Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes, FSD transferred, but FSD Beta did not!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the purchase with FSD transfer. I was on FSD 11.4.4, 2023.7.20. The new car has FSD ?, 2023.20.100.1 and I cannot find the FSD version number. However it will not let me access FSD Beta, just says it will be available in the future. (I think it is 11.3.6 but cannot find it in the menus)
Some transfer!

Factory firmware may not have beta code built in. Have to wait for an update. But also if it’s a new Y with HW4, beta is not publicly available for it yet on any version.

The “transfer” is for FSD capability, which is just activating the option on the new car without you having to pay for it again. It’s not “transferred” in the sense of how you get a new phone and restore all your apps and settings from the old one.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I did the purchase with FSD transfer. I was on FSD 11.4.4, 2023.7.20. The new car has FSD ?, 2023.20.100.1 and I cannot find the FSD version number. However it will not let me access FSD Beta, just says it will be available in the future. (I think it is 11.3.6 but cannot find it in the menus)
Some transfer!
Go check the vehicle info screen, if FSD is listed, it transferred. Likely you just need to wait for the FSD version to update. Patience.

Factory firmware may not have beta code built in. Have to wait for an update. But also if it’s a new Y with HW4, beta is not publicly available for it yet on any version.

The “transfer” is for FSD capability, which is just activating the option on the new car without you having to pay for it again. It’s not “transferred” in the sense of how you get a new phone and restore all your apps and settings from the old one.
You basically got credited for FSD on new car, the actual software didn’t transfer.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
New Model Y 2023 owner here. I got three month free trial with referral code that will expire in Oct 2023 but I still can't enable it until software update.
Am I out of luck if it's not available till then?

New Model Y 2023 owner here. I got three month free trial with referral code that will expire in Oct 2023 but I still can't enable it until software update.
Not sure. There's FSD and there's FSD-b. The latter does city streets and will follow a route on local roads, turning left, right, and obeying traffic control signals/signs. The former adds traffic light and stop sign recognition to EAP but won't follow a path through local roads; EAP will, on its own, will take off-ramps and, if the off-ramp happens to go into another interstate, follow along and merge onto the new interstate.

If FSD is available, you have to enable it, which involves a bunch of click-through warnings. (Yes - take them seriously, so read them.)

Look on the Autopilot menu in the car for the button to press. Do so while parked, then you'll do all the warning messages.

• Helpful
Hard to know when Tesla will release an FSDBeta FW that works on HW4 to all the new car owners. That could easily happen before October and you will get to try Beta for some of your 3 months. If they don't release an FSDBeta to HW4 cars before all these trials end then who knows if Tesla will extend the trial.

Even though FSD Beta is technically still an extra to FSD, the only reason I believe Tesla is doing these trials is to convert some new owners to purchase or subscribe to FSD. But I can't believe anyone would purchase or subscribe just for stopping at stoplights and stop signs. So I'd think Tesla would want to allow trial participants to experience FSD Beta which is what might drive some to pay or subscribe to FSD. Therefore I think Tesla may extend some trials if FSD Beta isn't available before they end.

Ok so I ordered fsd when I bought my car in 2021. I didn't have a subscription. I did the fsd transfer and picked up my new car today. I didn't trade in the old tesla.

It keeps saying that my fsd expires in Nov. Is anyone who bought the full fsd did the transfer and bought the full fsd had the same experience? I don't know what went wrong and tesla is not giving me any answers.

Sorry if my last post didn't make sense. I am kind of freaking out because I feel like I got scammed or I didn't understand something during this FSD process. I asked tesla through text this morning the following: Can I have a description on how and when the fsd will transfer to the new vehicle? This is how they replied: Your new vehicle will receive a software update with FSD configuration after you accept delivery. The vehicle that you are transferring FSD from will revert to Basic Autopilot settings shortly after.

Well, when I bought my car in 2021, I paid an extra 10k for the FSD. I thought the FSD would transfer over to the new car but they only gave me a 3 month subscription. I took delivery and I was the owner of my car. Then I sold my car after I took delivery. It was my understanding that my 10K purchase would transfer over to my car and I wouldn't get a subscription.

Sorry if my last post didn't make sense. I am kind of freaking out because I feel like I got scammed or I didn't understand something during this FSD process. I asked tesla through text this morning the following: Can I have a description on how and when the fsd will transfer to the new vehicle? This is how they replied: Your new vehicle will receive a software update with FSD configuration after you accept delivery. The vehicle that you are transferring FSD from will revert to Basic Autopilot settings shortly after.

Well, when I bought my car in 2021, I paid an extra 10k for the FSD. I thought the FSD would transfer over to the new car but they only gave me a 3 month subscription. I took delivery and I was the owner of my car. Then I sold my car after I took delivery. It was my understanding that my 10K purchase would transfer over to my car and I wouldn't get a subscription.
The same exact the thing happened to me! I took delivery of a Model Y last Monday and never got the FSD transfer confirmation email. All I see is the free three-month trial. Prior to delivery, I confirmed with my sales advisor that everything was set for the transfer.

It has been nearly impossible to reach Tesla for help. I received one text back from my advisor saying that there is an open case for my issue and that it should be resolved “soon”. I haven’t yet sold my previous Model 3, but I have a buyer and am at serious risk of losing the sale if this isn’t corrected soon.

Have you heard any updates since you posted this message?

The same exact the thing happened to me! I took delivery of a Model Y last Monday and never got the FSD transfer confirmation email. All I see is the free three-month trial. Prior to delivery, I confirmed with my sales advisor that everything was set for the transfer.

It has been nearly impossible to reach Tesla for help. I received one text back from my advisor saying that there is an open case for my issue and that it should be resolved “soon”. I haven’t yet sold my previous Model 3, but I have a buyer and am at serious risk of losing the sale if this isn’t corrected soon.

Have you heard any updates since you posted this message?
I told them that I was losing sleep over this and that I felt like I just lost 10k as this fsd transfer was one of the key reasons why I bought my car. Actually, here is the text messages that I had with them. I had to go too the dealership where I found out that they are going to have to sell the car wholesale to another dealer because no one knows how to operate a tesla, and I was able to add the car back under my name. They did the transfer again and it worked. I kind of wish that I didn't jump the gun with trying to get it sold because if I really still had the car in my possession, I wouldn't have taken delivery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819_234318_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_234318_Messages.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot_20230819_234339_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_234339_Messages.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20230819_234420_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_234420_Messages.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20230819_234448_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_234448_Messages.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: nicholb
I told them that I was losing sleep over this and that I felt like I just lost 10k as this fsd transfer was one of the key reasons why I bought my car. Actually, here is the text messages that I had with them. I had to go too the dealership where I found out that they are going to have to sell the car wholesale to another dealer because no one knows how to operate a tesla, and I was able to add the car back under my name. They did the transfer again and it worked. I kind of wish that I didn't jump the gun with trying to get it sold because if I really still had the car in my possession, I wouldn't have taken delivery.
This just happened to me. Picked up the new car yesterday. Apparently they failed to “check a box” on the delivery end. Thankfully I did not sell my existing car. I hope I get resolution soon. Extremely stressful experience.

This just happened to me. Picked up the new car yesterday. Apparently they failed to “check a box” on the delivery end. Thankfully I did not sell my existing car. I hope I get resolution soon. Extremely stressful experience.
Same here. I had a Model 3 with FSD and followed all the FSD transfer requirements to the letter. The $15k FSD cost initialy showed up on the invoice, but was eventually removed once I got the final financing docs - so far so good. Then I picked up my new MYP on Sat the 19th, and my FSD disappeared from the Model 3 (that I still have) immediately. However, 2 days later and counting the new Y doesn't have FSD and I've not received any indication that its coming. What gives? Why is Telsas communication and clarity for such a simple swap so unessassily amateurish? Does Elon know or care that when it comes to transparency and communication, this company is substandard - and I'm a huge supporter and love the actual cars! Had anyone successfully had the FSD transfer in a permanent fashion as we all expect (and the 30 day trial obviously does not count). Please advise! Thanks

Same here. I had a Model 3 with FSD and followed all the FSD transfer requirements to the letter. The $15k FSD cost initialy showed up on the invoice, but was eventually removed once I got the final financing docs - so far so good. Then I picked up my new MYP on Sat the 19th, and my FSD disappeared from the Model 3 (that I still have) immediately. However, 2 days later and counting the new Y doesn't have FSD and I've not received any indication that its coming. What gives? Why is Telsas communication and clarity for such a simple swap so unessassily amateurish? Does Elon know or care that when it comes to transparency and communication, this company is substandard - and I'm a huge supporter and love the actual cars! Had anyone successfully had the FSD transfer in a permanent fashion as we all expect (and the 30 day trial obviously does not count). Please advise! Thanks
The FSD transfer paperwork says it can take up to a week for the transfer and whatever software it will download. The person I talked to on the phone when I called to get the paperwork also told me it could take a week after purchase.

The FSD transfer paperwork says it can take up to a week for the transfer and whatever software it will download. The person I talked to on the phone when I called to get the paperwork also told me it could take a week after purchase.
The problem here is that the transfer paperwork I and others here signed states the transfer would happen before delivery. Tesla changed the process after we signed this form and it was not communicated to us. I had to search for a copy of the new agreement online and then shared it with my Sales Advisor. Even he hadn’t seen these changes!

It is now one day over the “up to a week” period and I have still not received any answers from Tesla. I call/text daily and only get a useless “we are still working your open case” response. As the previous person said, I am a huge supporter of the vehicle, but the quality of the customer service and communication is severely lacking.

The problem here is that the transfer paperwork I and others here signed states the transfer would happen before delivery. Tesla changed the process after we signed this form and it was not communicated to us. I had to search for a copy of the new agreement online and then shared it with my Sales Advisor. Even he hadn’t seen these changes!

It is now one day over the “up to a week” period and I have still not received any answers from Tesla. I call/text daily and only get a useless “we are still working your open case” response. As the previous person said, I am a huge supporter of the vehicle, but the quality of the customer service and communication is severely lacking.
Ah, ok that sucks! It's amazing that for a company that only has to sell and move cars, they are so all over the place. When the FSD transfer was announced in July, I went to 2 different SC and got 2 different stories. The best was I HAD to add FSD to my order but that would mean I would be over 55k and no $7500 tax credit. I was ready to put an order in at that moment and walked out based on what they were telling me. Then 2 days later I went to another SC and got another story.. Then came on here and did my own research. What a mess.