Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel - recommendation for Melbourne

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Bullet1

First, I almost got my 70D in titanium as well. But vetoed by wife. He he.

Anyway, can I ask where you ordered you Scotchguard Pro? Which website?

Cheers!
Yes was through Car Protection Pros - Automotive Clear Bra Kits .......but no good ordering direct from website as got no response, tried calling and emailing also (check out their website though is very good). Need to go to ebay.com.au and search "clear bra Tesla S 2017" and this company should come up and allow international order/postage. If you order through ebay is straight forward and they respond quickly. Can specify some options like sensor cutouts. I ordered the headlight protectors as extra.

Hope this helps?

Has anyone from the Gold Coast had their model s wrapped? I am keen on getting one. XPEL doesn't have an installer (based on their website) here in the Gold Coast.

We may have some, our international sales rep is always updating the locator. We have many people coming on every week as XPEL installers, so sometimes they get a little behind. Shoot him an email and we may have someone close to you thats not on the website yet. The sales rep's name is Luke Rood, [email protected]

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is opticoat? Why would you want XPEL (or similar) *and* opticoat?
Opticoat is a chemical applied to the paint surface to prevent dirt and fall out from adhering to the paint surface.
It does not prevent stone chips like plastic film products like XPEL.
I have had the front of my car covered in an XPEL like product to protect against stone chip damage and I have had the whole car Opticoated to make it easier to keep clean and looking good.

Are these criticisms from this 2012 blog post still valid? Paint Protection Film Review: Is it worth it?

• Relatively expensive for only a little bit of coverage - Not cheap but since 2012, patterns have become larger and now the full car can be covered.
  • Not as durable as you’d think – if things (sap, etc.) are left on the clear bra, they can eat through the plastic and harm the paint - Sap can't eat through the clearbra. It couldn't in 2012 either.

• Aesthetically unpleasing… almost gag-worthy - new film doesn't yellow and looks great.
Especially if you have metallic paint, the PPF is a good idea and keep the car looking newer longer.

What is the approximate price range you would be looking at for full body coverage + installation of something like XPEL?

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:

- Where you live

- Demand for paint protection film

- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)

- Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently

- Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel

- You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.

You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...

I would suspect the majority of installers probably never seen a Tesla... I don't think there are that many Tesla's in Australia. So it might be better to drive further to a place that is popular by people on this forum.

According to XPEL's website, House of Tint in Ringwood is the closest "authorised installer". The 2nd closest is probably The Tint Centre in Noble park. Wonder if any of these places are any good.

Most likely will go with the same guys that did the PowerShop Tesla...James has their number if you want to ask him for it...

i had James wrap the car 10 days ago

Who is James? Or are we talking about two different people here? Maybe one works for Tesla, the other works for InvisibleCar Bras.

he didn't use XPEL on mine, instead he used Premiumshield Elite and his team did an excellent job on it

Just curious why you decided to go with Premiumshield Elite instead of XPEL?

Does XPEL not do this? Or rephrased question: What is the advantage of Opticoat on top of XPEL?

We don't sell or use OptiCoat or any ceramic coatings, we know that you can certainly use the coating on top of the film but we don't sell them.

The same advantages you have applying a ceramic coating on bare paint, for more information about opticoat, see their website: HERE

I would suspect the majority of installers probably never seen a Tesla... I don't think there are that many Tesla's in Australia. So it might be better to drive further to a place that is popular by people on this forum.

I should have elaborated...just because they haven't worked on your specific vehicle, doesn't mean they're not qualified. Knowing how to install the film and make it fit different vehicles is important. If the installer knows how to tackle a car because of their installation technique and they can read the pre-cut kits on how to install...its similar and just takes patience. So if there is one closer to you, stop by the shop and take a look at the install quality

Times have certainly changed since 2012, much like all technologies they get better. Had my cars done years ago and have them done now and am amazed at the difference.

One advantage people forget about the film is it lowers the chance of damage that would a fix/respray. Paint can be very hard to match, especially metallic and pearls. Your car also looses value if it has had panel repair. This is a good reason why owners protect their paint, especially supercar owners who want to protect the cars value. These are people that can easily throw $10k into exotic paint jobs but they now choose vinyl wrapping (or clear) to not harm the cars value. Not to mention time off the road for panel repair....