Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man, that's pathetic. They put the Taycan against the slowest model in Tesla's line-up in the wrong product category.

Maybe next time I'll get lucky and get to line-up instead of pulling behind. Taycan vs MY LR+Boost a few days ago:
Taycan_Hello_Bye.jpg

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
What an absolutely stupid comparison. CLICK BAIT.

Let's compare based on price. Because that's the end all be-all determining factor.

Sure, that makes sense. By that rationale, the Corvette is better than EVERY Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, etc. because it costs less right? Yes, it costs less. And yes, in some cases, it even beats those cars in a performance metric. Sometimes several or multiple. But does that mean that the Corvette is BETTER? No, not at all!

First of all, there's no "better". Just "whichever you like better". If you can't afford a Taycan, you'll definitely find the Tesla better. If you can afford a Taycan, chances are you'll find that better. Or maybe you'd rather spend the money on something else and find the Taycan "better" but not "better enough for the price".

Just STUPID.

BUt the Taycan they used was the rear wheel drive one and not the all wheel drive one right?

Yeah, they compared the performance Y against the cheapest Taycan variant. It seems like their goal was to try to get the two cars as close in price. But. mostly it was because they already had the performance Y.

The results aren't that surprising for a drag race, but hopefully they'll do additional tests like a range test.

I finally saw a Porsche Taycan that was parked at the shopping center where I go to get coffee. I got to do a walk around. No badging and the only physical indication that this Porsche was a Taycan was the rear grille and no exhaust. I know the Taycan has a charge port on each side but did not notice the charge port covers. Maybe the Taycan I saw had the air suspension in the lowest setting because it was very low, like Corvette low. I think I'll wait for the electric Macan that is due out in a couple of years.

Reactions: Giraffe950
What an absolutely stupid comparison. CLICK BAIT.

Let's compare based on price. Because that's the end all be-all determining factor.

Sure, that makes sense. By that rationale, the Corvette is better than EVERY Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, etc. because it costs less right? Yes, it costs less. And yes, in some cases, it even beats those cars in a performance metric. Sometimes several or multiple. But does that mean that the Corvette is BETTER? No, not at all!

First of all, there's no "better". Just "whichever you like better". If you can't afford a Taycan, you'll definitely find the Tesla better. If you can afford a Taycan, chances are you'll find that better. Or maybe you'd rather spend the money on something else and find the Taycan "better" but not "better enough for the price".

Just STUPID.

All the cars you mentioned are sports cars. What makes this different is that it's a CUV vs sports car. Also they clearly state that they chose these because they are close in price, not sure why you wanted to compare on price to try to make a point?

All the cars you mentioned are sports cars. What makes this different is that it's a CUV vs sports car. Also they clearly state that they chose these because they are close in price, not sure why you wanted to compare on price to try to make a point?

Chosing two vehicles because they are close in price and powered by the same type of powertrain is asinine, that’s why. Should I compare a Porsche Cayenne diesel to an F150 diesel? They are about the same price and both have 3 liter V 6 diesels, so why shouldn’t I compare them? Oh yeah, because one is a pickup and one an SUV that’s why.

Taycan is not a sports car. It’s a sedan. Comparing a sedan vs a CUV because they’re both electric and cost the same makes zero sense.

The name Porsche is fast period and screams performance. When one buys a Porsche and spends that kind of money I would think the buyer wants some kind of performance. This "base model" is like delivering a 911 with a Honda civic engine in it IMHO. If you paid attention to the video, the car used had options and actually came out to $100,000 as tested vs 70,000 for the Tesla. Equipped with launch control and air suspension just to name a few, wonder how expensive you can make this car if all options are added? Only options on a Tesla are a tow hitch, homelink and fancier wheels.

The comparison is odd to say the least however it remains a "Porsche" compared to a family oriented (possible 7 seater) crossover that gets severely crushed in every aspect of power. It's not like it was even close and I suspect the standard non performance Y could probably beat the Porsche. That being said, the Tesla Y is the slowest of all Teslas commonly referred to as the slow one.

The Taycan turbo S is the fastest EV out there however once again the new Tesla model S will outdo it come March if one believes what Elon promises. Bottom line is, Teslas are fast cars. Taycan turbo S has a starting price of $215,000 CDN!

I have owned quite a few vehicles over time, still have a ragtop Mercedes SL for summer fun and a GLC AMG. The Tesla Y is by far my favorite ride and puts a huge grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Agreed.

It's amazing to see how things are changing. The value a Tesla provides is undeniable and is reinforced every time someone lines up to one on a strip or track.

German manufacturers like Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes have great brands built upon decades of history. Tesla has firmly establishing itself and will always be in the conversation when discussing any of these and other high-end performance vehicles.

I encounter Porsches frequently and like that Porsche drivers actually drive their cars instead of treating them like garage queens. Here's a dashcam picture of one fishtailing coming around a sharp turn. :cool:

Porshe_fishtail.jpg

The name Porsche is fast period and screams performance. When one buys a Porsche and spends that kind of money I would think the buyer wants some kind of performance. This "base model" is like delivering a 911 with a Honda civic engine in it IMHO. If you paid attention to the video, the car used had options and actually came out to $100,000 as tested vs 70,000 for the Tesla. Equipped with launch control and air suspension just to name a few, wonder how expensive you can make this car if all options are added? Only options on a Tesla are a tow hitch, homelink and fancier wheels.

The comparison is odd to say the least however it remains a "Porsche" compared to a family oriented (possible 7 seater) crossover that gets severely crushed in every aspect of power. It's not like it was even close and I suspect the standard non performance Y could probably beat the Porsche. That being said, the Tesla Y is the slowest of all Teslas commonly referred to as the slow one.

The Taycan turbo S is the fastest EV out there however once again the new Tesla model S will outdo it come March if one believes what Elon promises. Bottom line is, Teslas are fast cars. Taycan turbo S has a starting price of $215,000 CDN!

I have owned quite a few vehicles over time, still have a ragtop Mercedes SL for summer fun and a GLC AMG. The Tesla Y is by far my favorite ride and puts a huge grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
FWIW on people claiming the Taycan isn't a sports car. It has four doors, but in this year's C&D Lightning Lap at VIR...

In a straight-line race, the Porsche Taycan and the Tesla Model S are reasonably close. But introduce VIR's two dozen corners and the difference between this year's Taycan Turbo S and the P85D we ran back in 2016 stretches to a 22.2-second gulf, a gap as cataclysmic as the one between a Miata and a Ferrari 430 Scuderia or a Camry and a Charger SRT Hellcat. The Tesla couldn't survive a quarter-lap before overheating and cutting power, which makes any more detailed comparisons—such as speed through the esses, where the Taycan averages 14.8 mph faster than the Model S—irrelevant.

C&D apparently asked Tesla for a M3P to include in this year's Lightning Lap and were told no.

Reactions: Ron_M3
I guess many here aren't old enough to remember when Car and Driver compared a GTO (Pontiac) to a GTO (Ferrari).... ;-)

Maybe it's me, but this growing habit of legacy manufacturers using old nomenclature for brand new BEV's is just dumb. The Mach-E isn't an 'electrified Mustang'. There is no 'turbo' in the Taycan Turbo. C'mon, guys, stop trying to equate these with ICE vehicles! /EndPetPeeve

I guess many here aren't old enough to remember when Car and Driver compared a GTO (Pontiac) to a GTO (Ferrari).... ;-)

Maybe it's me, but this growing habit of legacy manufacturers using old nomenclature for brand new BEV's is just dumb. The Mach-E isn't an 'electrified Mustang'. There is no 'turbo' in the Taycan Turbo. C'mon, guys, stop trying to equate these with ICE vehicles! /EndPetPeeve

LOL, even weirder, the non-"Turbo" Carerra now has two turbos, but the Taycan Turbo S of course has none. Maybe Porsche is trying to even things out to an average one turbo across their model range.

The price comparison is a fraud. To deck out the base Taycan with Tesla standard features, you need to add about $15,000 worth of options. See the build page for base Taycan. The difference would be even greater if the options on the Model Y in this "race" were to be revealed and matched. It's typical of German cars to make base model prices unrealistic once you look at options.

I recently had the fun of keeping up with a Taycan Turbo in my LR model Y (no acceleration boost).

I was headed toward the freeway and a beautiful blue Taycan turbo pulled up along side me at the light. The driver kept looking over at he like he wanted to race. When it turned green, the car loudly hit the gas. I was not about to drag race through a busy surburban street. But I wound up behind the Taycan Turbo turning onto the freeway onramp (its a long downsloping onramp). After turning onto the onramp, the Taycan punched it. I punched it. And I stayed a safe distance keeping up with the Taycan. It did not pull away at all.

I had a big smile on my face.

Last edited:
The price comparison is a fraud. To deck out the base Taycan with Tesla standard features, you need to add about $15,000 worth of options. See the build page for base Taycan. The difference would be even greater if the options on the Model Y in this "race" were to be revealed and matched. It's typical of German cars to make base model prices unrealistic once you look at options.

I also wonder how much dealer crap do you need to pay? IME most dealers find a way to add 3-5k of crap dealer fees to a new car. I would expect Porsche to be on the high side, but have never bought one so don't know for sure.

Gotta laser etch that VIN on those windows for $700 guys...... :(

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677 and mark95476