Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to be snide. I needed more coffee this morning. o_O:p;)

Tesla has said to use the vehicle as you see fit. The battery is covered against excessive degradation and damage (including fires) short of intentional destruction.

The battery management systems are Tesla's bread and butter. If I were you, I would not be afraid to charge it up to 100% a few times a week if you need that much range for the day.

Edit: There's a bunch of great threads on this in the S forums. Here's one I found on page 3...

Impressed how the battery holds up after 73k miles
Sorry for bringing this old post back up, but I thought that the Tesla battery warranty, unlike some other manufacturers, does NOT cover against excessive degradation.

My inventory 90D (produced 3/16) arrived 3 month ago and was showing 232 miles at 90%. Its not down to 230. Is there anything I should do? Condition battery? Run id down to low and supercharge all the way? I am usually down to ~160 daily and charge it to 90% every night. Thanks!

My inventory 90D (produced 3/16) arrived 3 month ago and was showing 232 miles at 90%. Its not down to 230. Is there anything I should do? Condition battery? Run id down to low and supercharge all the way? I am usually down to ~160 daily and charge it to 90% every night. Thanks!

Nah, that is pretty normal or good. Mine was produced about the same time. I'm getting a 90% of 227/228. I've ran down to 1-2% and then topped off to "calibrate" it again but seems to be about right. Now that it is warming up here again I'd expect it to jump back to the 230 RR hopefully. 230ish or bit less appears to be normal degradation for a 90D (only like 86 true kWh a 90 battery, 81.# usable) after a year or so. It is about 2-3% overall, and you usually see more at in the earlier life of the battery.

Best you can do is plug it in often when not in use, leave plugged in etc. That way it can use shore power versus battery for its needs in heating/cooling before leaving. Not a huge deal though.

Reactions: rjdoc74
I recently took my Model X in for it's first annual service and asked about the battery, if anything can be "re-calibrated" to get the Rated Range back up to what it was at delivery (i.e. 234-236). They introduced me to one of the Service Engineers/Technicians and he explained that this is actually not what they consider battery degradation. Rather, he explained that all Tesla vehicles have a battery algorithm for calculating the rated range, which is based on the individual driver's actual driving habits and general conditions of how and where you drive. He said that's why all Model X 90Ds when delivered brand new have a 90% RR of about 235, because they have not been driven very much. The Tech said typically, the RR will start to get consistently lower and "calibrates" to a certain point the more you drive the car and within the first year. Apparently, there is nothing they can to do in terms of recalibrating the battery.

Now all that said, I'm not sure if that was just a elaborate explanation for something to avoid addressing a potential issue or the actual truth. I'm hedging to trust the latter...

He did say that I'm certainly not the first to ask this question and he wishes Tesla somehow explained/advertised this either during the sales process or delivery process.

I recently took my Model X in for it's first annual service and asked about the battery, if anything can be "re-calibrated" to get the Rated Range back up to what it was at delivery (i.e. 234-236). They introduced me to one of the Service Engineers/Technicians and he explained that this is actually not what they consider battery degradation. Rather, he explained that all Tesla vehicles have a battery algorithm for calculating the rated range, which is based on the individual driver's actual driving habits and general conditions of how and where you drive. He said that's why all Model X 90Ds when delivered brand new have a 90% RR of about 235, because they have not been driven very much. The Tech said typically, the RR will start to get consistently lower and "calibrates" to a certain point the more you drive the car and within the first year. Apparently, there is nothing they can to do in terms of recalibrating the battery.

Now all that said, I'm not sure if that was just a elaborate explanation for something to avoid addressing a potential issue or the actual truth. I'm hedging to trust the latter...

He did say that I'm certainly not the first to ask this question and he wishes Tesla somehow explained/advertised this either during the sales process or delivery process.
Thanks for the info! Maybe we can all drive 5mph and we will see our rated range go through the roof!!!

• Funny
Reactions: XHokie and McManX

Nah, he is speaking the truth. In earlier years we saw software versions alter our RR even on Ss. It is impossible to get rated range unless conditions are right, and they never will be, but it does try to improve its estimate - which is typically lower based on behavior and battery capacity. That's a reason for the drop in cold winter months as well.

With that said, there is legitimate degradation still, mostly at the start and then spread over years later - can't ignore that either, and the BMS will factor that in also. I'd say the battery algo considers:

- battery capacity
- battery capacity due to weather/temps
- driving behavior

Estimated range (usually 20-40 miles below rated) is a better estimate based on more recent driving behavior, a good number to pay attention to. Ideal range is a joke, ignore it always ;-)

Here's info for an August 2016 CPO 90D with 5,736 miles. Just charged it for the first time last night. Got 227 miles, which would imply 252 miles at 100%. Will be making a trip to Jacksonville today and will charge it to 100% just before I leave. I expect it will be that.
Got to 255 miles and stayed on "calculating time to finish". Had to unplug to leave, so don't know if I would have gotten that last couple of miles or not. But after reading some of the numbers here, I guess I'm happy with 255 at 5,700 miles.

Produced December-2016 (~6 months ownership):
~10,000miles / 16,000 km
Average 350Wh/mi or 217Wh/km

At delivery: 90% ~233miles (374km)
Current 90% ~233miles (374km)

Summary: no loss in range; never charged >90%; only 4 supercharges; mostly charge to 70-80% and 90% occasionally