Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

But we have all kinds of arcade games and even a fart generator!
Pisses me off very time I get a new game or stupid thing instead of fixing a major defect.

It’s your only guarantee to have this issue resolved for free in the future. Tesla is forcing this as good will, so that they can in the future refuse to provide a free fix. There’s no other reason they’d go through all this.
Having them state "under warranty" does not mean they are on the hook to replace it after the vehicle's warranty expires should the . Most manufacturers warrant replacement parts for some short period of time outside of the vehicle warranty.
But we have all kinds of arcade games and even a fart generator!
Pisses me off very time I get a new game or stupid thing instead of fixing a major defect.
What major software defect are you referring to? Putting games in the car does not take a load of software resources, and frankly, I enjoy them on occasion. They also generate social buzz as a unique feature. The alternative is to develop a boring product like other manufacturers and have to spend a fortune on advertising in an attempt to generate awareness.

Gee maybe they should move some of the game techs to customer service so we can reach an actual human for problems. Sure is different today. My first MS in 2013 was a dream when it came to anything service related. Oh yea and my screen didn't go bad even after three years of ownership. Guess I was just lucky.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi, I'm just adding my history with the yellow borders and screen replacement as a data point.

-Model S P100D - bought Dec 2016

-Screen had yellow border at end of summer 2017. Service replaced the screen under warranty, no questions asked (invoice attached)

-Replacement screen had yellow border at end of summer 2018. Service replaced under warranty, but was slightly less willing than first time. They mentioned something about using "repaired" MCUs, but it had the same part number. (invoice attached).

-Replacement replacement screen now has yellow border near end of summer 2019. I haven't contacted service yet.

I'm not happy about it, but also not enraged or anything. Obviously Tesla should fix it, and I think the best way is to present histories and data like we are doing in this thread.

Attachments

• Oct2017_replacement.jpg
    Oct2017_replacement.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 67
  • Jul2018_replacement.jpg
    Jul2018_replacement.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 57
A week later I received a call from the Orlando Mobile Service head. She informed me that the tech. should have contacted me and she apologised. I asked her why the SC hadn't responded to my app report. She said that the number I called was a working number but didn't know why they hven't answered in over a year. I asked why she didn't call them. She said that she doesn't have a phone in her office, that she had to use her personal phone to call me. She had no answer as to why she didn't walk down the hallway from her office to the SC in the same building and talk to them.She had no answer. She then advised me that Tesla was not replacing the display, that a fix was being developed and would probably be useable in the fall.
She also said that it has only worked in about 1/2 the cases where it has been tried. I told her I wanted to go to arbitration. She said she had never heard of that , that she would go to her boss and see what he says and she would call me back. It's been 4 days and no phone call yet. Based on all the information in this thread I will handle it without a lawyer, assuming they will call me.

Very interesting information from Tesla Service... they now appear to know the UV treatment is only 50% effective.

Hi, I'm just adding my history with the yellow borders and screen replacement as a data point. -Model S P100D - bought Dec 2016

-Screen had yellow border at end of summer 2017. Service replaced the screen under warranty, no questions asked (invoice attached)
-Replacement screen had yellow border at end of summer 2018. Service replaced under warranty but was slightly less willing than first time. They mentioned something about using "repaired" MCUs, but it had the same part number. (invoice attached).
-Replacement screen now has yellow border near end of summer 2019. I haven't contacted service yet.

I'm not happy about it, but also not enraged or anything. Obviously, Tesla should fix it, and I think the best way is to present histories and data like we are doing in this thread.

Sorry to hear about your service experience... It appears that Tesla replaced your screen with the original A-type, not the updated C-type.

Only time will tell if the C-type screen will hold up to the environment and resist yellowing. Service work orders examples shown below.

InkedAnother MCU replacement invoice _LI.jpg
InkedSceen replacement Type A _LI.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting information from Tesla Service... they now appear to know the UV treatment is only 50% effective.

Which would make it a non-solution, especially if they can't reassure you the screen won't yellow again.

Did I read in a previous post that they are replacing defective screens in Canada?

They should come up with a solution for this obvious screen defect. A defective screen turning yellow is not a wear and tear situation.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Which would make it a non-solution, especially if they can't reassure you the screen won't yellow again.

Did I read in a previous post that they are replacing defective screens in Canada?

They should come up with a solution for this obvious screen defect. A defective screen turning yellow is not a wear and tear situation.

Can we just bombard elon with tweets? Maybe try to get some media coverage

I honestly wasn't aware of the arbitration process at the time. I mean, I knew vaguely that it existed but I was under the impression that "the manufacturer always won" and it wasn't even worth trying. Then I saw some people here get things decided in their favor.

Since I already paid I don't know if that makes it worse. Or better. When I paid for the replacement there was nothing on "UV", just that I was told twice that it would be replaced, then suddenly told it was "customer pay" and "there might be a resolution down the line but nothing firm". Basically it was all rumors on forums at the time, nada from CS or the SC. I knew that the -C revision screens existed, my car was still new, Tesla was offering no solutions, and I wanted the problem fixed.

As far as lemon law goes, I probably could... I've had a lot of other problems. (Though I'm running out of time, CO lemon law is only one year and its already August) -- Finding a lemon law lawyer that isn't shady is kind of difficult though. And I've been told that if you do that, you'll basically never be welcome at Tesla again.

It's interesting that some people have been offered to have their car bought back, over this freaking screen issue, others have had the screen replaced - and me, I've had a rats nest of problems on top of all this on a car that still isn't a year old; (autopilot / cameras / object view / blindspot detection often not working; both IC and MCU screen yellowing, water in headlights and tail lights, misaligned rear hatch-never fixed) - and all Tesla has offered to do for me is take it in for another week after week after week where they sit on it for days and then replace another repeater or b-pillar camera that they've already replaced twice.

You need a new car.

Write a nice, polite letter to Elon, advising that you are well within the lemon law criteria, but that that would "brand" the title and harm Tesla.

Ask for a replacement Tesla, and that this vehicle be relegated to Service Loaner status until someone can find the time to fix all of its faults.

That would be the smart thing for Tesla to do, but, as we've all seen, smarts are in short supply at Tesla at the moment . . . .

You need a new car.

Write a nice, polite letter to Elon, advising that you are well within the lemon law criteria, but that that would "brand" the title and harm Tesla.

Ask for a replacement Tesla, and that this vehicle be relegated to Service Loaner status until someone can find the time to fix all of its faults.

That would be the smart thing for Tesla to do, but, as we've all seen, smarts are in short supply at Tesla at the moment . . . .

Having gone through buy back process with Tesla in 2017 I give this exactly a ZERO chance of this happening.

"Tweeting Elon" stopped working more than a few years ago. Don't waste your time.

Reactions: alloverx
Can we setup an official thread or something to get everyone onboard and pick a time

Don't let me discourage this but I can predict the answer (if any answer, as that's actually more likely). I just heard it from the Tesla lawyer himself during arbitration this week.

1. They only have 3 working UV machines today
2. Two dozen more are being manufactured

Assuming his statements to be true (after all, he is a lawyer and also from Tesla), the rest is speculative. Any response would likely say "we're gearing up" and "we expect north America coverage in 6 months, the rest of the world shortly after" or something similar.

What's important is what arbitration achieved - making this a warranty item. Maybe a tweet campaign might get this admission while they ask for yet more patience. Surely they don't want hundreds, or thousands, of arbitration cases.

On 2nd thought, maybe a coordinated effort of NCDS cases would be a better approach? It's not hard or terribly time consuming, especially for a "documents only" review but I would suggest a face-to-face for anyone who is able. That might be a better way to get their attention. Just a thought.

Having gone through buy back process with Tesla in 2017 I give this exactly a ZERO chance of this happening.

"Tweeting Elon" stopped working more than a few years ago. Don't waste your time.

Well, that's sad.

Then this person, with a long list of issues and repeat repairs, should tell his local SC manager the same thing I recommended he Tweet to Elon.

If they're smart (sadly, far less likely these days), they'll agree and do as requested.

If not, then he should begin the lemon law process.

We're 6-time MS buyers, with two '17's in the garage as I type (back from when Tesla still gave a damn about Customer Service). It's incredibly sad to see Tesla screwing this up so often and widely now.

Don't let me discourage this but I can predict the answer (if any answer, as that's actually more likely). I just heard it from the Tesla lawyer himself during arbitration this week.

1. They only have 3 working UV machines today
2. Two dozen more are being manufactured

Assuming his statements to be true (after all, he is a lawyer and also from Tesla), the rest is speculative. Any response would likely say "we're gearing up" and "we expect north America coverage in 6 months, the rest of the world shortly after" or something similar.

What's important is what arbitration achieved - making this a warranty item. Maybe a tweet campaign might get this admission while they ask for yet more patience. Surely they don't want hundreds, or thousands, of arbitration cases.

On 2nd thought, maybe a coordinated effort of NCDS cases would be a better approach? It's not hard or terribly time consuming, especially for a "documents only" review but I would suggest a face-to-face for anyone who is able. That might be a better way to get their attention. Just a thought.
Since this is not a spacecraft, I think it’s safe to assume that manufacturing two dozen of these magic wands shouldn’t take more than a week. I think I’m being generous.

If you do not know about the author of this attack, you should look into his history. He has been on a fierce anti-Tesla attack for many years now, writing an unending stream attacks on Musk and Tesla. If you regard him as an authority, you are deceived.

Secondly, your response conveniently avoided responding to my original question, which was not about whether the screen was "automotive grade", but about your claim that:

So I ask again: do have specific inside knowledge, or an authoritative source that the unnamed manufacturer took this position with Tesla? Or are you just speculating or assuming?
If the article contains direct quote from a well known book, it doesn’t matter who the author is.