Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without back tracking 52 pages in this thread and then over the other threads on this topic, does anyone know 100% if Tesla has actually got a new screen revision that this problem is fixed or are the current 2019 raven models still having faulty screens fitted ?

I don't think we know at this point. The newest Tesla that I have heard of having this problem was built in March of 2019. So we are waiting to see if newer ones end up being reported to have the same problem.

Reactions: P100D_Me
I purchased my S back in November of last year. Both my touch screen and instrument cluster have a yellow border and I noticed it a few months ago. Been following this thread pretty closely because I also got the run around when I tried to request it be repaired.

I do have a dumb question though...

If this in fact isn’t a warranty issue, why invest time and money into R&D of a cost effective solution such as the UV light treatment? Seems like if it was a ‘cosmetic’ issue, it would be more profitable to require people to pay full price for a new screen.

Tesla goodwill. Isn't that nice? :)

I don't think Tesla can plausibly deny this is a warranty issue, should this ever be tested in litigation or arbitration, as they have replaced many screens under warranty (mine included) prior to changing the policy. Seems to me the replaced screens are, under any reasonable interpretation, an admission that they view this as a defect covered by the warranty. Caveat, I have not read the warranty to see if they reserve the right to change what is and isn't covered at their discretion, but that would seem pretty aggressive.

"defects in materials or workmanship" same as everyone else. Then that gets interpreted, not at all unlike the courts. US Supreme Court justice Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it".

Without back tracking 52 pages in this thread and then over the other threads on this topic, does anyone know 100% if Tesla has actually got a new screen revision that this problem is fixed or are the current 2019 raven models still having faulty screens fitted ?
Are we in a situation where this could all go away for them if they fitted a newer screen revision but are refusing to because of the cost?

Mine is getting so bad now that I could definitely say it affects the operation as it is very difficult to see what is under the yellow when the sun is coming in through the windows. The camera actually makes it look better to the eye than what it is.
How can they seriously say this is just cosmetic?

View attachment 449656

I would suggest you clean the fingerprints before you take any more photos of this defect. Don't give Tesla any ammunition to claim it is a minor issue no more significant than the many finger prints you will have on the screen in normal use.

Are we in a situation where this could all go away for them if they fitted a newer screen revision but are refusing to because of the cost?

Mine is getting so bad now that I could definitely say it affects the operation as it is very difficult to see what is under the yellow when the sun is coming in through the windows. The camera actually makes it look better to the eye than what it is.
How can they seriously say this is just cosmetic?

View attachment 449656

Clearly, it is NOT cosmetic on yours!

Reactions: P100D_Me
It seems new screens do not have this defect... according to my Tesla work order at least:

Concern: Customer has yellowing around screen
Tesla has reviewed this case and determined this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen.Tesla is working on a solution for treating the screen with UV light that may remove the yellow borders on the MCU.As a permanent fix the customer can pay for a replacement of the touchscreen.
Work done: General Diagnosis

R u kidding me, I have to pay for a fix within warranty period... no way!

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
It seems new screens do not have this defect... according to my Tesla work order at least:

Tesla has reviewed this case and determined this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen.Tesla is working on a solution for treating the screen with UV light that may remove the yellow borders on the MCU.As a permanent fix the customer can pay for a replacement of the touchscreen.

Yes, way! This is exactly the reason why they have you agree to not participating in class action suits as part of the warranty. You can opt out of that if you notify them IN WRITING within 30 days. Otherwise you agree to arbitration and no class action.

Was it done under warranty or were you charged??
Yes, under warranty, and invoice labeled as such as well
upload_2019-9-3_14-3-1.png

I noticed them over the weekend. I will try to get a picture to share. I have a late 2017 model with low mileage. I don't know what should I be doing? Should I go to the service and try my luck? Any recommendations?

I would wait to find out if the UV treatment is permanent or temporary. Also find out if they really do have a new unit that doesn't have the same problem. Then you can decide if you want to accept the UV treatment or hold out for a replacement and if you will need to go to arbitration.

The fact that they keep clinging to the statement that the screen has no impact on performance or function is interesting because there are a few people here who have yellowed so badly that some of the on-screen items have become completely obscured in certain lighting conditions. That is CLEARLY impacting functionality and may even be a safety issue. If you can't see the on-screen option, how are you supposed to know what item you are accessing?

According to Tesla, no screens have this defect, because this defect is not a defect! :rolleyes:

But, seriously, what they told you is corporate boilerplate that they've been been telling customers for months, now. Though it looks like they took out the "therefore not a defect" language.

I don't think we know at this point. The newest Tesla that I have heard of having this problem was built in March of 2019. So we are waiting to see if newer ones end up being reported to have the same problem.

Trouble is it can take some time to show up. Mine took a year. That's what makes me think it is an issue with the seal for the LCD, but is this glue between the LCD and the touchscreen layer? That would have little to do with the LCD itself.

Tesla has reviewed this case and determined this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen.Tesla is working on a solution for treating the screen with UV light that may remove the yellow borders on the MCU.
As a permanent fix the customer can pay for a replacement of the touchscreen.

Tesla is freely admitting that if you want "a permanent fix, the customer can pay for a replacement of the touchscreen."

While this CYA stuff may work in short term, long term there will be no brand loyalty when they need it.

Reactions: whitex
The fact that they keep clinging to the statement that the screen has no impact on performance or function is interesting because there are a few people here who have yellowed so badly that some of the on-screen items have become completely obscured in certain lighting conditions. That is CLEARLY impacting functionality and may even be a safety issue. If you can't see the on-screen option, how are you supposed to know what item you are accessing?
They are saying this specifically worded statement to avoid lemon laws in most states, which require functionality or safety being affected. You can lemon in some places for spending time in the shop to repair, but they mitigate that by simply canceling your appointments, so you car is not spending any time in the shop, therefore will not qualify. Elon really is a genius, sadly he's now applying his skills to finding loopholes in consumer protection laws.