Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for missing it! Thanks. So 3/2.

5) dannycamps - Jul 12th - SUCCESS (Yellow Border post #249)
I ahve this issue as well, was apprised that "we are not replacing them now that we know they can be fixed with UV Treatment"
OK, so when can you get this done for me ?
uhhhh, well, hmmm, the UV Machine has not hit the east coast yet
OK when will you get it
uhh Hmmm we dont know for sure

Like Uma Mahesh, mine also shows yellowing only at certain angles, but contrary to earlier statement, mine shows more yellowing AFTER it has been exposed to light, the first time I Get it out of the garage in morning, it looks just fine.

Anyone on East Coast / New England region has had UV treatment ? or success with any other method / replacement ?

I’ve never seen another LCD yellow on the borders... until I looked at my mom’s 5 year old iPhone, which has seen some rough times as she works outside (and surely has also left it in direct sunlight). The battery has been replaced multiple times, but look at the screen now...

Attachments

• D85F3689-4825-4138-879A-3927B846A5AE.jpeg
    D85F3689-4825-4138-879A-3927B846A5AE.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 117
  • Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
I’ve never seen another LCD yellow on the borders... until I looked at my mom’s 5 year old iPhone, which has seen some rough times as she works outside (and surely has also left it in direct sunlight). The battery has been replaced multiple times, but look at the screen now...

Iphones come with a 1year warranty, and are not rated to operate in harsh industrial/automotive environments. Telsa vehicles come with a 4 year warranty, and the center stack of a vehicle is a very harsh environment. You have to use higher quality stuff there if you want them to last 4 times longer than consumer equipment is rated to do.

I ahve this issue as well, was apprised that "we are not replacing them now that we know they can be fixed with UV Treatment"
OK, so when can you get this done for me ?
uhhhh, well, hmmm, the UV Machine has not hit the east coast yet
OK when will you get it
uhh Hmmm we dont know for sure

Like Uma Mahesh, mine also shows yellowing only at certain angles, but contrary to earlier statement, mine shows more yellowing AFTER it has been exposed to light, the first time I Get it out of the garage in morning, it looks just fine.

Anyone on East Coast / New England region has had UV treatment ? or success with any other method / replacement ?
I’m in NY and I got the same story, the tool hasn’t made its way here yet nor do they know when it will.

Iphones come with a 1year warranty, and are not rated to operate in harsh industrial/automotive environments. Telsa vehicles come with a 4 year warranty, and the center stack of a vehicle is a very harsh environment. You have to use higher quality stuff there if you want them to last 4 times longer than consumer equipment is rated to do.
Oh I totally agree. An iPhone that displays that after what it’s been through has served its purpose well. A car that shows it after 6 months of normal use is not acceptable. I just included this pic as I had never seen -any- lcd do this before outside of the MCU.

The funny thing is that on my first Model S, I brought it in for something else and they told me my screen was yellowing and they replaced it. It was barely noticeable, and I hadn’t even seen it. I told them I would’ve happily waited for a fix, as blindly replacing a part with another part that’s going to have the same problem just seemed like a waste of money to me, they said they were doing it for customer satisfaction.

What makes no sense is that they’re replacing every screen, spending money to just make people happy even if it doesn’t help - then when they finally get it “fixed” (we’ll see about that), and then they WON’T do it??? Wtf is with the total reversal??

Yes, I have them. But the intensity varied depending on the light.
It was worse as it came out of garage in the morning and then it reduces after driving for a while.
You can see the variation in between the first two and last two pics (they are with different background settings, but you can see the variation in yellowing)

Mine looks like yours.

I am in PA, same story, tool has not arrived....., no timeline

Same in NJ, tool has not arrived yet...

Earlier Ryan was quoted as saying he can send the tool where it needs to go. So if you file for arbitration, it will appear in your area within a month. That seems like the only way to know you will get it fixed this year.

Ninjaedit: just realized fixed is a strong word, especially considering it didn't work on my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Earlier Ryan was quoted as saying he can send the tool where it needs to go. So if you file for arbitration, it will appear in your area within a month. That seems like the only way to know you will get it fixed this year.
Good point!

We have significant reason to believe (based on what he has told multiple members here, including myself) that he is reading this thread.

If Tesla really cared, he could provide his contact information on this forum and create a priority list.

Sooo how much does this all cost (lawyers and stuff)

Arbitration? For the consumer nothing if you don't want it to. Only your time. All the associated fees are paid by Tesla regardless of whether you win or lose, and since the result is non-binding (on you) my lawyer basically advised against spending my money for him to show up on my behalf.

It's ultimately up to you though, if you would rather involve a lawyer then you can be represented by one.

If Tesla really cared, he could provide his contact information on this forum and create a priority list.

I don't see the point in that. Tesla has stated that they only have three UV units which means they can only handle so many cases per day. Further, it doesn't appear that the UV treatment works in all cases. The few units available and the failure rate leads me to believe this is still very much a prototype tool for Tesla.

What Tesla really should have done was to not rock the boat until they knew the UV treatment would work in nearly all cases. Instead they were eager to put the kibosh on screen replacements. Leaving a 6+ month gap where customers had no other recourse than going to arbitration. This entire ordeal could have been avoided if they just waiting until they knew UV worked. I can't decide if this is a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing (service and engineering in this case) or some executive somewhere making a bad call. Either way this is the result of poor management at Tesla (not to mention the complete disregard for the impact on the brand image).

Assuming one waits, without going to arbitration, until more magic wands are manufactured, why can’t we still demand that the repair be stated as completed ‘under warranty’. Will Tesla absolutely refuse that and instead demand this be stated as a ‘goodwill’ repair?

IOW do we know for sure that arbitration is the only approach to get this done as a warranty service?
At least I know this is the only way to get the repair done quickly.
Before going to arbitration, the service center was not even willing to talk about it. They cancelled one appointment saying they don't have a fix for it. When I went in for a different service and asked them about it, they dismissed it saying that they don't have any ETA for the fix.