Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X doors only open part way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experience rear and wing doors only partially opening when near their home garage ? I will back car out open rear and it stops like it was in garage … and sometimes it does same at other locations
I’ve reset it multiple times holding button till beeps doesn’t help once home it reverts to low open
Any cures for that ? Sick of banging my head lol

yes mine does same thing when i pull out of garage, i guess it senses larger area or maybe location memory stays in effect until u drive farther away
fyi, i found that for FWD u don't have to hold the button to override, just press it again once doors stop n it will go up all the way.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
yes mine does same thing when i pull out of garage, i guess it senses larger area or maybe location memory stays in effect until u drive farther away
fyi, i found that for FWD u don't have to hold the button to override, just press it again once doors stop n it will go up all the way.
The do remember location. For example in the garage they may be limited. Driving out of the garage it thinks it's in the same location so it limits opening.

Now leaving the area and coming back but don't go inside the garage and try it. You will probably find they open OK.

Reactions: scottf200
The do remember location. For example in the garage they may be limited. Driving out of the garage it thinks it's in the same location so it limits opening.

Now leaving the area and coming back but don't go inside the garage and try it. You will probably find they open OK.
Its inconsistent tho, depending how far out i'm on driveway, sometimes it opens all the way n sometimes it thinks i'm in garage...
FYI, my HomeLink will detect my location about 3 houses away, so I don't think location is very precise...

Anyone experience rear and wing doors only partially opening when near their home garage ? I will back car out open rear and it stops like it was in garage … and sometimes it does same at other locations
I’ve reset it multiple times holding button till beeps doesn’t help once home it reverts to low open
Any cures for that ? Sick of banging my head lol
It is not clear that you are calibrating correctly:

e1PHJny.jpg

I have the same issue. In my case it is because I have confinement on the left and right sides, 8-foot ceilings, and the opener has a motor and center rail running down the centerline of the car at 7 feet.

Some people have mentioned getting an opener with a jackshaft on the side instead of a center rail to cure these issues. Here is an example. If and when my opener dies, I will probably go this route.

• Informative
Reactions: Kdoh and holeydonut
I have the same issue. In my case it is because I have confinement on the left and right sides, 8-foot ceilings, and the opener has a motor and center rail running down the centerline of the car at 7 feet.

Some people have mentioned getting an opener with a jackshaft on the side instead of a center rail to cure these issues. Here is an example. If and when my opener dies, I will probably go this route.

I have a side mount (jack screw) opener and 8 foot ceilings in my garage with no obstructions. The FWDs still would only open a ~6 inches and stop.

Reactions: holeydonut
Wow TMC is an endless source of useful knowledge. I need to get one of these Jackshaft openers too... would free up a cavity above the cars to store more junk.

They are also super quiet compared to chain drive overhead openers, and if you have a living space above the garage, it reduces noise/vibration with it being mounted to the wall instead of the ceiling. I have two from Genie and their app sends push alerts the second the door opens/closes and reminders if a door is left open which is nice too.

Store more junk. Is that a good thing?

2 kids and I'm a sucker for buying them toys hah.

They are also super quiet compared to chain drive overhead openers, and if you have a living space above the garage, it reduces noise/vibration with it being mounted to the wall instead of the ceiling. I have two from Genie and their app sends push alerts the second the door opens/closes and reminders if a door is left open which is nice too.

Does the Genie app have a secure way to let you remotely open the garage door with your phone?

My garage ceiling is 18 feet and the MX FWD’s will still not open fully. It also happens when the vehicle is outside the garage. It is annoying to need to hold the open button every time. Have not found a way to override this.
At least on my '18 MX, if you manually override the doors the "Always open fully at this location" pop-up will appear. If you select that it will open fully every time you are in the same GPS location but I've found, at least on my older MX, it's driver beware because it will open fully at that location and it pretty much ignores the rooftop USS (but not the USS in the doors themselves). Of course your mileage may vary with whatever model year you have and Tesla software is almost constantly being updated so how this works could change at any time. Today I use this feature at the car wash because when it comes out of the tunnel it remembers that something was, just moments ago, blocking the FWDs from fully opening so it limits the height and the poor detail crew used to end up hitting their heads on the doors and the rear hatch if they didn't open all the way.

Reactions: Kdoh and RNHurt