Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At one point Tesla hinted that there might be a "standard" steering wheel option but I haven't heard anything about it recently. It might come later... or might not. From what I've read, most people don't have any problems adjusting to the yoke.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
...From what I've read, most people don't have any problems adjusting to the yoke.

People can adjust indeed. It's like another episode from Apple "Just avoid holding it in that way" for new and worse technology.

Tried out the yoke in a parking lot and what a pain when maneuvering at low speeds, like parking and etc. When driving no issues. So I will keep my 2016 MX and have no plans on buying new due to the yoke wheel. I feel Tesla is making a mistake not offering the traditional steering wheel as an option when ordering new. I know there are folks who will not buy a new Tesla due to the yoke wheel even though Musk thinks it is cool.

How close are the parts in the column?

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Funny
Reactions: tm1v2 and house9
The lease for my X is up. Really, really wanted a new S but too many changes to the steering controls are making me uncomfortable. With great reluctance, put in a deposit for a Lucid. I so hope Tesla changes its mind and gives an option for a regular wheel and stalks.
I bought the plaid - love the yoke. My wife's X lease was up in July but extended it 6 months. She was worried about the yoke but sees how much I love it.

The S is the best highway/commuter vehicle available in my opinion. I cannot wait to see the X - it should be fantastic.

The lease for my X is up. Really, really wanted a new S but too many changes to the steering controls are making me uncomfortable. With great reluctance, put in a deposit for a Lucid. I so hope Tesla changes its mind and gives an option for a regular wheel and stalks.
I am in the same boat. My 2013 S is due to be replaced soon, but the way Tesla has been going I’m beginning to seriously consider Lucid.

First with the yoke, then the auto gear selection? Which genius thought of the auto gear selection feature? 🤦🏻‍♂️I know that feature is selectable but still, why are they focusing on non existent problems?

I am intrigued by Lucid’s efficiency, lower curb weight, range, and luxury. I still need to try it out, only a thorough test drive will settle it for me.

I don't think it's designed for humans. It's for FSD as in when there' no humans to decide which gear to shift.

Since FSD can't quite do that without humans just yet, it just recruits humans to "train:" (nice word for serve as a slave with no pay to) the present FSD.
I’ve heard this argument before, and it makes no sense to me. Do we have level 5 right now, available? No.
Then why train us puny humans to be ready for level 5? Also, where is the written rule that you cannot have a normal steering wheel when you eventually get level 5?

how about a nice regular steering wheel that you could remove, if you wanted? Assuming you had level 5.

Thinking about getting the Model S lately. But read several reviews point out the negative of the Yoke during low speed maneuver. I wonder if there is going to be third party solution to replace the yoke with a conventional steering wheel.

There’s a company out there that takes your stock Model 3 / Y steering wheel and swapped out for one modified to one of several choices including something somewhat similar to the yoke.

I’m sure offer and will offer something that takes the yoke cars back to a standard wheel.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Tried out the yoke in a parking lot and what a pain when maneuvering at low speeds, like parking and etc. When driving no issues. So I will keep my 2016 MX and have no plans on buying new due to the yoke wheel. I feel Tesla is making a mistake not offering the traditional steering wheel as an option when ordering new. I know there are folks who will not buy a new Tesla due to the yoke wheel even though Musk thinks it is cool.

It’s just a matter of retraining your brain and arms. I’ve several several showcasing the same.

People that thought they would hate it and it was just a greeting used to it period and how it’s possible to hold / use it in ways you can’t with a standard video.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
Thinking about getting the Model S lately. But read several reviews point out the negative of the Yoke during low speed maneuver. I wonder if there is going to be third party solution to replace the yoke with a conventional steering wheel.

Yoke is fine. Just get used to it (like the rest of us with 2021 MS have) and you'll be fine. You may even learn to love it, like I have ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
I love the yoke! It's great for daily driving and took no time getting used to it. It honestly makes you a better driver too since you are at 9 and 3 at all times. People usually never have their hands properly positioned on a steering wheel to react to traffic situations.

I am in the same boat. My 2013 S is due to be replaced soon, but the way Tesla has been going I’m beginning to seriously consider Lucid.

First with the yoke, then the auto gear selection? Which genius thought of the auto gear selection feature? 🤦🏻‍♂️I know that feature is selectable but still, why are they focusing on non existent problems?

I am intrigued by Lucid’s efficiency, lower curb weight, range, and luxury. I still need to try it out, only a thorough test drive will settle it for me.
Auto shift has worked flawlessly for me and takes an extra step away. Buckle up, tap the brake and go. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with it.