Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone- i am new to looking at a tesla. I will start with a test drive of the y tomorrow. I am looking for your smart input on my decision on which model to purchase. Here are my challenges;
I currently have a lexus and range rover. I like the economics of the model y its size and range etc. My first issue is the reported hard ride. That will be a problem for me. I prefer the soft luxury ride. I starting looking at preowned Xs but if i land a state rebate or fed reups on fed rebates that does not seem like a good proposition given the preowned x mkt values at present. In genetal there is a huge premium between x and y. Some people say only marginal difference in interior comfort for passengers in fact apparently legroom in y in rear is superior. So in a perfect world if y had the air suspension it would be a no brainer but it appears that may be a ways off. The new x with its air suspension and supposedly 500 range is very nice but i do not plan to work, sleep or entertain in the car so the 50k difference in price is something i can not seem to swallow. So here it is in a nutshell. Wait till new x arrives and then price out preowned 18 or 19 x vs new y. I think my net cost in my state would be about 45 on LR awd with state rebate. If fed comes then its possibly a lot lower. An 18 or 19 x in say 6 months is probably 60-65k from what im seeing with additional drop once new x hits tesla stores. Appreciate everyones thoughts in economics and best value for me to get into an EV in short to medium term. Thx u in advance.

You could consider putting an aftermarket suspension on a new Y for about 3K - much less than the upgrade to an X. Or go the really cheap route like I did and just reduce the tire pressure. I have a LR Y with the 19" wheels and I can tell a definite difference between 45psi and 42psi, well worth whatever range hit I'm taking. Give the LR Y a thorough test drive over rough roads before you assume the ride will be too rough.

Im sorry to be uneducated but what is a “raven” and why that?

Prior to mid-April 2019, the S and X were still using the old air suspension system.

Later in April 2019, there's a new revision of the S and X and that revision is called Raven. It's named after the X-Men's Mystique (Raven Darkhölme). It includes new motor so you can do a 1 pedal driving (much stronger regen) as well as new adaptive suspension damping with real time visualization:

I thought i read new x and s would have significant range updates??

Yes. Please go to the order page and see for yourself.

Test drive a Model Y. I kept hearing about the alleged harsh ride and was worried as I bought a Model Y without ever test-driving it. I came from a 2018 Audi Q5 which had a very comfortable ride. I don't think the Model Y is much different -- it's pretty smooth to me. It is maybe louder than the Q5 but I don't find it to be harsh at all. Granted, I have the 19" wheels, maybe that makes a difference. Also, it was built in the last month -- maybe they've improved the ride since the initial launch of the Y?

Overall, I find the suspension complaints to be largely overblown (at least in my experience).

The ride on the Y depends on the wheel/suspension you get. With 19” wheels it is pretty good, it is still on the sporty side, but definitely not harsh. The performance model with 21” wheels can be harsh.

That aside, I’d suggest taking a close look at both and deciding for yourself. We have a Y now (so maybe I’m a little biased) but we did recently have an X overnight as a loaner. The X has the doors, but the passenger space in the Y actually feels much more open and roomy in the back especially. Essentially it is slightly bigger on the outside, but actually is a bit smaller on the inside.

Be sure to test the Y with Gemini wheels if you want the best OEM ride possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Maybe you were thinking about the CyberTruck TriMotor with a range of 500 miles costing $69,900.

Model X range is 360 miles costing $89,990.

If you buy used, make sure it's Raven starting around April 2019.

The OP was talking about the new model X that is coming out soon, with 500+ miles range.

If money is not an issue, I just wait a few months and test drive the new model X before making the decision.

The OP was talking about the new model X that is coming out soon, with 500+ miles range.

I thought i read new x and s would have significant range updates??

If Elon Musk talked about it "soon" this week, that might be 5 years from now. But worse, I've never heard of any FUTURE Model X that will have a range of 500 miles. Did Elon Musk just tweet? Did he mention it somewhere? Did a car magazine talk about that in the past?

You could consider putting an aftermarket suspension on a new Y for about 3K - much less than the upgrade to an X. Or go the really cheap route like I did and just reduce the tire pressure. I have a LR Y with the 19" wheels and I can tell a definite difference between 45psi and 42psi, well worth whatever range hit I'm taking. Give the LR Y a thorough test drive over rough roads before you assume the ride will be too rough.
I too run with reduced tire pressure in my model 3 long range. Slight range hit. Much quieter and smoother.

I have both a 2019 MX and 2020 MY. For ride quality MX is superb and is very good for long distance drive. I drive my MY with tire pressure down to 38psi and it provides a better ride than the 43psi that Tesla suggests, granted you lose some range efficiency/mileage but the ride quality is much better. I have not driven a MY with modified aftermarket suspension ( Mountain Pass or Unplugged performance) so can't comment on that as "ride comfort" definition is very subjective and is a personal preference.

I have also owned both cars. I just traded in my 2016 P90D MX (20" wheels) for a new MY LR w/ 19" wheels. I agree that the ride is much smoother and more luxurious in the X. I actually prefer the stiffer, sportier handling in the Y for my daily driving. For long trips with passengers, the X was a bit more comfortable. I am a little disappointed in the way you hear and feel bumps in the Y. It takes away from the premium feel a little bit. It's not necessarily uncomfortable, just annoying. I guess I will try lowering my tire pressure, too.

I have both a 2019 MX and 2020 MY. For ride quality MX is superb and is very good for long distance drive. I drive my MY with tire pressure down to 38psi and it provides a better ride than the 43psi that Tesla suggests, granted you lose some range efficiency/mileage but the ride quality is much better. I have not driven a MY with modified aftermarket suspension ( Mountain Pass or Unplugged performance) so can't comment on that as "ride comfort" definition is very subjective and is a personal preference.
+1 👆

I also ride with 38 PSI warm on MY, and I think factory default is 44 PSI warm? (or was it 44 PSI cold, I don't remember). 38 is not only much more comfortable, but its also quieter. EV tires are overinflated at the sticker to get the EPA range numbers. I typically also lower the air on my other EVs by around 4 PSI.

The other thing to consider, especially coming from Lexus/Ranger Rover, is that MY louder all around. A combination of wind and road noise. It's the loudest car I've ever owned, EV or not. If you happen to go on another test drive, definitely take it on the highway at constant speed for 10-20 miles or so and see if you can live with the noise.

+1 👆

I also ride with 38 PSI warm on MY, and I think factory default is 44 PSI warm? (or was it 44 PSI cold, I don't remember). 38 is not only much more comfortable, but its also quieter. EV tires are overinflated at the sticker to get the EPA range numbers. I typically also lower the air on my other EVs by around 4 PSI.

The other thing to consider, especially coming from Lexus/Ranger Rover, is that MY louder all around. A combination of wind and road noise. It's the loudest car I've ever owned, EV or not. If you happen to go on another test drive, definitely take it on the highway at constant speed for 10-20 miles or so and see if you can live with the noise.
The door sticker on my 3/31 delivered Y reads 42 cold.

Reactions: 73Bruin