Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wow!!! the i8 is smacking down the tesla? huh>?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new beemer i8 Roadster would be cool if it were all-electric. And about $50K cheaper than it is (i.e. wasn't at its $170K asking price).

But it isn't, and it ain't. And it's slower 0 to 60 than a 75D. :(

That said, I'm not real happy with Tesla's New Roadster ($200-250K) pricing, either... even though it is all-electric, cooler-looking, and WAY faster than the i8 Roadster.

I hope Elon eventually makes a version with, say, a 100 kWh battery that's priced closer to the original Roadster.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUDoc and Jaff
The only thing the i8 has going for itself is the design. That´s it.
The technical part is a disaster, range, price, speed...just everything.
Seriously, I swear BMW originally only made this car to have something that looks sexy to show for their "i" line because the i3 is too fugly for commercials....

Reactions: gabeincal
The only thing the i8 has going for itself is the design. That´s it.
The technical part is a disaster, range, price, speed...just everything.
Seriously, I swear BMW originally only made this car to have something that looks sexy to show for their "i" line because the i3 is too fugly for commercials....
thats why i think if cars were made with coller designs like this but on a regular car platform and not 3x the cost they may sell better. Most cars on the road are uglyyyyyyyyyyyyy and look alike to my eyes. I like the sports car looks but dont need the whole performance part.

Yup, it’s a ‘nice’ leisurely 0-60 in 9 seconds.

It’s a ‘nice’ all electric range of about 25 miles.

It’s a ‘nice’ price of about $150,000.

And to think I payed less than 1/2 that for my new S. Now that’s nice! :)

Oh, and I can open the frunk and trunk without a special tool! Crazy, right?

0-60 in 9 seconds?...looks like it only comes in "chill mode"...

Yup, it’s a ‘nice’ leisurely 0-60 in 9 seconds.

It’s a ‘nice’ all electric range of about 25 miles.

It’s a ‘nice’ price of about $150,000.

And to think I payed less than 1/2 that for my new S. Now that’s nice! :)

Oh, and I can open the frunk and trunk without a special tool! Crazy, right?

It also comes with free panel gaps and unaligned trims :D

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
It's really not a nice car. The electric range is 15 miles. The person I know who has one doesn't bother plugging it in because there is little benefit. Basically, it's a large gas car that seats only two people and costs multiples of equivalent vehicles. Oh, but it looks cool... I guess.

That's a hell of a problem over here. Tax deductibility of cars (for individuals) ranges from 50% to 100% based on CO2 emissions; the test is over a 25km/15miles ride, so the i8 gets 100% tax deduction (as does the Porsche Panamera in its "e"-version), which is obviously ridiculous. I have some colleagues buying those things only for the tax incentive. Not only won't they bother installing a home charging installation (and we don't have one at work), but some of them haven't even thought of buying a charging cable!!! So of course those BMW i8's and Porsche Panamera's, with their 450+ hp, have in the real world more or less the same CO2 effect as their gasoline counterparts. And they are ruining the case of the 100% deductibility of "really zero-CO2-tailpipe-emission-cars" in the public opinion.

The government has taken action a few weeks ago, and as of 1 January plug-in hybrids will stop benefitting from this crazy rule (but any car bought before 31 December will still benefit from the tax deduction over the next five years). The strange result is of course that Porsche and BMW are going to have a great next five weeks selling i8s and e-Panamera's!

If I recall correctly -- Someone from BMW told me about three years ago at an EV event that the i8 is meant to help people meet requirements of cities like London in which zero emission vehicles are either now required or will be required. You can use it in electric mode for the short distance from the city boundary to a parking spot, and then on the return trip out. Once out of the city, you have a snazzy looking quasi-performance car to use.