Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another break in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out what the sign or signal is that makes the cars look like they might have laptops inside. Some would think that if you spent all your money on the car, you can't afford a laptop or other valuables. :) Just messin' with ya.

For mac users, make sure you keep firevault and firmware password utility enabled. Hence your data is encrypted and they can't reformat your Mac and sell it. You can also optionally create a guest account without a password on your mac and install prey on it so you can catch the theif...basically locate the mac, key log and take screenshots of everything they see

This is what I had in mind. It is not uncommon here to see the cameras in parking lots of major shopping malls. Occasionally, Police will have their "boom lift" stationed to monitor parking lot activity.
I suppose that you've never visited wal mart.
around my part of the world many shopping centers are well cameraed up, however the pictures are sometimes of questionable value.

If these are considered high risk areas, what about surveillance? Wouldn't that be the first step to deter the offenders?

Security cameras are frequently useless since thieves now routinely wear hoodie sweatshirts, hats, sunglasses and gloves... making their recognition almost impossible.

Security cameras are only useful if you they alert someone that a theft is in progress... and can respond in time to catch the crooks... Usually highly unlikely since these "smash & grab" thefts happen so quickly.

That being said, it would be nice if Elon got the small rear side window glass supplier to offer a "bulletproof" option to "harden" this clear design weakness... or offer a European glass breakage detector as a paid option like they've done with the $500 4G LTE and $5,000 P85D Ludicrous upgrades.

Security cameras are frequently useless since thieves now routinely wear hoodie sweatshirts, hats, sunglasses and gloves... making their recognition almost impossible.

Security cameras are only useful if you they alert someone that a theft is in progress... and can respond in time to catch the crooks... Usually highly unlikely since these "smash & grab" thefts happen so quickly.

That being said, it would be nice if Elon got the small rear side window glass supplier to offer a "bulletproof" option to "harden" this clear design weakness... or offer a European glass breakage detector as a paid option like they've done with the $500 4G LTE and $5,000 P85D Ludicrous upgrades.

I remember seeing a post about an armored S a while back...I would assume it belongs to Elon

I keep checking back in on this thread expecting to see a youtube video of "a takedown". Someone in the Bay area is going to have enough of this and take matters into their own hands. I predict a video showing, someone pulling up in a Tesla, opening the trunk and putting a laptop bag in the back, closing the liftgate and walking off. Then 5 minutes passes and the "dumba$$ bad guys drive up, hop out and break a window, where as suddenly the liftgate opens and a 300 pound 49er's tackle jumps out with a big baseball bat. The bad guy is so shocked he freezes and the trackle begins pounding his head with the bat. Once this video goes wide, all the bad guys streaming videos while sitting in the cars watching for potential victims are gonna start thinking twice and thrice about breaking into any more Teslas.

And frankly we don't need it to happen for real. There's enough folks around that have the skill set to mock this up and make it look real. That too might be enough.

I'll be checking back later, ya'll.

Without the rants, conjecture, and silly politicized generalizations and blaming a politician for all your problems: If you're a victim of a crime and the perp is arrested/cited - You can keep track of the case and show up at any or all of the hearings. Above it all - request restitution as part of any "deal" made with the prosecution. Just come prepared with a bill/receipt. You'll have a chance to be reimbursed and instill your own justice on the perp. ;)

Otherwise, always be vigilant of your surroundings, park near entrance/exit areas, avoid dark spaces - even if it means parking adjacent to other cars (trying to avoid door dings). You can even go as far as adding sticky notes "Smile, you're on camera."

I parked in front of a truck a few days ago and noticed a very bright blinking blue light. May deter a thief from breaking and entering.

Once again, this can be quite helpful: extremeautowerks

They'll need a baseball bat to get through the glass once this product has been applied. Of course, it has to be applied when you get your tint. Then again, for those unfortunately impacted by the scum-sucking cretins who have already damaged 1 of the triangular glass pieces, re-tinting just those panels as a pair wouldn't be very costly.

No idea who has the NorCal area for C-Bond. I do recommend Extreme Autowerks for anyone willing to make the drive to SoCal. Make a trip out of it - go to Disneyland or the beach.

I'd still like glass breakage sensors/alerts STANDARD, ffs. Silent alert to the nearest constabulary would be too easy, evidently.

Without the rants, conjecture, and silly politicized generalizations and blaming a politician for all your problems:
this is the sector of society that is growing and empowered by people who don't demand stricter law enforcement from politicians, police and the judiciary. the bay area is on the brink of anarchy.
here's your example:
Assaults, robberies turn Great America into real-life haunt
in fact if you peruse the main page of the local daily you'll see many samples indicating a total devolution of social norms
The Mercury News - Bay Area news, sports, business, entertainment, lifestyle and commentary

good luck parking your cars in public in that world.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...654+8710938+8711017+8721693+3292716669&rt=rud

the owner of a car that was broken into is not a victim?
Of course they are. Please read the context. Let me spell it out for you:

jeffro01 said (post 2349500) that one reason California does not prosecute smash-and-grab auto thieves is because their prisons are clogged with druggies.

kort677 replied to jefffro01, "Does a crime need to have a violence component for it to be a crime?"

kort677 thus implied that non-violent druggies deserve to be imprisoned because drug violations are crimes nonetheless. This was a non-sequitur because Jeff's point was why California does not prosecute smash-and-grab thieves (not whether druggies are "real" criminals). Jeff brought it up to contrast California's prosecution of victimless crimes (drug abuse) with their ignoring victims of smash-and-grab auto thieves. The issue was bad government priorities, not violence.

I replied to kort677 gently re-stating Jeff's point; California's problem is imprisoning people who have victimized no one (but themselves), while giving free rein to criminals who victimize car owners.

I hope this clarifies it for you. If you want to continue discussing victimless "crimes", violent versus non-violent crimes, or any other non-Tesla issue, I suggest we do it in a different venue.

Last edited:
this is the sector of society that is growing and empowered by people who don't demand stricter law enforcement from politicians, police and the judiciary. the bay area is on the brink of anarchy.
here's your example:
Assaults, robberies turn Great America into real-life haunt
in fact if you peruse the main page of the local daily you'll see many samples indicating a total devolution of social norms
The Mercury News - Bay Area news, sports, business, entertainment, lifestyle and commentary

good luck parking your cars in public in that world.

This is the sector of society that identifies a property crime and engages in hyperbole in claiming it's the downfall of society. Maybe sometime we'll live in a world where crime is not existent. Until that time, I'll continue to live in the real world and use reason/safety measures to avoid being victim of crime despite the reality that a crime-free world is non-existent.

Another reason to keep an eye out on those driving behind you - you know - with that back camera that some people don't find useful. Hmmmmm.

As stated before, maybe tips on addressing this issue would be more helpful over engaging in conjecture and ad hominem attacks. For those cases in which a perp is arrested/cited - seek restitution. It is a powerful tool both to penalize and deter the perp. A more productive active solution over crying wolf and not doing anything about it but complaining and attacking others.

Last edited:
Tesla - break in. Property crime. Those are the parameters in this thread. This is not a socio-economic political thread to discuss the downfall of civil society.
True, but Tesla owners do seem to attract an inordinate amount of hostility. In addition to this smash-and-grab thread, see the recent road-rage thread. My own example is less serious. When we are away, strangers park in our driveway, blocking our garage and dripping crankcase oil on the pavement. "No parking" signs are ignored and local law enforcement has no interest. After all, trespass is neither a crime against property nor against persons.

My point is not that we should hijack this venue into arguing about social collapse. But Tesla owners conceivably may be uniquely vulnerable to envy-induced torts that are of no interest to law enforcement. If so, is it widespread? Is it worsening?

Reactions: Akikiki