Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another break in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but Tesla owners do seem to attract an inordinate amount of hostility. In addition to this smash-and-grab thread, see the recent road-rage thread. My own example is less serious. When we are away, strangers park in our driveway, blocking our garage and dripping crankcase oil on the pavement. "No parking" signs are ignored and local law enforcement has no interest. After all, trespass is neither a crime against property nor against persons.

My point is not that we should hijack this venue into arguing about social collapse. But Tesla owners conceivably may be uniquely vulnerable to envy-induced torts that are of no interest to law enforcement. If so, is it widespread? Is it worsening?

Just a bit a humor to this thread: A relative's friend recently told us about her experience in driving her Hummer in San Francisco. She claimed drivers were hostile to her, cutting her off and making facial/hand gestures at her. She had never been flipped-off so many times in one day until she visited San Francisco.

That reminded me of another thread on this site by Tesla owners who had similar experience by mostly truck/jeep drivers.

1. no one pays attention to car alarms any more

2. vehicle burglary is a low level offense- you can literally be arrested on Sunday, convicted Monday AM at arraignment, schedule your jail processing for sentence Sat night at 10p and be out in time to grab a beer at last call.

3. AB109

4. Proposition 57 (early release of felons, makes domestic violence, assault with a deadly weapon, bombing etc NON-violent offenses)
Added #4

Back on topic. Decoding my MS that I pick up on Friday shows "No Security Package". I'm presuming/hoping that relates to Kevlar and bulletproof glass type of a security package???

Interesting and probably not "the" ring operating out of here but who knows. I still feel much of this is happening to fund drug money purchases. Unfortunately none of those photos look like the guy who broke into our car or the group of guys I saw video of from the group Costco smash and grab last year. Assume those people in the article are the fences or higher up and the ones with the hoodies are local gangs feeding into them. We didn't get anything taken as we didn't have anything in our cargo area but after he left our car hit a suv owner who did loose a suitcase and I think he said laptop or ipad. I'm sure his stuff is long gone. I wonder how long ago that woman in the news story who got her laptop back had her car broken into. In any event sounds like a major take down and really happy to see some progress.

BTW article does say that if you had your things stolen within the last month, good chance Fremont Police may have it.

Last edited:
Just saw this on the local CBS SF news about a police officer going to investigate an in-progress car break in. Officer Hit By Suspect Vehicle Near San Francisco's Alamo Square Park

Hope the 2nd suspected perp who also got run over by the 1st perp turns him in. Glad the injuries were non-life threatening but even broken bones can be life altering.

Here's ABC's news story with video footage the cops had of what happened. Good reminder not to enage these guys, guns aren't the only weapons they can attack you with.

Surveillance video shows burglary suspect run over accomplice, cop in SF

Another S and mine were broken into in a well lit Mountain View, CA parking lot tonight. Super frustrating since my car had nothing in it. But now I begin the multi-thousand dollar repair and multi-month wait.

It’s too bad we’re being targeted. Such a dumb design flaw being exploited.

Other than removing your parcel shelf, what can you do to prevent this?

Attachments

• 83B89E82-791A-4AD6-A34E-33002DBCB5F7.jpeg
    83B89E82-791A-4AD6-A34E-33002DBCB5F7.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 16BCE39B-1815-4365-AF10-F4C7870E6CBB.jpeg
    16BCE39B-1815-4365-AF10-F4C7870E6CBB.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 39
  • EC815984-4F21-49D8-A81B-BB0A259D3579.jpeg
    EC815984-4F21-49D8-A81B-BB0A259D3579.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 55
  • A101A588-AA71-4F09-A085-9EE6E2CD8F2E.jpeg
    A101A588-AA71-4F09-A085-9EE6E2CD8F2E.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 49
My husband 2014 model S got broken into on 3/20 in SJ. Then bought replacement windows (back and quarter window) for him at Tesla Dublin for $450 and then the silver trim for an additional $780. Found Robert on yelp with Auto Renu auto glass and he came to our house to fix it for $300. Didn’t expect for him to save our trim because Tesla said that the 2016 and under model S has glued on trim, unlike the newer ones, but he took over 2 hrs with our car and was able to carfully remove it and re-use it. I then return the trim to Tesla a week later and lent my husband my 2015 model S for him to goto work any another location(milpedas/SJ borderline) on 3/27 because I had an appointment to re-tint his car at Rocky Mountain tint in Livermoore. That night, he called me and said that someone broke my quarter glass! I’m like not again! So I went to Tesla and bought the quarter glass for like $250? After tax and then the trim again for $780 after tax. Called Robert again to come to my house to change it out again and asked him to pls take his time and try to save my $780 trim again. It’s very hard to save that trim, but he saved it again! He charged me $250 for labor and I gave him $100 cash tips. Going to go return that trim again next week. His name is Robert 510-589-8485. I am very happy with him that I sign up on this forum just to give him a big compliment and to help others with saving their trim. I have taken lots of pictures, but I don’t know how to attach it to this post. I even saved his number to my contacts because I don’t think this will end anytime soon. Im going to make some big white posters with red markers and will lay all our back seats down and will put the posters over the flat seats to let the thieves see that we have nothing in our trunk. We have cameras and couldn’t catch the person who broke into his car because they have no plates. We say the thug guy though. We saw the plates on the silver van that broke into mines, but it’s not clear, but we’ll figure out what to do about that soon. The last time my car got broken into was in front of Benihana’s in concord dec 2017. They smash the back passenger window, quarter glass, and my back trunk too. Total cost was $2800 repaired by Tesla in Dublin and so I had to claim our insurance for it. I still had to pay the comprehensive deductible and my insure went up over $900 for a years premium. Never going to claim insurance anymore.

Reactions: EVChris