Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow - AP2 HUGE improvement with .40 firmware!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya damn skippy!!!

That whooshing sound you hear is a planetary sigh of relief. Although you might have occasion to double down!

Two thoughts/questions in case you experience these scenarios with the new version:

How’s the tracking of and reaction to cars forward at rest (stop lights/signs on divided highways or off-highway)?

How’s the off-highway lanekeeping in particular while driving past cars parked in parallel? Enough room or still meandering uncomfortably close?

I look forward to testing *.40 but it’ll be awhile before I get to an SvC to have them push the update.

Glad it’s working well at your end.

That whooshing sound you hear is a planetary sigh of relief. Although you might have occasion to double down!

Two thoughts/questions in case you experience these scenarios with the new version:

How’s the tracking of and reaction to cars forward at rest (stop lights/signs on divided highways or off-highway)?

How’s the off-highway lanekeeping in particular while driving past cars parked in parallel? Enough room or still meandering uncomfortably close?

I look forward to testing *.40 but it’ll be awhile before I get to an SvC to have them push the update.

Glad it’s working well at your end.
I will check these scenarios specifically for you and try to video tape. Must get dash cam asap.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm delighted! First chance to drive .40 through tough freeway conditions that tripped up .34 and earlier. It's smooth sailing for me through:

-construction cones on I39 south to Madison

-high glare combined with mottled shadows over fresh tar lines! This was so crazy it was undriveable before. Now almost perfect!

Woot! Woot! Woot!
2017.40 release was a huge step forward for my AP2 MX. I drive the same 65 miles every weekend from Boston to Newport and with .40 I let autopilot drive 90% with almost perfect lane keeping and much much smoother accelerate and deceleration. It even starts to track speeds of cars in adjacent lanes so will make adjusts as you initiate the lane change. Very nice software update.

Just waiting to upgrade to .42.1 tonight to fix my homelink.

I received 2017.42 a88c8d5 on 10/25 and decided to drive my usual 120 mile roundtrip on the 91 and 15 freeways. Changing lanes by Autopilot did not occur in heavy traffic and needed to be forced. However, spacious conditions worked fine. The major benefit is the steering. For the first time, it was if I was driving instead of a computer trying to drive. Smooth, rock solid lane tracking and a dashed lane line display for each lane change. Even transition ramps between freeways using the express lanes was excellent*. The 2017 90D "knew" exactly how to drive through the complex maze of plastic posts at the 91/15 toll sensors and the exit and entry lane markings by staying on course. I do not remember Autopilot 1 driving this well. The return drive home at night felt like an Uber driver was behind the wheel and I was monitoring the quality of the drive.

Two-lane curvy country roads were a challenge and the left lane line reflectors were tapped by the tires, so not all is perfect. But this is Autopilot 2 at its best so far. Bravo for such a major improvement.

I noticed major front "sensor" action on the dash display in the daytime returning to normal at night. I can only imagine that the side cameras were used during the day. More technical details from Tesla would be appreciated in the Release Notes.

(*91/55 westbound express lane transition to stay on the 91 has a sharp right turn. That must be done manually or at a slower speed. Always hold the wheel and be ready to take over.)

Last edited:
Wowwwww baabbbbyyyy!!!!! Sun dipping low - super high glare now - concrete not asphalt - light gray with white center markers. Torture test that AP1 failed for months when it came out. .40 is SOLID AS A ROCK! Thank you Mr. Karpathy!

Wondering if the TMC user reported addition of NN for the side cameras means that they are using the reverse facing cameras to augment lane detection which allows operation in a driving into the sun glare situation. Tow Mater would be proud.

Reactions: calisnow
Wondering if the TMC user reported addition of NN for the side cameras means that they are using the reverse facing cameras to augment lane detection which allows operation in a driving into the sun glare situation. Tow Mater would be proud.

No, because he's on .40, the new side repeater NN's are not on .40 they are on .42, and as near as we can tell from verygreen so far, not wired up to anything