TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

X75 or rent a car to leave the hurricane

Discussion in 'Model X' started by snoopycr, Sep 6, 2017.

1. snoopycr

snoopycr Member

I live in ft Lauderdale and want to go to Orlando. Is it better to use my x75 or rent a gas car.

I only need to make 1 supercharger stop at 125 mi, before I reach Orlando.

Worried about no electricity on the way back if hurricane Irma leaves a path of destruction.

What are your thoughts?

2. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

Just take X75D. It could get damaged during hurricane if left. Glad you are getting the hell out of there! Good luck!

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

• Like x 2
  4. LosAltosChuck

LosAltosChuck Member

Why stop in Orlando? Suggest you keep going until you get to Missouri. And yeah, take the X.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Just drove my wife's car up from Naples to Charlotte today. Found Gas all along the way.

lots of traffic but gas was plentiful (and there were a bunch of trucks on road heading south).

FWIW: Orlando could still be very dangerous situation. Panhandle, Raleigh or Charlotte would be best bet. If you have to stay in-state, then Tampa would be a better option. If storm holds East track then Brandon, Sarasota, Ft. Myers and Naples will probably be operating and provide a pathway for you to get home.

Drive safe.....lots of crazy Floridians weaving in and out doing an unsafe 80-90+ in many stretches on I75/I95 (significant trooper presence in Ga...saw a location that had 6 vehicles (with 3 pulled over for speeding).

• Informative x 1
  6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

and if superchargers are down, you will likely find an online level 2

7. divesturner

divesturner Member

Hyper miles have taught us how to go much farther than standard range if power is out. When away from home just keep it charged and you can count on going far with your stored juice in a pinch.

8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Good luck over there, guys. I can't believe how bad the weather gets.

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

Last year when I had to bug out ahead of Matthew I used my tesla for the 200 mile trip to Tallahassee, upon my return I was glad that I had the tesla because every gas station was closed along the way. As long as where you wind up has power you will be better off in your teasla

• Like x 1
  10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If an area has no electricity then effectively there will be no gas since gas stations require electricity to pump the gas out of the underground storage tanks.

• Like x 1
  11. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

I remember back in 2012 when I received my Nissan Leaf, this guy asks me what I was going to do if the grid went down. I said, I have a solar farm. Then I ask him if he had a long siphon hose?:D

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

If you are out of the cone of danger power should not be an issue, however fuel supplies could be more prone to issues

13. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

One thing is for sure...staying in Lauderdale is the wrong option....

14. snoopycr

snoopycr Member

Thank you for all your comments. Going to take the x75 since it's AWD.

And stop at every supercharger when safe. Headed to either Tampa or Orlando depending on hurricane track.

All the reports indicate gloom and doom if hurricane hits landfall.

Need to return as soon as hurricane is over, others we would have left a long time ago...

• Like x 2
  15. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

^^^^
    I'll pitch you again to avoid Orlando if you can.

Buddy of mine lived there with family during the '04 mess and said place was hammered and would never stay there again during a tropical storm/hurricane. As an inland city with lots of hardwoods, its topography isn't receptive to significant wind storms.

You are probably going to need to use West Coast charging (which as I noted are plentiful) solutions to get back home anyway....

Safe travels.....

• Informative x 1
  16. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

The only problem is traffic. You may want to leave at a time where there is little traffic at night. Also, I wouldn't go to Orlando. Get to tampa and even farther north. Good luck!

17. teddytoons

teddytoons Member

Let us know how you fare. If you are not aware of it yet, the plugshare app is pretty handy.

18. snoopycr

snoopycr Member

Definitely headed towards Tampa or Orlando. If by some miracle, the hurricane cuts east to west, then I'm headed north to Orlando. If it rides North along the east coast I'm headed to Tampa.

Shouldn't stop and go traffic help my range since I'll be under 65mph.

Should I turn off music and lower ac to increase my range? I won't be using any USB ports until I get to a charging station.

Kinda nervous and excited about using the Tesla in an emergency.

There were lines of 20+ cars waiting for gas around ft Lauderdale last night with the mandatory evacuation...

19. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I hope that all of you moving out to escape the storm have arrangements for sleeping accommodations, last year for Matthew people had to go hundreds of miles to find a room as much of NE fla evacuated