Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Screen border, poor quality & workmanship, and poor customer service -- Arbitration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I've never heard of anyone else with a yellow IC border, just the main touchscreen.

/edit. again this is only visible under direct sunlight. You can't see any orange under normal operating conditions. It really doesn't bother me at all.
The yellow border around the Instrument Cluster was one of my issues during the arbitration. Tesla’s expert testified that he had not seen a fix for it as of 9/2019

Yellow IC border is a thing. There is no fix officially. Tesla has been in a sad state as a company as far as service and changing up warranty terms over the last 1.5 years or so.

I don't anticipate this will have a fix anytime soon :'(

Attachments

• 20200509_121133.jpg
    20200509_121133.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Yellow IC border is a thing. There is no fix officially. Tesla has been in a sad state as a company as far as service and changing up warranty terms over the last 1.5 years or so.

Is the IC display panel behind the bezel not rectangular?

If so, the yellow boarder here is following the plastic moulding and not the screen edge. The edge is hardly getting more sun exposure than the centre area, so it is / is it more likely to be the heat of the plastic surround.

I haven't followed other yellow boarder threads too closely, so heat may already be known as the main cause, but that has me thinking about keeping plastic surface temperatures down where possible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Is the IC display panel behind the bezel not rectangular?

If so, the yellow boarder here is following the plastic moulding and not the screen edge. The edge is hardly getting more sun exposure than the centre area, so it is / is it more likely to be the heat of the plastic surround.

I haven't followed other yellow boarder threads too closely, so heat may already be known as the main cause, but that has me thinking about keeping plastic surface temperatures down where possible.

The yellow border is more difficult to see on the IC because of the dark background, but can be seen especially in indirect sunlight. I have the IC yellow border, but have not fixed it yet because it is not too noticeable. I am thinking about treating it by creating a new UV box for it so I can reuse the UV LED bulb from my DIY MCU fix.

The yellow border is more difficult to see on the IC because of the dark background, but can be seen especially in indirect sunlight. I have the IC yellow border, but have not fixed it yet because it is not too noticeable. I am thinking about treating it by creating a new UV box for it so I can reuse the UV LED bulb from my DIY MCU fix.

Purely for interest's sake, does your car sit in sun / get especially hot for long periods?

No it is mostly in the garage, but it does get over 80 degrees F in there during the summer. It has not been exposed to much direct sunlight since new.

I thought I had my MCU screen completely cured, but as the weather in the Sacramento area has started to get warmer, the yellow band has slightly reappeared so I will be doing some additional curing on that too.

I thought I had my MCU screen completely cured, but as the weather in the Sacramento area has started to get warmer, the yellow band has slightly reappeared so I will be doing some additional curing on that too.

I was following the earlier posts on this and the curing of the adhesive and also followed some links about the process in general.

What I didn't really understand was what is happening to the adhesive (presumably accelerated by heat) that in general effects the boarder of the screens more / sooner than the middle. I would expect the IC to heat up more all over as it gets cooked if the sun is shining on the top of its housing.

I wonder if anyone has taken thermal images of the screens and surrounding surfaces.

And, for the issue to still be plaguing new vehicles makes me think it isn't a manufacturing issue as much as a design issue using displays or assembly processes / materials that aren't up to the environmental conditions inside the cabin.

If it really is some form of under-exposure in manufacturing, why hasn't that been addressed? Is the yellowing an acceleration of aging? Often uv exposure also accelerates aging of plastics, so is it reversing something in the case of screens yellowing, or just masking it?

I'm pretty certain there is a fix for the IC yellow border. A friend of mine had his fixed (same curing method as for main screen) at Rocklin, CA service center.

I was following the earlier posts on this and the curing of the adhesive and also followed some links about the process in general.

What I didn't really understand was what is happening to the adhesive (presumably accelerated by heat) that in general effects the boarder of the screens more / sooner than the middle. I would expect the IC to heat up more all over as it gets cooked if the sun is shining on the top of its housing.

I wonder if anyone has taken thermal images of the screens and surrounding surfaces.

And, for the issue to still be plaguing new vehicles makes me think it isn't a manufacturing issue as much as a design issue using displays or assembly processes / materials that aren't up to the environmental conditions inside the cabin.

If it really is some form of under-exposure in manufacturing, why hasn't that been addressed? Is the yellowing an acceleration of aging? Often uv exposure also accelerates aging of plastics, so is it reversing something in the case of screens yellowing, or just masking it?

When I was researching the issue to create a DIY curing solution, I found out that the LOCA can include additives for avoiding discoloration, but it costs more. There may other reasons why Tesla uses the particular LOCA they do, I don’t know. I also read that thicker applications can lead to partial curing and heat can cause the deeper layers of LOCA to discolor even after top layers were previously cured. They use LOCA to seal the screen and provide a solid, clear bond. I have done my curing incrementally because I don’t know how much is too much and don’t want to take a chance of over doing it and causing damage. I also completely mask off trim and other non-screen material when curing inside the box I constructed. Since UV at 365nm can damage eyesight, I also made sure my box is sealed tight to the screen using plenty of painters tape. I cure in a dark garage for cooler temps and to check for UV light leakage.

I was the one referenced a little earlier in the thread blacklisted by Tesla(incidentally, I was apparently not getting notices on that thread and it's now 9 pages). Note that the thread I had previously on the model s yellow screen was over 85 pages! That is quite a lot of people with issues not being resolved.

Since then we ended up purchasing an Audi Etron and the quality difference is substantial. The car drives better then the model S we had and the model 3 we still have.

While not as "fun" as the other vehicles (although the Taycan we are getting to finish our transition away from Tesla will be the fun vehicle) the fit, finish, quality, and ride are all worlds above the Tesla.

Where it stands:

• Auto pilot: Tesla does have Audi beat here. Autopilot IS better then "traffic Jam Assist". However, not substantially. I can confidentially let the Audi drive 95% of my drive to work on 101 and 85 in the sfbay area. Autopilot is no longer untouchable. Competition is catching up fast
  • Acceleration: Etron is same as older model s, slower then 3.(the Taycan will be faster then both)
  • Milage: roughly the same as what our model s was getting
  • Software: Tesla still has Audi beat on this for the most part. Charging scheduling is odd and clunky, it shows me where gas stations are and took me awhile to figure out how to disable.
    • Audi does have wireless carplay though, which is awesome
  • Features: Audi has massaging seats, ventilated seats, sunroof, carplay, android auto, HUD, adjustable bolsters/thigh cushions, notouch lift gate, rear climate controls. It has significantly better camera features such as 360 view and tire cornering angles. All features that should be in modern luxury vehicles that Tesla does not have (Tesla has better app, self parking, and slightly better self driving functionality)

And EVERY SINGLE EV AUDI AND PORSCHE SOLD GIVES THEM MORE CREDITS TO SELL that many more GHG-DUMPING ICE AUDI AND PORSCHE cars and SUV's.

Yeah, that's smart . . . not.

News | Greenland, Antarctica Melting Six Times Faster Than in the 1990s

MARCH 16, 2020
Greenland, Antarctica Melting Six Times Faster Than in the 1990s

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide and Pollux
BTW, as an additional data point, both of our 2017 MS's had the yellow border on the edges of the MCU. Both were repaired with a short, 2-hour visit to the Dallas SC.

No muss, no fuss.

Could Tesla have handled this better? Of course. Poor communication, delays, questionable customer service, etc. all left some, like the OP, with a bad experience.

But Tesla did, eventually, implement a wide-spread program to fix the bad MCU's.

Now we have 2019 and 2020 MS's; no MCU screen issues yet, or likely ever.

Planet's future? Ever so slightly better because we've added two more MS's to the world's ground transportation fleet, and sent some money Tesla's way so they can continue to grow and hopefully save our only planet's future.

When you look at the BIG PICTURE, sometimes you get a better view of what is really important . . . .

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and glide
Yellow border: much disinformation or obsolete information in this thread.
Remember that old TV show where the the detective says: "only the facts, ma'am"?

The facts:
I used the app to set up a "yellow border on screen" appointment.
Delivered the car to Service Center at 10:18 am.
Red box with UV lights and cooling fans was placed against main screen.
Played with the new vehicles, had a nice lunch at a nearby restaurant.
UV treatment finished, drove 42 miles back home, started charging at 2:09.

Yellow border gone, no fee. Friendly staff, pleasant experience. No drama.