Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yes, I mind the Gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The model S is a bit gappy on the fit and finish scale along seams between adjacent body panels.
They do a good job where front door trailing edge meets B pillar. But I felt they should have carried out more of this treatment throughout the car.

So I filled in the gaps with a weather stripping obtained at Home Depot.

This helps:
- wind noise
- moisture and dirt entry
- aerodynamics in a small way
- appearance

Much more premium look to the car.. take a look!!

Here is where A-pillar meets fender:

IMG_20160719_075747.jpg

Here is where hood meets fender:

IMG_20160719_075817.jpg

Here is where hatch meets rear quarter panel:

IMG_20160719_075848.jpg

Here is hatch near tail lights. Look closely and you'll see a double layer thing going on. I used two different materials here because the gap is large.

IMG_20160719_075902.jpg

Here is open hatch... You'll notice where I put down a strip of "pickup truck box liner for canopy" or whatever they call it on the quarter panel. And I ran the same weatherstripping as the other places along the hatch door itself. So these material sandwich together when the hatch closes.

IMG_20160719_075931.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Last edited:
  • Informative
A note on the rear hatch. There's a pinch sensor strip that runs along the side edges of the hatch door, for power lift gate option. If you press this strip when hatch is closing it will stop.

Here you can see where the pinch sensor meets the foam truck liner tape. There is still some squish room remaining under this tape. If you build up the thickness too much here the pinch sensor may trip and you won't get a full door hatch closure. Allow the pinch strips to just meet your insulation materials, but not be triggered by it!

IMG_20160719_075931.jpg

• Informative