Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X instead of S - Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been paying super close attention to features, but from a distant view of things, I would say:

#1: Panoramic front windshield is awesome.
#2: New/improved audio system is awesome.
#3: Some towing capacity could be useful to some.
#4: Heavy duty air filtration system could be useful to some.
#5: Some will like the falcon doors.
#6: More interior volume.

So, yeah, some good reasons why some may prefer X over S.

As a fellow + 6ft2er I was wondering..

1. Do you have problems with the manoeuvring knees around steering wheel when getting in?

2. Is visibility a problem ie. have to bend forward to look up at traffic lights etc?

3. Is sitting ok? Do you get bad back?

1. Not really. You can also set up an "exit profile" to move the seat back and steering wheel up, that will get things out of the way. I've set one up and used it here and there but I guess I'm just too impatient to wait the 5-10 seconds for the car to complete the adjustment. I think it's worst when in a tight spot, only being able to open the driver's door so far and squeezing out -- perhaps something to do with the height of the car (low) and the angle of how the door opens compared to the seat. I don't know, I just know that compared to the other cars I've owned it's a little harder in the S (not a billion times harder, just noticeably). Although I *am* getting older too.... hmmmm...

2. Well... yes visibility is a problem in that I do have to bend forward often, or look through the pano to see lights. But it's not a problem in that it doesn't prevent me from doing anything. I guess the tradeoff is, you can lower the driver seat to give you better upward vision, but then it's harder to get out of the car.

3. Sitting is fine. I have the original seats and we find them very comfortable on long trips, as good or better than any other car we've had or ridden in. Getting out for a 20-minute walk every 2.5-3.5 hours helps! (for charging). I've heard the next-gen seats are even better. The seats have very good individually-adjustable lumbar support so you can get them set to your liking (I assume that's still true of the current cars... but you'd better check to make sure).

The inability to lower the frame would make the MS uncomfortable for me during lengthy drives. I guess I'm still in for the MX with hopes that it will be more roomy. I also hope Tesla offers something to enable >48A charging at non-SC locations!

As a fellow + 6ft2er I was wondering..

1. Do you have problems with the manoeuvring knees around steering wheel when getting in?

2. Is visibility a problem ie. have to bend forward to look up at traffic lights etc?

3. Is sitting ok? Do you get bad back?

Here's my take, as another a 6'2" Model S driver; I'm a short-waisted widebody; my height is in my legs.

1. Getting in and out of the driver's seat is made difficult by the low roofline and the restricted hip opening between steering wheel and B-pillar, especially when the steering wheel is fully extended, as it is when I'm driving. The low roofline means it's easier for me to back into the car; that makes the hip opening critical. I'm hoping the X's higher roofline will make it convenient to enter normally, right leg first. Once in, the driver's seating position is very comfortable, even for long drives.

2. Getting in and out of the back seats is no fun for tall people, or for anyone with mobility issues. Sitting in the back seats for any length of time is uncomfortable primarily because the limited height of the cabin due to the battery pack and low roofline means that the seat bottoms are very close to the floor so your knees are in the air with little or no thigh support. I'm hoping the X will be better there, too, with its higher roofline. The Falcon Wing doors will make getting in and out a breeze compared to the S.

3. There are some minor visibility issues from the driver's seat, but nothing unusual.

4. The ventilated front seats in the X, and the reportedly much improved rear ventilation will be a big plus. The S will no doubt be available with ventilated front seats at some point in the future, but not today. Kids and dogs suffer in the back of the S if the sun is strong; even in clement weather the ventilation in the back seat and especially in the cargo area is poor.

I'm 6'2" tall too, which I guess is pretty normal for Caucasian men these days, but all my height is in my legs and I'm average weight. Getting enough leg room in a car is tough and pushes me into a larger vehicle. My SO had a 1996 Outback that was torture for anything more than a short trip and while her 2013 Impreza is better, it's still bad for long trips. My 1992 Buick is great, but it's getting too elderly for long trips.

I strongly prefer the Model S over the X. I prefer sedans over SUVs to begin with, but we don't have kids so the backseat is usually folded down if it folds, I think the falcon doors are going to be a service problem for a while, and I hate the front windshield. That's going to be really bad when the sun is at the wrong angle. It's bad enough with a regular windshield.

The Model X can get some more cargo space by folding down the third row, but the second row doesn't fold like the Model S, though the overall passenger compartment is a little longer.

I'm 6'5" tall. The S works ok, but a taller vehicle which gives more headroom and is easier to get in and out of would be better for me. It's really that simple.

Having said that, I'm not sure I will be giving up the S and getting an X. I'm not made of money. :) I have a "pre-D" Model S, though, so I have to admit I am craving the ridiculous AWD performance that comes with the dual-motor S or X.

My biggest reasons for choosing the X over the S are:

1. Ease of entry and exit. My wife has back and hip issues and found it near impossible to get in an out of the S. I too found it much more difficult.
2. Higher seating position in the X is more comfortable for us.
3. Visibility is much better in the X, both forward and back.
4. Third row is actually usable by adults in the X.

My reasons for the X are pretty simple:

1.Kids and family and friends. There are just times when you need the 6th or 7th seat.
2.I'm used to driving SUVs so I'm looking forward to the familiar feel of an X
3.Electric. When I purchased my last SUV, I was looking forward to hopefully have a fully electric or at worst hybrid SUV for my next car, the X is almost here and I couldn't be more excited.
4.The range is good enough for what I need and the longest trips from my house (Disney World in Orlando or the Keys) are well within range of a SC to get me there.
5.Why not?

Hope you're happy with our decision, whichever way you go.

Best,

Tony
Sig X VIN #502

The air filtration system in the X was born and raised for urban China. There is little use for it here in the USA. China is about to (is already?) become one of the largest auto markets on earth and if you can get a leg up tempting wealthy Chinese there's serious money to be made. Just like the executive seats never sold well in the US (but did in China) this air filtration system will sell X's in China.

Tesla is a global company selling to a global market. They design cars that will sell globally. Features that make no sense to you here in the US do make sense to someone else in a different important region. I doubt they sell too many cars with the cold weather package in southern China (heck, the southern USA for that matter) but no one questions that option.

Let's all hope that there will never be a true proper need/use for the X's filtration system in daily US driving.

The air filtration system in the X was born and raised for urban China. There is little use for it here in the USA. China is about to (is already?) become one of the largest auto markets on earth and if you can get a leg up tempting wealthy Chinese there's serious money to be made. Just like the executive seats never sold well in the US (but did in China) this air filtration system will sell X's in China.

Tesla is a global company selling to a global market. They design cars that will sell globally. Features that make no sense to you here in the US do make sense to someone else in a different important region. I doubt they sell too many cars with the cold weather package in southern China (heck, the southern USA for that matter) but no one questions that option.

Let's all hope that there will never be a true proper need/use for the X's filtration system in daily US driving.

Unfortunately, there is: here in California, we get a lot of pollution coming in from the ocean. Although, it is the same source as the target market for that Model X filtration system: China. We get China coal pollution here in California.

Samples from a quick Google search:

Air pollution from China undermining gains in California, Western states
Pollution from China taking high route to Central Valley, study says | The Sacramento Bee
California Pollution: Made in China? - China Real Time Report - WSJ

All kinds of Chinese pollution is coming here. Above is just a random sampling from Google on the topic, and it already lists two types of pollution we get in spades from there. Tesla's Model X filtration I hope helps against this very well.

Also, if you look, here in California we have very polluted areas in general: although Central Valley, LA, and Silicon Valley only get about a third of their pollution from China, looked at from another perspective, they HAVE massive pollution, regardless of WHY, making the filter useful. We don't win worldwide rewards but we do win national ones for bad pollution.

My wife has found third row seating a necessity ever since we got a mini van with our first kids. Even though our kids are now teenagers she still needs that feature. I am excited as I will get her Model S when the Model X arrives.

The Model X looks amazing, but I hate the falcon wing doors. I don't see how those will not dump a lap full of snow or water on the middle seats when raining or snowing. In Colorado, those FWD will suck. Only makes sense in sunny California.

My wife has found third row seating a necessity ever since we got a mini van with our first kids. Even though our kids are now teenagers she still needs that feature. I am excited as I will get her Model S when the Model X arrives.

The Model X looks amazing, but I hate the falcon wing doors. I don't see how those will not dump a lap full of snow or water on the middle seats when raining or snowing. In Colorado, those FWD will suck. Only makes sense in sunny California.

I assume they have done some testing, but the final winter of testing was a very dry one in California and the western US in general. I do suspect there will be problems with the falcon wing doors. They look cool, but new technology always has glitches and anything car related needs insanely high reliability.

Many years ago I recall a story of someone from an integrated circuit company who was trying to sell to the auto industry. He boasted something like 100,000 hours mean time between failures and the engineers in the auto companies told him an electronic part needed 10X that before they even considered it. When you're putting 1 million cars on the road, 100,000 MTBF rate means 10 cars will have a failure every hour on average. 1 million MTBF means one car an hour on average. And these things happen, it's called infant mortality when a new part fails in the field. It's a consideration Tesla needs to face when they get up to production numbers approaching 1 million a year.

Consumer Reports has a YouTube series called Car Talk where their three top car guys talk about some aspect of car testing. They released one when the car reliability numbers came out a couple of weeks back. In there they made the point that whenever a car is redesigned, whether it is a complete overhaul, or just many small changes, that car's reliability drops for at least a year. Some go from excellent to average, while others go to terrible. He went on to point out Ford's overall quality was near the top of the manufacturer's list a few years ago, but they released a slew of redesigned cars all at once which put them near the bottom. They are coming back, but still in the bottom half.

The Model S is just beginning to reach decent reliability, but the Model X is just beginning to the process. The parts of the car most vulnerable to failure are the most novel features like the falcon wing doors. I expect initial motor and battery quality to be much higher than it was with the Model S because these are parts shared with the Model S. But all the new stuff, especially moving parts are likely going to be failure points for a while.

Considering what IS (ISIL) is planning with chemical and biological warfare in many countries, the X filtration system may not be a gimmick after all!