Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Screen border, poor quality & workmanship, and poor customer service -- Arbitration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a brand new Tesla model S in 2018 through one of my best experiences with car sales. No-haggle, accommodating salesperson, and an effortless process.

However, immediately after pick up, everything changed. I soon realized that Tesla pays little attention to the workmanship of their products. The car's technology is impressive, but the actual quality of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired.

I won't bother you with all the details, and will only share a few of my issues: car was misaligned at pick up (I had to turn the steering wheel about 10-20 degrees to the left to make the car go straight)----Tesla sales department asked that I make a service appointment as I had already signed the contract and nothing else they could do. My Bluetooth started echoing (on the receiver's end), my air suspension made a funny vibration noise at random hours even when the car was parked at 4 am, and my screen started turning yellow (The yellowing of the screen borders is the same issue as with 1000s of other Model S/X owners).

When I brought these issues to Tesla's attention through many service appointments, emails, videos, etc., I was confronted with an arrogance that I found disturbing. The attitude I got from the service department was basically: The car is "drivable"; these are mostly aesthetic issues (yellow screen) and stop complaining, or they would say: "it will get fixed with a future firmware upgrade," but could not tell me when.

It seems like Tesla has gotten the hard part, bringing new technology to the automotive industry, right but is completely inept when it comes to customer service/retention and making a high-quality automobile.

Tesla was relentless in trying to say the defects effecting my car were not covered by warranty calling the suspension noise "Louder than normal" rather than abnormal. Saying the yellow screen could be "healed" at some future date, "free of charge for the first attempt, through a "goodwill" something or other. They even admitted, after it was leaked, that the yellow screen was due to a defective glue curing process they used during manufacturing. When I asked to have my yellow bordered screen replaced, they asked for $1700.

I was bewildered by the disreputable attitude portrayed by Tesla. Tesla is a young company with high potentials; only if they change their current customer service culture.

Unfortunately, for me, I had no choice but to file a legal claim against them and go through the arbitration process. Tesla decided to fight me all the way with having two expert witnesses and two attorneys present during the two-day arbitration.

Even during the arbitration, Tesla's arrogance was apparent through their attorney and their arguments. I prevailed. The judge found the yellow screen, the noise, the Bluetooth issue, and a couple of other issues were indeed nonconformity and held Tesla liable for not fixing these defects within 30 days and not upholding their pledge for customer service.

Something that could have cost Tesla much less, even if they had given me a brand new replacement car, ended up costing them significantly more.

Do not let Tesla tell you the Yellow screen or other issues are not covered under warranty. Make sure you document all your conversations with them and speak to an expert.

If you are finding yourself in the same situation of having to fight Tesla, I highly recommend getting an attorney and going through arbitration/trial. If you want the contact info for my attorney, whom I thought was excellent, PM me.

So what was the conclusion? Are you getting the items dealt with or is Tesla doing a buy back or ...?

Note there are some threads here with similar experiences and Tesla did a buy back and then blocked the person from being able to buy a new replacement Tesla. Something about the customer and Tesla not being compatible etc.

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
This is usefull for someone who bought NEW Tesla.
What about people who bought used Tesla trough their website?
Are they out of luck?
They cant ask for buy back or arbitration because vehicle was already used.
But even used Tesla can cost more then 90k and still have these problems.
Tesla need to change their policy or soon they will have significant drop in sales.
Also its interesting how European Tesla owners don't have this problems!
You know why? EU laws are protecting buyers. And maybe build quality is much better. Don't see European people complaining about yellow screen and other issues anywhere

Reactions: BulldogsRus
So what was the conclusion? Are you getting the items dealt with or is Tesla doing a buy back or ...?

Note there are some threads here with similar experiences and Tesla did a buy back and then blocked the person from being able to buy a new replacement Tesla. Something about the customer and Tesla not being compatible etc.

If you are limited to ONE only service center where you live and where you will find same rude unhelpful people I doubt you want ever to come back there. Just give me my money back and bye!

Besides having to pay for the entire msrp of the car including registration etc. they also had to pay other penalties. It needed up costing them significantly more than the actual msrp of the car at the time of purchase.

Are they out of luck?
Tesla need to change their policy or soon they will have significant drop in sales.
You know why? EU laws are protecting buyers. And maybe build quality is much better. Don't see European people complaining about yellow screen and other issues anywhere
My car was purchased through the website and the arbitration took about 1.5 years since they did not want to settle with me. The car had about 20K on it at the time the judgement was issued. It had 5 miles when it was purchased.

And its funny how I find this "Tesla best sale experience and effortless process ever". People are saying this everywhere. And then - :eek:.
If im buying $100k vehicle I DONT CARE about buying experience !!!
I want to TEST my car, inspect it and get 7 days return policy if something is wrong. That's what I WANT!
Who cares if I stay 2 more hours at dealership ? Im just trying to see if everything is OK!
I don't want my car to be delivered to my house in rainy day,sign papers and after 1 minute good buy car is mine and every issues will be addressed later.
NO NO NO

And its funny how I find this "Tesla best sale experience and effortless process ever". People are saying this everywhere. And then - :eek:.
If im buying $100k vehicle I DONT CARE about buying experience !!!
I want to TEST my car, inspect it and get 7 days return policy if something is wrong. That's what I WANT!
Who cares if I stay 2 more hours at dealership ? Im just trying to see if everything is OK!
I don't want my car to be delivered to my house in rainy day,sign papers and after 1 minute good buy car is mine and every issues will be addressed later.
NO NO NO
I think for any prospective Tesla shopper, coming here first to at least get some idea of what "may" happen or be encountered is more helpful, because reading the OP's comment a lot of what Tesla stated is true i.e "...he yellow screen could be "healed" at some future date, "free of charge for the first attempt, through a "goodwill" something or other. They even admitted, after it was leaked, that the yellow screen was due to a defective glue curing process they used during manufacturing"

True, they have a machine and from all indications it does work to fix the yellowing issue, the problem is it seems there are only a limited amount available and the waiting list is long.

People that are shopping for an $80-100k vehicle probably came from Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi or Porsche and overall their customer service at least appears superior, not to mention you can always get a voice on the phone. This is why you see a lot of posts like this, because the expectation for the money should be similar, when in reality it seems you are more so paying for the tech and ' Tesla experience'.

I went through this as well. After 5months they finally agreed to buy back the vehicle rather than risk it be declared a lemon. Naively i thought it was a fluke and ordered a new replacement. The replacement has been better but it is still a piece of crap for $100k vehicle. I recommend AGAINST buying their cars all the time.

like you, their refusal to easily acknowledge their issues was the biggest issue for me. It is still my daily driver but i have a love hate relationship with it. I wish i had bought an s class benz or something quality instead.

I soon realized that Tesla pays little attention to the workmanship of their products. The car's technology is impressive, but the actual quality of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired.
If Tesla was making cars with a traditional petrol / Diesel engine they would have gone broke a long time ago.
It is a shame that after all these years the production line hasn't got its act together, I'm stunned that cheap and cheerful Asian made cars are built to a higher standard than Tesla can manage. :(

More and more of these threads. I'm at nearly 4 months to get a replacement hood, front bumper, and front fender after a deer strike in our MS. I can't go back to an ICE but I am so looking forward to some real competition. Competition which I believe will manifest first in the truck segment. Hummer, Rivian, Ford, and Atlis, all look like they have very viable alternatives to the CT. If they can meet their targets Tesla will have a serious fight on its hands (in that segment anyway).

Never again will I buy another Tesla. Never.

My 2013 P85 supercharges much slower than it used to (#chargegate). Many of my fellow owners have had over 10% of their range removed via software update to cover up a significant and lurking safety issue with its batteries (#batterygate). Tesla, aka Elon Musk, expects its ownership base to act like beta testers. Tesla ships a sub-par product, pushes design and manufacturing problems downstream to owners and service, and then denies as many warranty claims as possible on those subpar products.

Welcome to the new Tesla and why I will never, ever, buy another car from them. I'll happily make money on the stock and buy a competing EV from a manufacturer who doesn't take its owners for fools. Model 3 owners are flying high right now, but trust me, the honeymoon will wear off soon.

Are they out of luck?
I'm in Europe..... Just! (UK)

The 2017 loaner X 100D I'm driving now has yellow boarder. The 2018 MS 100D CPO I nearly bought had a nice yellow boarder. I'm sure there are loads of yellow screens here. Another 100D 2017 MS I looked at from a 3rd party dealer also had boarder.

A friend of a friend had a MX with a serious structural fault.

If there are fewer issues then may be because not as many cars shipped to Europe? Or maybe different environmental conditions? But I reckon there are similar faults in Europe as in USA.

Amped, I'm having same issues, I fixed everything but battery. I joined the San Francisco lawsuit. They me throttled back to 60kw max.
Customer Service has gone to hell. My SC was wonderful in January 2017, but now, not close. The service guy stood right in front of me and lied to me about what my car came with. Tried to make mobile appointment, they refused. Insisted I had to go to SC to get it fixed. I fixed it. Their Karma is gone if u read a hundred post on here.

It is a shame for both sides that it apparently has to be that way.

I can only speak as I find, and so far service have bent over backwards to take care of any (reasonable) issues. I try to sort out and prioritise my requests (to any service provider) and make it clear which, if any, are on the 'asking a bit much' end of the scale. I still ask, and leave it with them to draw their own lines. Usually, they are drawn in my favor, and I remind my self of that when I feel things maybe not so much as I think they should be.

What stands out for me is that generally, most service staff here in the UK seem genuinely concerned to make me happy and do a good job. Of course that doesn't work out EVERY time.

Reactions: Evoforce