thing. I have had numerous cars with sunroofs and never used them. They were very noisy and occasionally leaked. I never want one again based on experience.

Reactions: Inside
They are never going to do real leather. Why do you care about the spoiler? It has no real value or purpose. Sport pedals are seriously that important? I never understand the sunroof thing. I have had numerous cars with sunroofs and never used them. They were very noisy and occasionally leaked. I never want one again based on experience.

Sport pedals is something that I have choose to order on all my vehicles, even my service van. I don't know where you live, but here in Norway we have snow under our shoes for almost half a year, each year, and with sport pedals your pedals is not that slippy as regular rubber pedals. I know alot of people does not care, but I personally feel more comfortable with the added grip over regular rubber pedals.

The spoiler, is just that little bit of extra styling that I like, just as I debagded everything except the "T", just a personal taste.

About the sunroof, if you, like me, live most of the year in darkness and cold, you know how to appreciate the sun and warmth that comes a couple months each year...

Reactions: WattMobile
So far, more people seem to be leaning to keeping current Model S. Curious what incentives would entice people to make a switch? Perhaps Tesla could buy out current Model S' that have AP 2.5 HW ( i.e. enough HW to support FSD ) for their Robo Taxi fleet to offer a premium service, kind of like Uber Black.....

• Funny
Reactions: whitex
So far, more people seem to be leaning to keeping current Model S. Curious what incentives would entice people to make a switch? Perhaps Tesla could buy out current Model S' that have AP 2.5 HW ( i.e. enough HW to support FSD ) for their Robo Taxi fleet to offer a premium service, kind of like Uber Black.....
What incentives? A decent trade-in on my old car. That's all. No-one has massive issues with the new cars (a few minor ones like sunroof and FSD pricing), they just don't want to spend crazy money ON TOP OF what they spent already!

I believe I read they said they are the same 100 battery packs, the changes were not to the battery but to the drivetrain. I like you prefer the sunroof option to the fixed glass roof but there are also some folks that liked the no longer offered solid roof cars in super hot areas like Texas, Arizona, etc.

Since Jan 2013, I've driven two Model S with sunroofs - in Texas - and haven't had any problems, using the sunroof frequently when the temperature is between 60-85 and not driving at highway speeds - and would miss the sunroof if Tesla didn't make it available again on the S when it's time to replace our 2017 S 100D.

Tesla was always going to lose some sales of S/X when 3/Y were introduced, because many S/X owners wouldn't have purchased their S/X in the first place if the lower priced 3/Y was available. So it's not surprising S/X sales declined once the $7500 tax credit expired (while Model 3 was still in limited availability).

To maintain S/X sales, Tesla will have to do more than just having the S/X as larger versions of 3/Y (which should be the case next year when Tesla releases the new S/X battery packs with full V3 supercharging).

And if they really wanted to encourage more S/X owners to purchase replacement S/X today, they'll need to do better than a free Ludicrous mode, because most S/X owners didn't order performance versions before - and probably wouldn't want to lose 25 miles of range and spend $10K more just to get even more acceleration than they can use for daily driving...

Tesla: For S/X - bring back "free long distance supercharging" and take other steps to differentiate S/X from 3/Y (such as including free FSD for owners upgrading from a current S/X?).

Since Jan 2013, I've driven two Model S with sunroofs - in Texas - and haven't had any problems, using the sunroof frequently when the temperature is between 60-85 and not driving at highway speeds - and would miss the sunroof if Tesla didn't make it available again on the S when it's time to replace our 2017 S 100D.

Tesla was always going to lose some sales of S/X when 3/Y were introduced, because many S/X owners wouldn't have purchased their S/X in the first place if the lower priced 3/Y was available. So it's not surprising S/X sales declined once the $7500 tax credit expired (while Model 3 was still in limited availability).

To maintain S/X sales, Tesla will have to do more than just having the S/X as larger versions of 3/Y (which should be the case next year when Tesla releases the new S/X battery packs with full V3 supercharging).

And if they really wanted to encourage more S/X owners to purchase replacement S/X today, they'll need to do better than a free Ludicrous mode, because most S/X owners didn't order performance versions before - and probably wouldn't want to lose 25 miles of range and spend $10K more just to get even more acceleration than they can use for daily driving...

Tesla: For S/X - bring back "free long distance supercharging" and take other steps to differentiate S/X from 3/Y (such as including free FSD for owners upgrading from a current S/X?).

DITTO

Anyone else get an email from Tesla today with the subject: "Introducing the Longest-Range Electric Vehicle in Production"?

Email stated:

Experience the longest-range electric vehicles in production — now able to travel 10 percent farther on a single charge.
With an all-new drivetrain design, Model S and Model X Long Range can now achieve a landmark 370 miles and 325 miles, respectively. Combined with a brand-new adaptive suspension system, these improvements deliver the best range, acceleration and ride comfort ever. Learn more.
As an existing owner, you will receive a free Ludicrous Mode upgrade, a $20,000 value, if you purchase a new Model S or Model X Performance car.
Refer a friend before May 28, 2019 to earn our latest Referral Program benefits including 5,000 free Supercharger miles and five chances to win a Founders Series Model Y or Roadster.

So, anyone planning to pull the trigger?