Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow...Tesla service really is that bad....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother is rental car manager and he see dozens of cars daily.
We both are going to order MY soon and we agree if there is any gap or paint defect we are not going to accept car at delivery.
He told me he never see any noticeable gap or paint issues in any of his cars.
When we did MY test drive we were shocked of amount of alignment issues that car had.
It was obvious reject, but still how you can present car in that condition to anyone?

Reactions: eyedub
I'm bringing my car for some initial delivery fixes next week. I asked if I could get a loaner and they replied saying they are only giving uber credits now :( Is it because of the SC I chose? They did say they had all the parts for the repairs I requested though so I guess that's a plus.

When I took the MY in for service I received a text stating that they had no rentals only Uber credits and if this wasn't satisfactory to reschedule my appt. I stayed the course. Upon arrival the person ahead of me was given almost $700 in Uber credits as his car was going to be in for over a week. I was given $100 for the day. They expired at midnight.

When I picked up my new MY, documented various delivery issues. I even had the salesman sign a document that they would agree to fix them and provide a loaner. Booked the service visit and it was one month out. I made a video on my phone of all the issues, then had the sales manager smile at the video, state his name and agree that everything would be fixed at no expense to myself.

Dropped my car off yesterday at the service center. Three employees say behind their desks, did not even look up to assist me which was not a good start...

They then tried to play the game where they are not sure if everything would be covered. I then showed them the signed letter from the sales manager, they called over to the sales center, than agreed to cover it. They even suggested the headliner grease stains should be my responsibility to have cleaned.

Of course no loaner was available, then I can tell my car has sat in their lot and they have not yet touched it for service. Then I get a text they are backed up, yada yada yada.

Service rep calls me this morning, they fixed basically 1 of the 9 issues, need to order parts, parts on back order yada yada yada.

Tried every way in the book to get out of the panel gaps telling me they are within tolerance.

Needless to say, the service has lived up to what I have read. I had a Model X on order for my wife that we just cancelled. We can not have two cars that rely on the same horrible service process.

On a side note, I described this whole ordeal to my brother who is a class action attorney and he said Tesla is basically putting a class action lawsuit on a silver platter and waiting for an attorney like him to grab it and go after them. He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.

sales staff =/= service staff

Doesn't matter what the sales staff promised, should have gotten service involved immediately prior to leaving or better yet, refuse delivery.

I don't think it is "fan boy" to have a different opinion or share a different experience. I had a small number (3) of cosmetic issues when I picked up my MY a little over a week ago. None were earth shattering. Tuesday this week I went into the app to get an appointment and the first available was today. I went this morning, they had my info, service guy says "l have your pictures, but let's walk over to the car so you can show me exactly what is needed.". We did that, walked back to the desk, the pulled out a Model S for me as a loaner and I left. It's still there now, so can't comment on the quality of the work, but so far I don't have a complaint.

sometimes attitude goes a long way too.....I was disappointed once because I was picking up a car that wasn’t there..this was March and they went above and beyond to rectify that issue. I’m glad now that I didn’t pick up the car because it was a 3 and I wanted the Y...I got the Y last week and I had zero issues but then again I don’t comb thru a car with a fine comb, I just drive. I also kept a positive attitude throughout understanding that the service advisors are not always in control. They even gave me $100 credit for cancelling my 3 for the Y. I think if you go by what you see here and you go in there mad, it’ll be hard to have them on your side. My SA said some people go under the car looking for issues.

If I was the service guy and you did your “video” and asked me to look in the camera and state my name at that point I would have turned off the camera and Jacked you in the mouth.

Why wouldn't you just tell the guy “no” and move away? Lots of keyboard warriors out there.

Some people are just ass hats.
Agreed.

When I picked up my new MY, documented various delivery issues. I even had the salesman sign a document that they would agree to fix them and provide a loaner. Booked the service visit and it was one month out. I made a video on my phone of all the issues, then had the sales manager smile at the video, state his name and agree that everything would be fixed at no expense to myself.

Dropped my car off yesterday at the service center. Three employees say behind their desks, did not even look up to assist me which was not a good start...

They then tried to play the game where they are not sure if everything would be covered. I then showed them the signed letter from the sales manager, they called over to the sales center, than agreed to cover it. They even suggested the headliner grease stains should be my responsibility to have cleaned.

Of course no loaner was available, then I can tell my car has sat in their lot and they have not yet touched it for service. Then I get a text they are backed up, yada yada yada.

Service rep calls me this morning, they fixed basically 1 of the 9 issues, need to order parts, parts on back order yada yada yada.

Tried every way in the book to get out of the panel gaps telling me they are within tolerance.

Needless to say, the service has lived up to what I have read. I had a Model X on order for my wife that we just cancelled. We can not have two cars that rely on the same horrible service process.

On a side note, I described this whole ordeal to my brother who is a class action attorney and he said Tesla is basically putting a class action lawsuit on a silver platter and waiting for an attorney like him to grab it and go after them. He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.
If you are new to the Tesla family welcome! There is a learning curve to all aspects of Tesla. I humbly suggest you take a deep breath, stay calm, cool and collected with the hard working SC folks, treat them with respect and everything will be fine. My MS delivered three years ago with a tiger stripe down the hood and a defective windshield plus others - it all got fixed and is the best car I have owned, drives like a dream and is bulletproof today. My neighbors Ford 150 OTOH has locked doors that fly open going around corners with his kids in back and one problem after another that can't be fixed on a vehicle they make millions of. I have never had a safety problem with Tesla.

sometimes attitude goes a long way too.....I was disappointed once because I was picking up a car that wasn’t there..this was March and they went above and beyond to rectify that issue. I’m glad now that I didn’t pick up the car because it was a 3 and I wanted the Y...I got the Y last week and I had zero issues but then again I don’t comb thru a car with a fine comb, I just drive. I also kept a positive attitude throughout understanding that the service advisors are not always in control. They even gave me $100 credit for cancelling my 3 for the Y. I think if you go by what you see here and you go in there mad, it’ll be hard to have them on your side. My SA said some people go under the car looking for issues.
Yes...the guys who go under the car are probably looking for loose or missing nuts as discovered and discussed on this forum.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If you are new to the Tesla family welcome! There is a learning curve to all aspects of Tesla. I humbly suggest you take a deep breath, stay calm, cool and collected with the hard working SC folks, treat them with respect and everything will be fine. My MS delivered three years ago with a tiger stripe down the hood and a defective windshield plus others - it all got fixed and is the best car I have owned, drives like a dream and is bulletproof today. My neighbors Ford 150 OTOH has locked doors that fly open going around corners with his kids in back and one problem after another that can't be fixed on a vehicle they make millions of. I have never had a safety problem with Tesla.
I agree. My MY had a door ding, body panel alignment and damaged trim issues. The SC and their body shop addressed most of the issues and a new SC has opened much closer to home and will tackle the rest. I will get a loaner or rental car during repair period. In the meantime, the car is gorgeous, safe, sleek, fun to drive, and incredibly fast. Everyone who drives it falls in love and plans to get one. I never got quite the same reaction when people drove my Prius...

UPDATE

Picked my car up today, for the most part, resolved 90% of the delivery issues. Below are my complaints, I would love for some feedback

1. At time of pickup, noted a large scratch on the passengers side handle. Service center will not fix it, said it is "within spec."
2. At time of pickup, noted torn back seat. Service center agreed to replaced it, ordered part, estimates 1 month?
3. At time of pickup, noted body panel gaps. They would only fix one of them, state others within spec
4. The drivers side floor matt after service pickup looked like someone stepped in cement mix, then drove the car. Service center agreed to replace drivers matt, ordered part, estimates 1 month?
5. Car went in sparling clean after a wash, was given back to me filllllllthy.

Once I resolve these issues (in a month) I will probably not use this service center again. Spoke to a nice gentleman who had to drive in from Wisconsin and told me always has a bad experience at this location.

I can't wait for the lawyer brother to launch the class action lawsuit. :rolleyes:

Tesla released their numbers this morning--record deliveries at ~140k as expected so trolls will be stepping up their FUD and forums will be flooded with more garbage. People love SUVs and Model Y is expected to be their highest volume seller so trolls need to bash, bash, and BASH.
  • "Tesla is still going to go bankrupt any minute now" ==> This one is dead
  • "No demand. No moat. The competition will crush them." ==> This one is nearly dead, competition has been relatively weak so far
  • "Service issues!" <== We are here

No pictures either...

ive have great experiences with my service center every time I went. That said, Tesla has a long way to go qa wise.

I just don't understand why so many assume the Mach-E - assembled in Mexico, BTW - will be so great in terms of fit and finish. Let's wait for some to get delivered and they've ramped up production, first.
To be fair, just because something is assembled in US, doesn't mean good. The reports are the Tesla that are assembled in China are much better in quality. haha, pretty ironic.

I can't wait for the lawyer brother to launch the class action lawsuit. :rolleyes:

Tesla released their numbers this morning--record deliveries at ~140k as expected so trolls will be stepping up their FUD and forums will be flooded with more garbage. People love SUVs and Model Y is expected to be their highest volume seller so trolls need to bash, bash, and BASH.
  • "Tesla is still going to go bankrupt any minute now" ==> This one is dead
  • "No demand. No moat. The competition will crush them." ==> This one is nearly dead, competition has been relatively weak so far
  • "Service issues!" <== We are here

I am not sure what you are talking about? I never said anyone I know was launching a class action. I stated that they are setting themselves up for one. Go put on your fan boy jacket, drink from your fan boy coffee mug and quit making stuff up.

When I took the MY in for service I received a text stating that they had no rentals only Uber credits and if this wasn't satisfactory to reschedule my appt. I stayed the course. Upon arrival the person ahead of me was given almost $700 in Uber credits as his car was going to be in for over a week. I was given $100 for the day. They expired at midnight.

I only get the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC