Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wow!!! the i8 is smacking down the tesla? huh>?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
Let Tesla fanboys scoff. The faster straight-line blast of a Model S, however magnificent, is its only parlor trick. Weighting a feathery 3,455 pounds—nearly 1,400 fewer than the Tesla—the BMW will carve a Model S like an electric turkey on any twisty road. In another on-paper stat, the BMW pulls only about 0.93 g of lateral grip in turns. But it feels more like flypaper in the real world—all the more remarkable considering the relatively slender tires, including 245/40/20s at the rear. In tandem with accurate but overly light steering, there’s an almost spooky lack of g-force feedback through those tires, but you quickly learn to trust the BMW’s adhesion: Credit adaptive shocks, slick tuning of the front multi-link and rear five-link suspension, and a center of gravity that feels down around your ankles. Instead of the spirit-dulling CVT transmission common to hybrids, the i8 lets you fire off changes via a conventional six-speed, paddle-shifted Aisin unit.

from this article>>
2017 BMW i8 Review: Bimmer's Plug-In Pioneer Holds the Line
The BMW i8 Roadster Brings You Even Closer to the Environment

Yawn. Model S outsells the i8 by about 50 to 1. I'm sure Elon's just shakin' in his boots. ;)

2017-ev-sales-chart.png

Last edited:
Why so much hate? The i8 is nice in it's own way.

Because it has an ICE engine. It's like telling the first automobile makers that it's fine to add a horse to pull it along. We don't like that. It's the past dragging us down. Is it really that hard to understand? If so, let's put it this way: I don't want a vehicle with a gas tank and that requires oil changes. So the i8 is out.

I really like Tesla but when someone comes along with a better EV, and comparable fast charging network, they will get my business. I'm sure that's the same for many here. So no need to come here and squawk about Tesla fanboys and how great an ICE vehicle is, because I don't even care about the electric part when I hear the gas part. Then it just sounds like horses to me. Get it now?

Because it has an ICE engine. It's like telling the first automobile makers that it's fine to add a horse to pull it along. We don't like that. It's the past dragging us down. Is it really that hard to understand? If so, let's put it this way: I don't want a vehicle with a gas tank and that requires oil changes. So the i8 is out.

I really like Tesla but when someone comes along with a better EV, and comparable fast charging network, they will get my business. I'm sure that's the same for many here. So no need to come here and squawk about Tesla fanboys and how great an ICE vehicle is, because I don't even care about the electric part when I hear the gas part. Then it just sounds like horses to me. Get it now?
Good for you but that doesn’t mean it’s not a nice car. I just simply stated that it’s nice in its own way. No need to give me the spill about it running in ICE.

Thanks captain obvious.

It's also worth pointing out that the Tesla Model 3 SR is all electric, seats 5, *and* is only 94 pounds heavier than the i8 hybrid.

Model 3 LR with performance package will probably start somewhere around $60k and do 0-60 somewhere in the 3-4 seconds range (i8 hybrid = 4,0 seconds, starts at $143,4k), with 5 passengers, at only a couple hundred pounds heavier, with a much lower cg and with the polar moment of inertia unusually low due to the batteries and motors being entirely inside the wheelbase.

i8 hybrid is 28/29 mpg US. For US pricing, at $2,50/gal and an average 13k mi/year, that's $1,140 per year in fuel costs alone. At $0,13/kWh (US average) and 260Wh/mi, the Model 3 would cost $439 per year. The difference between the two would be roughly doubled at the average EU gasoline and electricity prices. Not like it matters when you're spending as much as a small house on the car!

Last edited:
Why so much hate? The i8 is nice in it's own way.
Yup, it’s a ‘nice’ leisurely 0-60 in 9 seconds.

It’s a ‘nice’ all electric range of about 25 miles.

It’s a ‘nice’ price of about $150,000.

And to think I payed less than 1/2 that for my new S. Now that’s nice! :)

Oh, and I can open the frunk and trunk without a special tool! Crazy, right?