Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you upgrade your recent Model S to a new Long Range model?

What would it take for you to upgrade your Model S to new Long Range model?

• Let me keep my Unlimited Supercharging

Votes: 63 34.8%
  • Let me transfer my FSD to new car or give me free FSD

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Nothing, happy to pay the difference to upgrade

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Let me choose options up to equivalent value of Ludicrous mode

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Other ( if you chose Other, please what it would be in the comments )

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I'm happy with my current model, not going to upgrade it

Votes: 66 36.5%
  • Let me keep unlimited supercharging AND FSD!!

Votes: 39 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Jan 2013, I've driven two Model S with sunroofs - in Texas - and haven't had any problems, using the sunroof frequently when the temperature is between 60-85 and not driving at highway speeds - and would miss the sunroof if Tesla didn't make it available again on the S when it's time to replace our 2017 S 100D.

Tesla was always going to lose some sales of S/X when 3/Y were introduced, because many S/X owners wouldn't have purchased their S/X in the first place if the lower priced 3/Y was available. So it's not surprising S/X sales declined once the $7500 tax credit expired (while Model 3 was still in limited availability).

To maintain S/X sales, Tesla will have to do more than just having the S/X as larger versions of 3/Y (which should be the case next year when Tesla releases the new S/X battery packs with full V3 supercharging).

And if they really wanted to encourage more S/X owners to purchase replacement S/X today, they'll need to do better than a free Ludicrous mode, because most S/X owners didn't order performance versions before - and probably wouldn't want to lose 25 miles of range and spend $10K more just to get even more acceleration than they can use for daily driving...

Tesla: For S/X - bring back "free long distance supercharging" and take other steps to differentiate S/X from 3/Y (such as including free FSD for owners upgrading from a current S/X?).
Exactly

April 2017 S100D owner and I will most likely upgrade to an S Performance before end of quarter. Price of the vehicle now is about the same as what I paid for mine new 2 years ago. The free Ludicrous upgrade is a strong benefit, plus all of the other things standard on the Model S Performance that I did not get on my 2017 vehicle (air suspension, upgraded audio, MCU2, etc.). Free unlimited supercharging is of trivial value, especially given that the current referral program offers "5000 miles" of free supercharging (not sure how many kWh that is by Tesla math, but probably something around 1500).

I have other reasons specific to my vehicle that make me want to "wash my hands" of it, but the Model S Performance for an existing owner with referral code is an excellent value in my situation.

So far, more people seem to be leaning to keeping current Model S. Curious what incentives would entice people to make a switch? Perhaps Tesla could buy out current Model S' that have AP 2.5 HW ( i.e. enough HW to support FSD ) for their Robo Taxi fleet to offer a premium service, kind of like Uber Black.....
I would upgrade if the Robo Taxi thing is for real, because my existing car would become self-funding. That frees me up to buy another one.

Not the bare metal itself, but the way rubber and sometimes holes are layed out on the pedal gives more grip on sport pedals than the small "riffles" in the rubber that are on regular pedals.

I thought those "riffles" in the rubber are meant to provide exactly that: more grip. Whereas, the metal is just for the look and slipperier on purpose for the ease of foot transition between pedals. Oh, well ...

April 2017 S100D owner and I will most likely upgrade to an S Performance before end of quarter. Price of the vehicle now is about the same as what I paid for mine new 2 years ago. The free Ludicrous upgrade is a strong benefit, plus all of the other things standard on the Model S Performance that I did not get on my 2017 vehicle (air suspension, upgraded audio, MCU2, etc.). Free unlimited supercharging is of trivial value, especially given that the current referral program offers "5000 miles" of free supercharging (not sure how many kWh that is by Tesla math, but probably something around 1500).

I have other reasons specific to my vehicle that make me want to "wash my hands" of it, but the Model S Performance for an existing owner with referral code is an excellent value in my situation.
Just did, on April 30th to replace my 2015 P90D. Would have been nice to get to keep free supercharging, but since we also have a 2017 S with unlimited free supercharging, we never take road trips with the 2015 P90D anymore, so it really doesn't matter for our use case (we always charge locally at home). The new S will be great for local + extended local travel (Texas Hill Country).

Here is the thing for me, traditional franchised car dealers will inflate the trade value of your trade to spur new vehicle sales. Tesla devalues the trade partially because they don’t have the ability to repair and refurbish to generate a profit. Often traditional car dealers will have factory sponsored conquest or loyalty money to pad up the trade values. By Tesla low balling trades, then initially looking to make large profits on what may be a beat up car without refurbishing it, then finally blowing the beat trades out at a below market value they depress the used value of all other used Teslas. Buyers use the cheapest beat up Tesla CPO cars as the yardstick when setting the values. Tesla should step up offers for clean trades to move vehicles therefore eliminating the excess inventory and resulting rush of fire sale pricing at end of bad quarters. Traditional car dealers operate both new vehicle sales and used vehicle sales as professional profitable businesses, Tesla looks at used vehicle sales as an inconvenience to selling new cars. When Tesla was not selling as many cars they could get away with this amateur business behavior but it is now catching up with them and they respond by panicking and slashing prices and single-handedly driving down both new and used prices rapidly.

Last edited:
Reactions: darxsys
Here is the thing for me, traditional franchised car dealers will inflate the trade value of your trade to spur new vehicle sales. Tesla devalues the trade partially because they don’t have the ability to repair and refurbish to generate a profit. Often traditional car dealers will have factory sponsored conquest or loyalty money to pad up the trade values. By Tesla low balling trades, then initially looking to make large profits on what may be a beat up car without refurbishing it, then finally blowing the beat trades out at a below market value they depress the used value of all other used Teslas. Buyers use the cheapest beat up Tesla CPO cars as the yardstick when setting the values. Tesla should step up offers for clean trades to move vehicles therefore eliminating the excess inventory and resulting rush of fire sale pricing at end of bad quarters. Traditional car dealers operate both new vehicle sales and used vehicle sales as professional profitable businesses, Tesla looks at used vehicle sales as an inconvenience to selling new cars.

I actually went to check how much they would offer for my 85D if I ordered the new long range model. $34k was Tesla’s offer. No, thanks.

Could’ve had an order from me, but with such low balling, they definitely won’t.

Reactions: Alphacrux
I thought those "riffles" in the rubber are meant to provide exactly that: more grip. Whereas, the metal is just for the look and slipperier on purpose for the ease of foot transition between pedals. Oh, well ...

Yes, the "riffles" works perfectly on dry shoes, but with snow the "riffles" are to low as the rubber around the "riffles" are the same height.
On the metal ones, the rubber strips are higher and farther between, and the feeling of more contact is there. Maybe it's because the "riffles" are getting -filled up- with slush and snow between, so it's just like one blank rubber.

However, this could be just a personal issue, based on the feeling I get back from my shoe, but once I tried sport pedals, I've ordered it for every car. Except the service van, I forgot it when I ordered the car, so had to order it afterwards.
This was in January, and it got better with "sport pedals" with snow under the boots.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Try Vroom. Got a much better offer than from Tesla.
I sold my 2015 P85D in one day ($50,000). Told a couple friends I was selling it, and had several people reaching out that they wanted it. Got $5,500 more than Vroom and WAY more than Tesla offered. I asked for a little less than Tesla was asking on their website for the same car.

Reactions: darxsys
I'm surprised only about a third of respondents said they would not upgrade. The majority of S's on the road are less than 3 years old, and not much different than what's sold today. There can't be that many Tesla owners that routinely upgrade every three years, which is about what this is. I'll bet a lot of those saying they would upgrade if they got to keep FSD and/or free supercharging actually would not upgrade if offered that, especially once they see how little they would get for their trade-in.

I'm surprised only about a third of respondents said they would not upgrade. The majority of S's on the road are less than 3 years old, and not much different than what's sold today. There can't be that many Tesla owners that routinely upgrade every three years, which is about what this is. I'll bet a lot of those saying they would upgrade if they got to keep FSD and/or free supercharging actually would not upgrade if offered that, especially once they see how little they would get for their trade-in.

Not everyone responds to threads...plenty of people just are just lurkers and don’t like to post. Looking back at the classifieds on here, there were more new for sale ads for for used Tesla’s the week after the announcement for the new upgrade than there were the whole month prior.