Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UV tools have only been in use for a month or two. It’s not a good sign if they are frequently breaking already. Has there been any part of this situation that Tesla hasn’t bungled lately?

So let me see if I understand this - they have a scenario where the MCU screens are effectively breaking. They devise a tool to supposedly fix the screens (with mixed results) and the tool itself is breaking.

If you close your eyes, you can almost hear the "Benny Hill" theme playing in the background at the service centers.

So my saga continues in my efforts to get my yellowing screen repaired. Initially I had 2 mobile service can appointments cancelled for a screen replacement. This was during the transition period when Tesla went from replacing to repairing. Both appointments were cancelled on the day of the appointment. Of course.

Fast forward to today. I traveled one hour in rush hour traffic for the repair procedure only to arrive and be told, “I’m so sorry, the tool is broken. We tried it on one car and it failed”.

Of course nobody called, nobody emailed, nothing. With viable competition arriving, Tesla better upgrade this service system and do it quickly. I got better service with our old Sonata PHEV. Color me disgusted.

The UV tool breaking appears to be a common theme. I also had that experience.
They emailed later and said they could use “the beta version” of the tool on my vehicle.

This complete nonsense on the part of Tesla Service ... they need to get these issues fixed before more competition arrives.

Reactions: meomyo
I have an appointment for UV fix this coming Saturday in Costa Mesa. After I saw all these post about tools breaking down, I texted the service center and got a reply that all is functioning. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t get broken before Saturday. Wish me luck.

Got my NCDS Case # and a have a dispute meeting date of 10/15/19. So far the process couldn’t have been easier. I’ve invested about 20 minutes of time. Guess we’ll see what happens on the 15th of October.

Wonder if I force Tesla to replace the screen and the yellow ring comes back, and I do this 3 times in a row, is that a lemon law situation?

Wonder if I force Tesla to replace the screen and the yellow ring comes back, and I do this 3 times in a row, is that a lemon law situation?

First, you can't force them to replace it. They will try the UV repair first, and if that doesn't work then they will replace the screen. As far as lemon law, that depends on a number of things, like what the requirements are in your state. Most states limit the lemon law period to the first 12 or 24 months of ownership. (Some have a mileage limit as well.) And it looks like you are past that period already so a lemon law claim wouldn't be a possibility.

Does anyone have ideas or designs on hacking together a DIY UV lamp for this purpose?

I’m well out of warranty and my second screen is now yellowing like the first one did. I’d be willing to throw a few bucks at something like this just for the fun of it but I’m not really sure where to start on the type of bulb/fixture might yield the best results.

Wavelength is important. If someone could find out the wavelength of the lamp Tesla is using it should be "easy" to find a functionally equivalent unit and likely much cheaper than what Tesla is using.

First, you can't force them to replace it. They will try the UV repair first, and if that doesn't work then they will replace the screen. As far as lemon law, that depends on a number of things, like what the requirements are in your state. Most states limit the lemon law period to the first 12 or 24 months of ownership. (Some have a mileage limit as well.) And it looks like you are past that period already so a lemon law claim wouldn't be a possibility.

My understanding is Tesla won't replace the screen under warranty. So before you can make a claim regarding a lemon law, you need to have Tesla cover the repair as a warranty issue.

This may be why Tesla is so reluctant to make this a warranty issue. If replacing the screen doesn't fix the problem and they end up with even a handful of lemon law replacements... that's bad both for the bottom line as well as for image and sales.

Got my NCDS Case # and a have a dispute meeting date of 10/15/19. So far the process couldn’t have been easier. I’ve invested about 20 minutes of time. Guess we’ll see what happens on the 15th of October.

I had my S’ screen replaced a couple years ago and of course the new one now has the same problem. Is there any reason to think a replacement screen done today will fare any better? As I posted in another thread, this is anything but a “mere cosmetic issue.” The most distinctive and visually impressive feature of my S is the main screen. If it looks like a failing color tv, it would take a fool to ever buy my car.

My understanding is Tesla won't replace the screen under warranty. So before you can make a claim regarding a lemon law, you need to have Tesla cover the repair as a warranty issue.

This may be why Tesla is so reluctant to make this a warranty issue. If replacing the screen doesn't fix the problem and they end up with even a handful of lemon law replacements... that's bad both for the bottom line as well as for image and sales.
Tesla reluctant to make this a warranty issue? What you are saying makes no sense. My S’ was replaced under warranty two years ago as were many others, so it clearly was a warranty issue then. How could it be one then but not now? Of course, as I noted in my previous post my new screen has the same issue, so replacing screens doesn’t seem like a fix either. So since swapping the screen doesn’t work, it does seem to make sense that they are trying this new tool to fix the issue.

I haven’t heard that this is a problem with our Model 3 screens, so it is a bit puzzling why the replacement X and S screens aren’t using that Model 3 glue or whatever material that works. (Or is my two year old 3 also likely to have the problem one of these days!!!)

Last edited:
It is strange that Tesla can make a screen for the 3 that doesn't have this issue yet can't seem to fix the issue for the S and the X. You would think they would use the same glue or method they use on the 3 for new S/X screens. Maybe there is just some fundamental flaw in the S and X screen design that Tesla can't or doesn't want to fix before an interior refresh?

Reactions: meomyo
I dropped of my car today in Springfield, NJ service center...
I have the yellow border on both screens and couple other minor issues. They told me that they have the UV tool and will replace the IC screen. Car has only 13,000 miles. It should be ready sometimes tomorrow. The service manager told me that they are applying UV treatment twice, whatever that means. He also told me that no new model screens are available at this time. I have asked him about screens on model 3, they use different technology, the screen is not glued.
They gave me the loaner, but I had to insist on it.
I will post the results, hopefully it will be resolved...
So far, in my experience, the best way is to drive to the service center and talk to someone, who can make decisions, the general manager in my case. The appointment that I scheduled through the app was cancelled twice 2 days prior, when I already made arrangements. Do not rely on electronic communications. I realize this is not an option for people who live far from the SC.

Last edited:
Short wavelength UV has the power to break chemical bonds. So if a compound has formed which has a color, the UV light can break down that compound and remove the color.

I don't know how the problem could be in the plastic of the touch screen unless the adhesive has chemically altered the plastic. The LCD is layers of glass, so it wouldn't be that. Glass is very inert. Most likely the adhesive has either reacted with the plastic touch screen or the adhesive itself had changed over time. In either case the problem is someone either tried a new combination or used an existing combination in a new way (like in the temperature extremes of a car) so the color showed up.

Either way it is a defect in materials.
Well then tesla knows which cars have or will have the issue i would think.

I dropped of my car today in Springfield, NJ service center...
I have the yellow border on both screens and couple other minor issues. They told me that they have the UV tool and will replace the IC screen. Car has only 13,000 miles. It should be ready sometimes tomorrow. The service manager told me that they are applying UV treatment twice, whatever that means. He also told me that no new model screens are available at this time. I have asked him about screens on model 3, they use different technology, the screen is not glued.
They gave me the loaner, but I had to insist on it.
I will post the results, hopefully it will be resolved...
So far, in my experience, the best way is to drive to the service center and talk to someone, who can make decisions, the general manager in my case. The appointment that I scheduled through the app was cancelled twice 2 days prior, when I already made arrangements. Do not rely on electronic communications. I realize this is not an option for people who live far from the SC.
I agree with this- calling is a joke to reach anyone. We have the text# of 2 techs/service people so we text them direct if we need asap help.