Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X75 or rent a car to leave the hurricane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in ft Lauderdale and want to go to Orlando. Is it better to use my x75 or rent a gas car.

I only need to make 1 supercharger stop at 125 mi, before I reach Orlando.

Worried about no electricity on the way back if hurricane Irma leaves a path of destruction.

What are your thoughts?

I live in ft Lauderdale and want to go to Orlando. Is it better to use my x75 or rent a gas car.

I only need to make 1 supercharger stop at 125 mi, before I reach Orlando.

Worried about no electricity on the way back if hurricane Irma leaves a path of destruction.

What are your thoughts?
Just take X75D. It could get damaged during hurricane if left. Glad you are getting the hell out of there! Good luck!

Just drove my wife's car up from Naples to Charlotte today. Found Gas all along the way.

lots of traffic but gas was plentiful (and there were a bunch of trucks on road heading south).

FWIW: Orlando could still be very dangerous situation. Panhandle, Raleigh or Charlotte would be best bet. If you have to stay in-state, then Tampa would be a better option. If storm holds East track then Brandon, Sarasota, Ft. Myers and Naples will probably be operating and provide a pathway for you to get home.

Drive safe.....lots of crazy Floridians weaving in and out doing an unsafe 80-90+ in many stretches on I75/I95 (significant trooper presence in Ga...saw a location that had 6 vehicles (with 3 pulled over for speeding).

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Last year when I had to bug out ahead of Matthew I used my tesla for the 200 mile trip to Tallahassee, upon my return I was glad that I had the tesla because every gas station was closed along the way. As long as where you wind up has power you will be better off in your teasla

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Thank you for all your comments. Going to take the x75 since it's AWD.

And stop at every supercharger when safe. Headed to either Tampa or Orlando depending on hurricane track.

All the reports indicate gloom and doom if hurricane hits landfall.

Need to return as soon as hurricane is over, others we would have left a long time ago...

^^^^
I'll pitch you again to avoid Orlando if you can.

Buddy of mine lived there with family during the '04 mess and said place was hammered and would never stay there again during a tropical storm/hurricane. As an inland city with lots of hardwoods, its topography isn't receptive to significant wind storms.

You are probably going to need to use West Coast charging (which as I noted are plentiful) solutions to get back home anyway....

Safe travels.....

• Informative
Reactions: teddytoons
Thank you for all your comments. Going to take the x75 since it's AWD.

And stop at every supercharger when safe. Headed to either Tampa or Orlando depending on hurricane track.

All the reports indicate gloom and doom if hurricane hits landfall.

Need to return as soon as hurricane is over, others we would have left a long time ago...
The only problem is traffic. You may want to leave at a time where there is little traffic at night. Also, I wouldn't go to Orlando. Get to tampa and even farther north. Good luck!

Definitely headed towards Tampa or Orlando. If by some miracle, the hurricane cuts east to west, then I'm headed north to Orlando. If it rides North along the east coast I'm headed to Tampa.

Shouldn't stop and go traffic help my range since I'll be under 65mph.

Should I turn off music and lower ac to increase my range? I won't be using any USB ports until I get to a charging station.

Kinda nervous and excited about using the Tesla in an emergency.

There were lines of 20+ cars waiting for gas around ft Lauderdale last night with the mandatory evacuation...