Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told that the new HID option does include new headlight assemblies. Since our headlight assemblies are failing -- the protective cover is coming off in patches -- I'm ready to do the new HID option rather than a standard headlight assembly replacement.

i too was told by tesla menlo park that "It’s a headlamp assembly replacement not a bulb."

they did not have pricing and availability (despite having seen them on new production roadsters.)

I've been told that the new HID option does include new headlight assemblies. Since our headlight assemblies are failing -- the protective cover is coming off in patches -- I'm ready to do the new HID option rather than a standard headlight assembly replacement.

It probably makes sense to be a complete assembly; the controller is most likely embedded in the unit; a simple swap.

Did you get a chance to see if they self-leveled when switched on, perhaps a clunk or a motor whir? If they self level you can get the beam much higher to reach out better knowing that they can dip when the rear of the car is loaded.

Did you get a chance to see if they self-leveled when switched on, perhaps a clunk or a motor whir? If they self level you can get the beam much higher to reach out better knowing that they can dip when the rear of the car is loaded.

I did ask if they were auto-leveling (if that's the same thing) and he said 'no'. That's only required in Europe I believe but not sure why they couldn't have added that anyway.

Expense I guess. Hmm, so, all we have left over a home-brew upgrade is the possibility of better optics. I'm struggling to find that $2K of value. I don't have the fogging issue since updating to xenon myself - I think it's a ventilation issue.

Ventilation, yes. When my car was new it was fogging, and my then-Ranger (not the current one) told me he'd fix them. I didn't know this at the time, but he didn't seal them; he ventilated them. There is a large cap on the side of the headlight units; he took that off. (I saw this when my current Ranger disassembled some stuff to upgrade my condenser/fan unit.)

I was thinking of opening that back up and covering it with Goretex or something; otherwise the inside of my headlamps will eventually get dusty... but there's no point since I'm going to do the HID upgrade.

As darkness falls this autumn I finally decided to look at the aim. Turns out it can be adjusted on 2.5's or cars with the sound kit really easily - no need to remove wheels. Undo the outer top bolt holding the fabric liner (was hard plastic) and reach in to adjust the 10mm white plastic height control on the back of the assembly at the bottom. A quick trim in a parking lot facing a building increased the throw from a few cars length to almost infinity - I figure that, as the lights are just two feet from the road I'm not going to be dazzling anyone except dwarves on the sidewalk... laying face down.

The result is pleasing; better range and less need for main beam as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Had my Xenon headlights installed by my Tesla Ranger this week and am very pleased with the improvement.
Where the original headlights only seemed to light up 2 small areas a short distance in front of the car (kind of reminds me of my moped's headlight when I was 13),the Xenons provide a more all encompassing light. The light is whiter and carries out farther than the old headlights. My impression is that the lights on my Lexus GS450H better by a noticeable margin ie: brighter and light up a longer distance down the road, however in the few hours of night time driving I have done so far with the new Xenons in the Roadster I feel that they do the job. My Roadster is away for the next week getting audio and other upgrades so I can't take any pictures at night but when I get her back I would be happy to post some if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures with the old headlights for comparison until it was too late. Here are some pictures of the swap. If you look close you can see that the new lights have some grooves under the outer bulb. It's subtle but I think it looks kind of cool. Other than that the lights appear to be the same. I believe my Ranger said that the outer bulb sits back a bit further than the original.
P1020627.jpg
P1020628.jpg
P1020629.jpg
P1020631.jpg
P1020639.jpg
P1020645.jpg
P1020651.jpg

PA213554.JPG
For the first time ever I parked 1291 on the street, in front of the Apple store in New Haven while I ran in for 15 minutes. I came out and somebody had backed up over the nose of my car... probably some soccer Mom in an SUV and an iPhone to her ear. The 3M Starshield totally worked and the paint is fine so a replacemetn of the Starshield should do the job. Unfortunately the lens of the driver side light is scratched. Anybody interested in selling/donating their original lights? Or are the Halo's so outstandingly better?

Attachments

• PA213557.JPG
    PA213557.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 449