Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yearly Maintenance + Lease Option + Selling Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maintenance was covered for the first 4 years, and I think I had about 40K miles on the odometer. I have had a couple of interval oil changes during the first 4 years, which are not covered. I had a 45K mile service about 18 months ago, roughly paid about $900. They offer an extended maintenance plan for about $3000 which goes to 6 years/100K miles IIRC, but I really didn't see the value in it, given that by my best estimate, I'd only take advantage of one service interval, which turned out to be true.

If the OP's pricing structure of $600/year holds true, there is really no maintenance advantage over the M5 using your numbers. Best case it may be a close wash, worst case the difference will be pretty significant. If Tesla had complete maintenance capped at $600 then that may be a start, but they even nickle and dime on the fluid changes, wipers etc.

Just curious if anyone has emailed their Tesla rep lately and asked them specifically to explain maintenance costs? There seems to be lots of speculation but no definitive data.

By the way, IMO $600 a year is way too much for an EV. I currently drive a Leaf and the 6 month service checks are a joke: Rotate tires and update software.

If you're going to complain about the lack of category breakdown on the site, you might want to actually check what's really on the site.

You simply complained without even a cursory click to realize that your complaint was completely invalid.

Not cool.

Chill out dude. I didn't complain about anything. I looked at what was on the site, specifically what the TMO consists of, and I posted it for everyone to understand that the numbers produced by "TMO" are the sum of multiple categories. You can't compare TMO to yearly maintenance because they're not the same thing.

Your TMO link didn't take me to any categories, or if they were there I missed them because I wasn't looking for them. I was looking for what "TMO" is..

Edit: I think you're confusing me with another poster.

Last edited:
If you're going to complain about the lack of category breakdown on the site, you might want to actually check what's really on the site.

You simply complained without even a cursory click to realize that your complaint was completely invalid.

Not cool.

I clicked on the M5 link

2007 BMW M5 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual True Cost to Own

* Based on a 5-year estimate with 15,000 miles driven per year
Spatters is an owner of an M5 with 58k miles...

it shows:

as maintenance

$2,238

$646

$5,413

$922

$3,150

$12,369 (total)

and repairs

$1,794

$1,934

$2,082

$2,240

$2,409

Total $10,459

(22k in additional costs in addition to the prepaid maintenance)

According to Spatters data this it not even close to being accurate...Please Advise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was I wrong? Go look at my post again.
Since you insist:

"The Edmunds Inc. True Cost to Own® (TCO)...
Probably not a good comparison tool for this particular thread considering only yearly maintenance is being discussed.

My link clearly shows it has a breakdown on yearly maintenance.
You however, by your own admission, didn't even take the time to click the supplied link. You wrote up an post incorrectly saying the TCO site wasn't of value since we're discussing yearly maintenance costs when the TCO site clearly shows yearly maintenance costs.

I've no problem with your contributing to the discussion, but when people take the time to find sources and link them, its a simple courtesy to actually look at them before dismissing their value.

According to Spatters data this it not even close to being accurate...Please Advise?
Get more samples? Look at other sites?

Unless you're intending spatters' single data point as the only one necessary to generalize to all possible M5 maintenance costs? I'm not particularly sold on Edmunds, they're just a common name in the business. Try the other sites.

I have no idea where that data comes from, since every M5 gets the maintenance agreement for the first 4 years. If you do an oil change every 3500 miles, then you are looking at about 1600 per year in oil changes (15k miles). I wonder if it includes tires, which run about $1500 a set. For the past 5 years, I have contributed my repair data to a website called TrueDelta which tracks real owners' reliability issues and reports them. Granted,mthere is audience and selection bias so take with a grain of salt.

Get more samples? Look at other sites?

Unless you're intending spatters' single data point as the only one necessary to generalize to all possible M5 maintenance costs? I'm not particularly sold on Edmunds, they're just a common name in the business. Try the other sites.

Lets use plain logic here, do you really believe it costs 22k over 5 years and 75k miles in maintenance and repairs (with a 4 year 50k mile maintenance agreement & bumper to bumper warranty)?

If you do then there is no more to discuss.

Lets use plain logic here, do you really believe it costs 22k over 5 years and 75k miles in maintenance and repairs (with a 4 year 50k mile maintenance agreement & bumper to bumper warranty)?

If you do then there is no more to discuss.
I believe in objective numbers gathered by 3rd parties with a relevant interest in the industry. I also believe in comparing competitors numbers in an industry, e.g. Edmunds, KBB, etc.

Your belief is based in...?

The KBB data looks more real world and closer to my experience. They definitely account for the warranty and maintenance programs. Without a maintenance program, the car will run around that much for recommended maintenance (real world, NOT BMW current schedule) every 15K miles. The repairs estimates are confusing though.

My link clearly shows it has a breakdown on yearly maintenance.

You however, by your own admission, didn't even take the time to click the supplied link. You wrote up an post incorrectly saying the TCO site wasn't of value since we're discussing yearly maintenance costs when the TCO site clearly shows yearly maintenance costs.

I've no problem with your contributing to the discussion, but when people take the time to find sources and link them, its a simple courtesy to actually look at them before dismissing their value.

I clicked on the TMO link in your post (in the first part of your post0, because I was interested in what "TMO" was. You put a link to it, and I checked it out. I didn't click the "Mercedes" link because I wasn't concerned with the Mercedes-specific TMO. I just wanted to know what TMO was, and I posted what it was so everyone understood. Am I forgiven now?

With timing belts, radiator flushes, transmission oil changes, etc I probably get to $600 a year pretty easily. A simple look at edmunds TCO for something like a Camry shows about $3000 maintenance expected over 5 years, or about $600 a year. That's separate from their estimate for "repairs". The Audi A5 shows nearly $6000 in expected maintenance.

True Cost to Own (TCO) Calculator on Edmunds.com

Edmunds estimates $2.3k a year:2012 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 5.5L V8 Twin-turbo 7-speed Automatic True Cost to Own

Last edited:
I clicked on the TMO link in your post (in the first part of your post0, because I was interested in what "TMO" was. You put a link to it, and I checked it out. I didn't click the "Mercedes" link because I wasn't concerned with the Mercedes-specific TMO. I just wanted to know what TMO was, and I posted what it was so everyone understood. Am I forgiven now?
FYI, it's TCO (Total Cost of Ownership, of which maintenance is one of the components), not TMO.

The KBB data looks more real world and closer to my experience. They definitely account for the warranty and maintenance programs.
Very interesting. If you look at a 2012 BMW on Edmunds, it accounts for the free maintenance. If you look at a 2007, it doesn't. Maybe it assumes if you look at a 2007 you're looking as if you're buying a used one and thus don't get the maintenance?

2012 BMW 5 Series 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 8-speed Automatic True Cost to Own
2007 BMW 5 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual True Cost to Own

It is also possible that the Tesla Rep who spoke to the OP did not realize they were talking about the Model S and thought they were talking about the Roadster and quoted him $600 in maintenance charges.