Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I totally agree. An iPhone that displays that after what it’s been through has served its purpose well. A car that shows it after 6 months of normal use is not acceptable. I just included this pic as I had never seen -any- lcd do this before outside of the MCU.

The funny thing is that on my first Model S, I brought it in for something else and they told me my screen was yellowing and they replaced it. It was barely noticeable, and I hadn’t even seen it. I told them I would’ve happily waited for a fix, as blindly replacing a part with another part that’s going to have the same problem just seemed like a waste of money to me, they said they were doing it for customer satisfaction.

What makes no sense is that they’re replacing every screen, spending money to just make people happy even if it doesn’t help - then when they finally get it “fixed” (we’ll see about that), and then they WON’T do it??? Wtf is with the total reversal??

All the repairs are killing the bank, led lights, screens, handles, crap manufacturing and they are paying the price.

More details please. How did you get them replace the screen
I need more details as well, I am just south of the border :)
Not much to say, I’ve been waiting since 6 months I think, a couple of calls and a visit at the service for another repair, offered at first to change it with the same model but recommended to wait for the new model to be available.... which I did and one week ago got an email that said the screen is available so got an appointment with the mobile service and ... voilà!
My yellow borders were barely visible, in fact it was my daughter of 10 years who saw something was not right :) Not in a big hurry to have it changed but the warranty clock (or mileage) is ticking...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not much to say, I’ve been waiting since 6 months I think, a couple of calls and a visit at the service for another repair, offered at first to change it with the same model but recommended to wait for the new model to be available.... which I did and one week ago got an email that said the screen is available so got an appointment with the mobile service and ... voilà!
My yellow borders were barely visible, in fact it was my daughter of 10 years who saw something was not right :) Not in a big hurry to have it changed but the warranty clock (or mileage) is ticking...

Do you have the invoice. It is actually a new model of the screen

This reminds me of the iPhone battery situation from a few years ago, when the battery was getting a bit older they purposely slowed the CPU down so your phone ran like garbage. It wasn't necessary for them to do that and in the end they got caught out, but instead of handling it so poorly like Tesla is with this screen situation, Apple admitted they did wrong and offered new batteries at cost price with no installation charges, I think it was only about $30 or something.

So the offshoot is my own family was affected by this and we had three phones repaired by Apple. Sure they were deceitful to begin with and it burnt them, but at the end of the day we got new batteries in our phones, had a laugh they got caught out and are completely happy with the outcome and a couple of us have since upgraded to newer iPhones.

Tesla on the other hand, its come to customers involving lawyers to get warranty items replaced, this isn't going to end well long term for them, why can't they see that?
This is not like the iPhone battery issues at all. I don't work for Apple, nor do I own any of their stock, nor am I an Apple fanboy (I don't use any apple devices but my wife and kids do). I did however spend over a decade working on battery life for phones and other embedded devices. What Apple did is what most modern phones do, they slow down your phone when the battery voltage gets too low, either due to state of charge or due to large load and internal battery resistance. The problem is as batteries age, their internal resistance goes up, so this throttling will occur more often. The alternative is to let the phone brow out, hang, or reset. The social outrage that ensued caused them to cave in, but if they went to court they would have won. Batteries people complained about were beyond their warranty period. This screen issue with Tesla is nothing like this, it's simply Elon took a gamble on a non-automotive spec part, then the parts started failing, the manufacturer said "part used beyond spec, not covered" and Elon is pulling whatever tricks he can to save the company from paying millions to replace the screens.

PS> This issue is not unique to phones, even your PC will run slower as it gets older, you just don't notice that. Throttling there is thermal and as the chips age they start heating up more doing the same thing. With PC's however not many people keep their software unchanged for years, so slowdowns are always attributed to software updates.

Disagree again.

It's 2019.

Surely there are host of screen suppliers that would give up their first born to be a Tesla supplier for this key component. If they were smart they would even sell them at a loss to Tesla just to get the business. (Tip: charge it to "Marketing.")

Supplier Street Cred doesn't get any better than solving a problem for Tesla.

BTW, I believe aviation screens are this size and larger now. They have far greater temperature, shock, vibration and pressure operating and storage specifications, or so I would posit.

This is a solvable problem, it's just taken far too long, and it's been handled, seemingly, by an idiot intern . . . .
How much do you want to bet Elon is not willing to pay for aviation grade screens? Do you know of any automotive grade (and price) screens? And no, no manufacturer is going to sell aviation screens to Tesla at automotive prices and have to explain to the investors/stockholders why the more they sell, the more they lose. Heck, that might even quality as dumping, which is illegal.

Don't feel too bad, we've been told over in Australia that local SC's will get the UV tool when the US has completed testing and rollout.
So maybe 2021 for us given I was already told May 2019 for a fix and there is only three UV tools in existence (according to a post above).
Lol, in 2021 your 2017 car will be out of warranty, so they'll bill you for the fix attempt and replacement if it fails.

Unproven prototypes, i.e. Tesla collecting data what % of screens is in fact fixable? Or maybe they don't want to spend money, you know Elon is reviewing all expenses and nobody wants to get fired for spending money on more machines. ;)
My guess is that they want to be sure it really works and after that they would manufacture more UV-units. But on the other hand they claim, that they know it works...

My guess is that they want to be sure it really works and after that they would manufacture more UV-units. But on the other hand they claim, that they know it works...
They claim a lot of things, when I went to a service appointment to fix it (and something else too), they refused to fix it but I got 3 different stories in a single visit. In other words, Tesla will claim whatever it takes to get you to go away with your problem.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
I have yellow borders on my 2018 MS 100D at 2850 miles and just over 3 months of ownership. I have documented the issue and my request for escalation and warranty replacement via email with local SC adviser who has copied the local service manager. Preliminary feedback is that "this will be taken care of with the new tooling and parts that are currently in manufacturing process."

Is there a definitely a new screen available that permanently solves this issue or are those who are getting replacement screens in fact getting the same screen? If definitely a new screen available, are there further specifics with which I can advise my SC adviser?

None of Tesla's actions make any sense when looked at together. This leads me to believe that everyone at Tesla is operating independently and making localized decisions based on their best interest (how to get a bonus or just not get fired). No one is managing this from the top down.

The reason I say this is...
  1. Tesla stopped doing screen replacements over six months ago (someone somewhere made the independent decision that this costs too much).
  2. Service centers have been giving all sorts of inconsistent stories for months. There doesn't appear to be any organized talking points for them. As such a magic UV fix is coming "by the end of the year", "this summer", "hope to have it next month", "we don't know but we will put you on a list and contact you when we do!"
  3. The Tesla lawyer handling the arbitration cases seems to have the autonomy to say whatever he wants no matter how stupid it makes Tesla look or how angry it makes customers. He is optimizing for his local best interest (attempting to win these cases) but at the expense of the Tesla brand.
  4. Engineering is likely doing what engineering does. They built three prototype units to test how effective this treatment is. They want a slow rollout to collect data so they can make improvements before building a bunch of these. Too bad no one told them to get the UV units out the door over six months ago. The first report of someone getting a UV treatment wasn't until late June.

So, Tesla put themselves in a situation where they should have had full ramp up of the UV units over six months ago but are only just now in the testing phase. They should have been testing them a long time ago along side screen replacements then switch over to UV once they knew the treatment actually works.

Last edited: