Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Screen border, poor quality & workmanship, and poor customer service -- Arbitration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a lot of people are asking about the judgment: Tesla was ordered to pay the car off and return my down payment and refund all the payments and daily interest I had paid on the car, they were ordered to pay me back my registration fee, I was asked to pay Tesla $450 for the time the car was not a nonconformity ( 2weeks). Tesla was ordered to pay me a civil penalty. Tesla was asked to pay all my attorney fees. Tesla was asked to add all my reward and pay me a 10% annual interest on the total sum from 9/2018 till they made their final payment to me.....

I love it. a big F U to Tesla.

I’m sorry to the op for the issues you had. Tesla’s are amazing cars and unfortunately the service varies from service center to service center. Mine is amazing.

but seriously. Didn’t your lawyer tell you to stay the hell off social media (TMC IS social media) if they didn’t they’re idiots.

This whole thing doesn’t read as here’s the info and what happened but more of a two year old yelling “neener neener neener” sorry just my two cents.

Yeah - everyone should know/realize that all SC's are not the same.

And most cars are fine.

2015 with 82k. 2019 M3 -11k. I had almost forgotten where the SC was. My last interaction was 2 weeks ago (had been well over a year since I was there and that was for the M3 test drive). I called and asked if they had the door handle gear part in stock. Took less than a minute to get someone on the phone. Spent about 10 min at store picking up part.

My S has been seen by mobile a couple of times in the last 3 years - airbag recall and 12V battery. This despite living 15 min from SC. Mobile service is quite the luxury. Both times it was in parking lot at work and I never knew it happened other than the text confirmations.

My door handle is my first out of warranty repair. Cost me $6. Not bad for 32k miles out of warranty.
The Model 3 has never been to SC. It is 1 year old next month.

Yeah - everyone should know/realize that all SC's are not the same.

And most cars are fine.

My wife recently got a Model 3, and I am passing on getting a Model S because of issues like the yellowing screen, and MCU logging. What seems strange about "service experience" being SC dependent is I would guess that once arbitration starts, the issue is no longer about the SC, its about the company. If the SC service was out of line, it would get corrected at that point by the company. The fact that even at the company level it appears as though Tesla refuses to address some of these issues is troubling.

Further, if these were isolated incidents, why not fix them? If most customers were having problems, maybe they'd try to ignore it / bury it because otherwise it would bankrupt them. But if its only a minority, why be stubborn about it? It seems strange to me that a "screen" would cause so much trouble when consumer computer screens are everywhere. A touchscreen is kind of a generic item these days, no? its not some special tech for a car. You'd think replacing the type of screen uses in the Model S / X with one that doesn't turn yellow or drip goo out of it would not be that complicated (but admittedly, I don't know.. maybe its a weird size or some other issue).

Why the years long foot dragging on the logging issue with the MCU and bricking it? I actually think that its brilliant to have all the controls come into a central computer, because in theory you could easily upgrade that with anything else in teh future, as long as it knows how to talk to the existing hardware. new control computer + appropriate wiring harness = easy update? So why is getting a paid MCU upgrade to something faster also some kind of dubious roadblock? It seems like there is a ton of potential here for Tesla to do even more things that old guard car makers don't do. beyond providing regular OTA updates, they could also allow for customers to update / upgrade their MCU over the years and even decades to keep it current.

I'm no expert on these issues, I've only read here or there about it. Maybe Tesla just doesn't have time to mess with it or doesn't want to make time. It seems like they are learning and adapting quite a bit as the company gets going, maybe they want to quietly walk away from their early cars so they can move on with the new ones (not saying that's right).

On teh other hand (I'm not trying to make excuses for Tesla): Tesla is just getting started. Every other car company has decades and decades of procedures, logistics, cost / profit center balance, etc under their belts. Maybe this first decade or two with Tesla is just going to be rough and maybe they are doing a better job than it seems. Plus - the whole industry scoffs at Tesla's goals. They could certainly take more time to cement in all of their service structure, but maybe they are just dumping everything into having to prove again that the next step is going to work (ie, affordable / generalized EV adoption). Right now = roll out Model 3 / Ys as fast as possible. Then circle back and fix stuff.

/shrug

Reactions: Jashev
you may be right, but there are ones even worse then the black sheep talked about in this forum.

So its 2 ends of a seesaw.

I agree, it seems we need somewhere to track reviews of the various SCs, so people know where to go for good service. I've had very positive experience with the Honolulu SC, which is fortunate considering it is a long way to an alternative SC...

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
I’m sorry to the op for the issues you had. Tesla’s are amazing cars and unfortunately the service varies from service center to service center. Mine is amazing.

but seriously. Didn’t your lawyer tell you to stay the hell off social media (TMC IS social media) if they didn’t they’re idiots.

This whole thing doesn’t read as here’s the info and what happened but more of a two year old yelling “neener neener neener” sorry just my two cents.

Totally not. How can you defend SC's behavior, it's beyond comprehension.

Love how some folks here can't help but make excuses for Tesla's ever worsening behavior. Elon Musk is a robot who doesn't understand other human beings. He presumes everyone who buys his cars is a nerd who wants to pay an exorbitant amount of money to become a beta tester. I bought my Model S knowing that it was a first-of-its-kind product. I expected service issues.

What I did not expect was Tesla sending me a software update, six years into my ownership experience, that reduced my Supercharging rate by over 20% (search: #chargegate). What many others did not expect was Tesla removing 10% or more of their battery capacity to cover up a defect that can cause the vehicles to catch fire (search: #batterygate).

Now Tesla has amended its warranty to state it can remove range and performance at any time after purchase, and at its sole discretion.

Does this sound like an honest company that cares about its customers?

At least with an ICE, BMW isn't going to beam into my car remotely to artificially reduce my MPG, cut the size of my gas tank, and lower my performance from what was advertised.

Welcome to the new Tesla. One that flips the bird not only to its customers but also to the NTSB, NHTSA, and every other regulatory body.

Love how some folks here can't help but make excuses for Tesla's ever worsening behavior. Elon Musk is a robot who doesn't understand other human beings. He presumes everyone who buys his cars is a nerd who wants to pay an exorbitant amount of money to become a beta tester. I bought my Model S knowing that it was a first-of-its-kind product. I expected service issues.

What I did not expect was Tesla sending me a software update, six years into my ownership experience, that reduced my Supercharging rate by over 20% (search: #chargegate). What many others did not expect was Tesla removing 10% or more of their battery capacity to cover up a defect that can cause the vehicles to catch fire (search: #batterygate).

Now Tesla has amended its warranty to state it can remove range and performance at any time after purchase, and at its sole discretion.

Does this sound like an honest company that cares about its customers?

At least with an ICE, BMW isn't going to beam into my car remotely to artificially reduce my MPG, cut the size of my gas tank, and lower my performance from what was advertised.

Welcome to the new Tesla. One that flips the bird not only to its customers but also to the NTSB, NHTSA, and every other regulatory body.

Finally people are realizing how shady Tesla has been since the beginning. Even the fan boys are actually acknowledging the issues, unbelievable lol.
As far as staying off social media... you are correct, with the fact that Tesla hires employees to govern these forums than try to screw over the individuals who talk negatively about factual issues. I am going to stop being honest about Tesla and their shady past cuz I know what they are capable doing with something as simple as an update.
Even if you don’t do the updates they force them on your car, it has already happened too me.
Unfortunately I love Tesla’s and have owned 5 Model S’s alone. Which I customize and only help Tesla by giving them cars that are customized and marketed online. I hated how plain they looked for a $150k car and wanted to show how amazing they can look whether with just Oem parts or kits, etc. It’s unfortunate that they feel they are above the law with the things they do and don’t inform you about them until an owner/owners figures it out themselves. You would think that they have been doing so well that they would have become less shady, but just the opposite has happened. I am just like Rich rebuilds. There are issues that must be regulated that they do, that basically means you never truly own the car, they still do. Until they get hammered with some serious fines nothing will change. But the more competition comes, regardless if they are better or not owners will opt for the latter. Just because no one likes the idea of buying a car and not truly owning it.
I am going to get at least one more New Raven to customize and maybe keep it or just sell it. I hate that I cannot trust them to be somewhat ethical. As I truly love the cars and their unmatchable supercharging network. But when you give them as much business as I and many others have and still feel like you are getting hosed you can only take so much.
And since Elon can be a child and let things personally bother him like a 4 yr old and ban certain individuals from ever buying a Tesla it’s a terrible look. Especially when he’s as successful as he is, he shouldn’t let issues that owners have allow him to throw his temper tantrums. Just like how upset he is at Bill Gates for buying a Taycan. Just childish and unreal with someone he is supposed to be friends with. And overall black eye for the company in the public’s view.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: VT_EE and sixela
The glaring problem here is the total lack of QA (or care) at the Tesla factory that cars are allowed to leave built to that specification and think it is acceptable. Maybe the culture there is 'well we made it, the service centre will fix up any problems'.
Can you ever imagine a company like Lexus letting a vehicle out of the factory with panels aligned like that?
I purchased my Model-S second hand but the owner told me that he had it back getting things lined up properly several times, and this is when they were really, really expensive cars before the price slash.

That’s what happens when you build tents and force workers to work all day to meet quotas. They are 100% at fault for putting profits and their stock above the quality of their car builds. I can only imagine the issues these cars will have in 4,5,6 years from now

• Disagree
Reactions: Jashev and sixela
Totally not. How can you defend SC's behavior, it's beyond comprehension.

Sorry. But WHERE did I defend Tesla’s service centers behavior. I simply said that the service varies. And it DOES! you can go to one place and they’re amazing and go 20 miles down the road. Not so much. For me In WA Bellevue SC is amazing and take care of me. With my previous Tesla I couldn’t say the same for the Seattle SC and therefore I won’t go there.

I will take credit for defending an amazing car (it is) but if you’re going to quote me at least take the time to do so correctly.

Reactions: Jashev
I was the one referenced a little earlier in the thread blacklisted by Tesla(incidentally, I was apparently not getting notices on that thread and it's now 9 pages). Note that the thread I had previously on the model s yellow screen was over 85 pages! That is quite a lot of people with issues not being resolved.

Since then we ended up purchasing an Audi Etron and the quality difference is substantial. The car drives better then the model S we had and the model 3 we still have.

While not as "fun" as the other vehicles (although the Taycan we are getting to finish our transition away from Tesla will be the fun vehicle) the fit, finish, quality, and ride are all worlds above the Tesla.

Where it stands:

• Auto pilot: Tesla does have Audi beat here. Autopilot IS better then "traffic Jam Assist". However, not substantially. I can confidentially let the Audi drive 95% of my drive to work on 101 and 85 in the sfbay area. Autopilot is no longer untouchable. Competition is catching up fast
  • Acceleration: Etron is same as older model s, slower then 3.(the Taycan will be faster then both)
  • Milage: roughly the same as what our model s was getting
  • Software: Tesla still has Audi beat on this for the most part. Charging scheduling is odd and clunky, it shows me where gas stations are and took me awhile to figure out how to disable.
    • Audi does have wireless carplay though, which is awesome
  • Features: Audi has massaging seats, ventilated seats, sunroof, carplay, android auto, HUD, adjustable bolsters/thigh cushions, notouch lift gate, rear climate controls. It has significantly better camera features such as 360 view and tire cornering angles. All features that should be in modern luxury vehicles that Tesla does not have (Tesla has better app, self parking, and slightly better self driving functionality)

Hi. They haven’t said anything about blacklisting me ... yet....
I agree with your assessment. Although it surprises me that Tesla lacks some of the electronic and comfort features available on most other cars in the same price range, such as: 3D view, Multi contour ventilated seats, Seats that are bolted down with the appropriate strength to match the car’s acceleration/deceleration, remote view, Apple play, wireless charger, better cup holders or a coat hook!!! I also always found it fascinating that Tesla owners we were ecstatic about a vanity mirror light that was first introduced in 2018 ....

I was the one referenced a little earlier in the thread blacklisted by Tesla(incidentally, I was apparently not getting notices on that thread and it's now 9 pages). Note that the thread I had previously on the model s yellow screen was over 85 pages! That is quite a lot of people with issues not being resolved.

Since then we ended up purchasing an Audi Etron and the quality difference is substantial. The car drives better then the model S we had and the model 3 we still have.

While not as "fun" as the other vehicles (although the Taycan we are getting to finish our transition away from Tesla will be the fun vehicle) the fit, finish, quality, and ride are all worlds above the Tesla.

Where it stands:

• Auto pilot: Tesla does have Audi beat here. Autopilot IS better then "traffic Jam Assist". However, not substantially. I can confidentially let the Audi drive 95% of my drive to work on 101 and 85 in the sfbay area. Autopilot is no longer untouchable. Competition is catching up fast
  • Acceleration: Etron is same as older model s, slower then 3.(the Taycan will be faster then both)
  • Milage: roughly the same as what our model s was getting
  • Software: Tesla still has Audi beat on this for the most part. Charging scheduling is odd and clunky, it shows me where gas stations are and took me awhile to figure out how to disable.
    • Audi does have wireless carplay though, which is awesome
  • Features: Audi has massaging seats, ventilated seats, sunroof, carplay, android auto, HUD, adjustable bolsters/thigh cushions, notouch lift gate, rear climate controls. It has significantly better camera features such as 360 view and tire cornering angles. All features that should be in modern luxury vehicles that Tesla does not have (Tesla has better app, self parking, and slightly better self driving functionality)

how did you find out you were blacklisted? Did they send you a letter?

If I recall correctly he had his order for a new Tesla cancelled.
Thank you, I found the thread. To be fair, I would understand if Tesla wanted to ban certain customers, including me, from purchasing another Tesla. In their eyes we complain about nothing and in our eyes they have a serious customer service and quality issues.

I had my main touch screen yellow border fixed for free by Tesla. Now (and ONLY under direct sunlight) I've noticed that my main dash screen appears to have a yellow boarder as well. Unsure if it was like this from the start, as you only notice it when the sun is shining onto it. Doesn't bother me.
IMG_8210 (1).jpeg Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 9.01.29 AM.png

I had my main touch screen yellow border fixed for free by Tesla. Now (and ONLY under direct sunlight) I've noticed that my main dash screen appears to have a yellow boarder as well. Unsure if it was like this from the start, as you only notice it when the sun is shining onto it. Doesn't bother me.
View attachment 517481 View attachment 517482
does the fix with the machine work for that screen as well?