Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't regret it that much given the performance it's capable of it should be expected. The Performance does 0-60 in 3.5 secs sub sub 12sec quarter, that is rare in a suv. You'd need a Lambo Urus to beat it. In that context the P is a heck of a deal, a budget given its acceleration ability.

Yea, basically... though comfort is kind of a misnomer, more comfortable but it's not gonna turn it into a Lexus.
Car and Driver got 12.1 @ 113 in the 1/4 for reference and 3.6 0-60 (without rollout). All in all pretty impressive times. They said add back in .3 seconds to account for rollout. They got 12.7 @ 114 for the MY LR.

A forum member running boost with his MY LR was at 12.2 still at 114 mph.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/acceleration-boost-1-4-mile.221803/#post-5788759

What I find sort of annoying, is no matter which version or config you get, Tesla seems to be doing something to limit the trap speeds to about 113-114.

LR isnt a great ride, thats what I have...can only imagine the P. Though a P with coilovers would be a dream for me
Going with the lighter rims helped my LR. I won't call it plush but it is definitely more toward the softer side of the performance spectrum yet still handles nicely. Even if you change out the suspension on the P, you are still dealing with the heavy wheel weights which are terrible for handling and ride quality.

The wheel and tire weight is ~65 pounds on the front and ~70 pounds on the rear. Think of having the equivalent of a 70 pound sledgehammer beating the car when you hit a bump or even worse when it totally bottoms out and no suspension left to absorb it and it goes right through the bump stop to the control arms and chassis.

Going with the lighter rims helped my LR. I won't call it plush but it is definitely more toward the softer side of the performance spectrum yet still handles nicely. Even if you change out the suspension on the P, you are still dealing with the heavy wheel weights which are terrible for handling and ride quality.

The wheel and tire weight is ~65 pounds on the front and ~70 pounds on the rear. Think of having the equivalent of a 70 pound sledgehammer beating the car when you hit a bump or even worse when it totally bottoms out and no suspension left to absorb it and it goes right through the bump stop to the control arms and chassis.
I swapped out my Gemini for 19x8.5 Avant Garde m520-r, doing coilovers soonish

Reactions: DayTrippin
So only way is to spend more money and get the comfort coilovers.
Or maybe drive the MYP for awhile and see for yourself before you decide you need to change anything. I love the suspension on my MYP. I came from an Audi S3 that I left in “dynamic” suspension mode all the time, and I find the MYP just as comfortable, if not more so.

Or maybe drive the MYP for awhile and see for yourself before you decide you need to change anything. I love the suspension on my MYP. I came from an Audi S3 that I left in “dynamic” suspension mode all the time, and I find the MYP just as comfortable, if not more so.
100% agree. What feels “comfortable” is totally subjective.

I agree there is some subjectivity to it. Also road conditions make a huge difference. If your roads are billiard table smooth or similar, you probably won't see a lot of difference. I also think there is a mistaken perception that rock hard is best.

I like suspension that is compliant but well dampened. Overly harsh suspension does nothing to really improve performance, especially on the street, and just beats the car apart more quickly when driven on less than ideal roads. I bought a car for roads, not the track.

If I was frequently at the track, I'd dump money in the suspension first thing. Neither the P or LR is well equipped for that purpose. I think Tesla maybe thought initially about the track mode from the 3P and decided against it. The bigger, taller, fatter car would have overwhelmed its suspension even more.

I think the M3P does a better job with its suspension overall than the MYP. It still needs help but it feels like a lot more harmonious package when pushed hard.

No point on spending a lot on suspension to get that perfect ride, not unless you have money to spend so you can experiment on your car. You're better off investing in some better wheels & (especially) tires, as that'll make a big difference in ride quality & comfort right there. Plus, it won't void any warranty like a complete suspension swap would, if you're concerned about that.

IMO, I like the ride in my MYP with 21" aftermarket wheels. It's actually really smooth, yet still handles really well when I want it to. I only test drove a LR with Inductions on for about 15 minutes almost 6 months ago on a test-drive, so I can't say if the suspension felt any better or not. What I do know is that both the LR and MYP feels way better & smoother than our 2020 Model 3 SR+ did, but I also had 20" Perf wheels on it and it was lowered on Eibach springs.

According the Wikipedia, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act includes a provision that "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty." This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales provisions". Aftermarket products such as wheels, tires, brakes and suspension do not invalidate the vehicle warranty. If an aftermarket coil-over fails it would be covered under a separate warranty from the provider. Just don't expect Tesla to cover it under the Tesla warranty.

According the Wikipedia, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act includes a provision that "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty." This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales provisions". Aftermarket products such as wheels, tires, brakes and suspension do not invalidate the vehicle warranty. If an aftermarket coil-over fails it would be covered under a separate warranty from the provider. Just don't expect Tesla to cover it under the Tesla warranty.
There are the black and white areas, as you've described, where the failure is isolated to the part replaced. In this case, I suppose it would be relatively easy to identify who is liable for the warranty repair.

The murkiness is around the gray areas, where the replaced part can somehow be associated with another failure. For example, Tesla can blame uneven tire wear or bad wheel alignment that cannot be corrected to the suspension mods. They could also blame a broken suspension control arm on "improper" installation of the aftermarket coilovers or such.

In short, making major modifications on your new Tesla to improve ride comfort is certainly an option for some, but has inherent risks (and lots of legal hassle) that not everyone is prepared or equipped to take on.

There are the black and white areas, as you've described, where the failure is isolated to the part replaced. In this case, I suppose it would be relatively easy to identify who is liable for the warranty repair.

The murkiness is around the gray areas, where the replaced part can somehow be associated with another failure. For example, Tesla can blame uneven tire wear or bad wheel alignment that cannot be corrected to the suspension mods. They could also blame a broken suspension control arm on "improper" installation of the aftermarket coilovers or such.

In short, making major modifications on your new Tesla to improve ride comfort is certainly an option for some, but has inherent risks (and lots of legal hassle) that not everyone is prepared or equipped to take on.
Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

Stop trying to scare people and read the damn law before throwing crap around. Changing shocks is not a major change. And stop suggesting that *sugar* breaking by random miracles is a warrantable situation. Control arms don't just break. It's poor form to use these tactics to scare ppl. And if Tesla or any other brand were to try and void anything they have to first prove whatever part caused the failure or in your vein cascading failures rofl.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

Stop trying to scare people and read the damn law before throwing crap around. Changing shocks is not a major change. And stop suggesting that *sugar* breaking by random miracles is a warrantable situation. Control arms don't just break. It's poor form to use these tactics to scare ppl. And if Tesla or any other brand were to try and void anything they have to first prove whatever part caused the failure or in your vein cascading failures rofl.

Except he's totally right. Putting on something like coilovers is going to create a serious risk of having warranty claims denied for any suspension-related components. That applies to any automaker, not just Tesla. Want to fight it? Hope you opted out of arbitration and don't mind spending 10x the repair cost on an attorney.

Also, FWIW, Tesla control arms do "just break": control arm failure site:teslamotorsclub.com - Google Search

Except he's totally right. Putting on something like coilovers is going to create a serious risk of having warranty claims denied for any suspension-related components. That applies to any automaker, not just Tesla. Want to fight it? Hope you opted out of arbitration and don't mind spending 10x the repair cost on an attorney.

Also, FWIW, Tesla control arms do "just break": control arm failure site:teslamotorsclub.com - Google Search
Actually you don't need a lawyer for arbitration, that's the whole point. You could still hire one if you want. That said if there's history and precedent of an issue, Tesla has nothing to stand on making such a claim. If arms are breaking on stock cars, there goes an assumed claim that aftermarket damper broke the arm. Read the law, they actually have to prove whatever X part caused whatever damage.

Btw, if you look thru your linked thread closely you'll find it links to another thread stating that it's a known issue on those specific early cars. What does that mean, it's a design flaw.

Last edited:
Actually you don't need a lawyer for arbitration, that's the whole point.
No it isn't. The point is for the company to control the forum and avoid class action lawsuits. You don't *need* a lawyer for court either, but the rules of evidence are probably still going to apply in either court or arbitration. You brushed up on your hearsay exceptions? Know how to qualify an expert witness?