Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving the new #models with the yoke steering for about 6 weeks and have determined it was a #gigadumb design decision! Unsafe and non intuitive in so many ways… The buttons not intuitive the interface is clumsy and uncomfortable to use… I mean who makes the driver look down whenever they need to use the horn, turn signals, or windshield wipers? Very poor design decision @elonmusk ! Actually makes me seriously dislike my second #models which I was super excited about receiving after a 10 month delivery time wait. I hope they pull out of this stubborn design decision and offer a traditional wheel and stalks soon!

I have been driving the new #models with the yoke steering for about 6 weeks and have determined it was a #gigadumb design decision! Unsafe and non intuitive in so many ways… The buttons not intuitive the interface is clumsy and uncomfortable to use… I mean who makes the driver look down whenever they need to use the horn, turn signals, or windshield wipers? Very poor design decision @elonmusk ! Actually makes me seriously dislike my second #models which I was super excited about receiving after a 10 month delivery time wait. I hope they pull out of this stubborn design decision and offer a traditional wheel and stalks soon!
How many miles have you given it? I’m loving it more and more

Reactions: nilesborg
Yoke makes it impossible to allow the wheel to unwind sliding through your grip which is common way to make low speed 90 degree turns of the car (which require > 90 degree turn of the yoke/wheel). This can never be remedied by the yoke and will likely make me switch to a proper wheel when available.

I see no benefit to the yoke except the ever so slight benefit of visibility to the instrument cluster.

Also engaging reverse and drive, engaging autopilot, adjusting AP, and engaging turnsignals is more clumsy with the buttons and screen swiping. I get that it is cheaper to manufacture, but UI design is worse than more direct controls.

Especially for those of us that need to switch between multiple cars, now swiping down for reverse and up for forward is contrary to years of pulling towards me or down for Drive and up or away from me for reverse. Very annoying and seems contrary to basic UI principles

Yoke makes it impossible to allow the wheel to unwind sliding through your grip which is common way to make low speed 90 degree turns of the car (which require > 90 degree turn of the yoke/wheel). This can never be remedied by the yoke and will likely make me switch to a proper wheel when available.

I see no benefit to the yoke except the ever so slight benefit of visibility to the instrument cluster.

Also engaging reverse and drive, engaging autopilot, adjusting AP, and engaging turnsignals is more clumsy with the buttons and screen swiping. I get that it is cheaper to manufacture, but UI design is worse than more direct controls.

Especially for those of us that need to switch between multiple cars, now swiping down for reverse and up for forward is contrary to years of pulling towards me or down for Drive and up or away from me for reverse. Very annoying and seems contrary to basic UI principles
I love the yoke - one of my favorite parts about the car but I agree it is annoying to have 3 Teslas with completely different user interfaces.

I prefer the new interface. The auto shift is 90% accurate and I like one button for the autopilot. I have a new X on order.

BTW - I switch vehicles a lot. Sometimes 10+ vehicles a week - all drastically different. I like diversity.

Simply not true. I can let the wheel unwind just fine. Just rest your hands lightly on it, accept that its not round and you can feel it just fine. A 90 degree turn doesn't require you do that anyways. Your hands don't actually cross up until close to 170 degrees. I find it hard to believe you have any experience with the yoke with these statements.

Additionally, how on earth can someone not feel where the signals are after 10 minutes? There's one very clear spot for your hand to be which makes it impossible for your thumb to be anywhere else but on those buttons.

AP is engaged and adjusted with the scroll wheel, not the screen, what are you even talking about?

Now the point about swiping up onscreen being opposite of pressing stalk down.... that's true. A contradiction in human factors. It's natural with a stalk for down to engage drive. It's also natural on a swipe surface for up to indicate forward. I've mentioned this before as I'm sure you read. Inverted shooter and trackpad users vs direct touch of screen. Fair point.

Did you make an account just to post this?

Another yoke lover over here. 5K+ miles so far.

Read more carefully next time.

I said impossible to let the wheel slide through your grip --- that is you hold your hand still and the wheel slides through it unwinding, giving you easy purchase on the wheel if you need to slow the unwind or make any adjustments.

I also clearly distinguished between the car turning 90 degrees and such turn requiring more than 90 degrees on the wheel, yes more than 170. But your poor reading comprehension makes you argue against points no one wrote.

And also swiping the screen was clearly in the same sentence as engaging reverse and drive . Again your poor reading comprehension.

Your poor reading comprehension and rudeness earn you my ignore. Don't respond to anything else I write. I won't see it.

Simply not true. I can let the wheel unwind just fine. Just rest your hands lightly on it, accept that its not round and you can feel it just fine. A 90 degree turn doesn't require you do that anyways. Your hands don't actually cross up until close to 170 degrees. I find it hard to believe you have any experience with the yoke with these statements.

Additionally, how on earth can someone not feel where the signals are after 10 minutes? There's one very clear spot for your hand to be which makes it impossible for your thumb to be anywhere else but on those buttons.

AP is engaged and adjusted with the scroll wheel, not the screen, what are you even talking about?

Now the point about swiping up onscreen being opposite of pressing stalk down.... that's true. A contradiction in human factors. It's natural with a stalk for down to engage drive. It's also natural on a swipe surface for up to indicate forward. I've mentioned this before as I'm sure you read. Inverted shooter and trackpad users vs direct touch of screen. Fair point.

Read more carefully next time.

I said impossible to let the wheel slide through your grip --- that is you hold your hand still and the wheel slides through it unwinding, giving you easy purchase on the wheel if you need to slow the unwind or make any adjustments.

I also clearly distinguished between the car turning 90 degrees and such turn requiring more than 90 degrees on the wheel, yes more than 170. But your poor reading comprehension makes you argue against points no one wrote.

And also swiping the screen was clearly in the same sentence as engaging reverse and drive . Again your poor reading comprehension.

Your poor reading comprehension and rudeness earn you my ignore. Don't respond to anything else I write. I won't see it.
But everyone else will. Your statements conveyed exactly what I responded to. Additionally, It’s turning radius of a curve that matters, not the angle. Most turns are 90 degrees. Your rant doesn’t stand up to facts.

I was a yoke skeptic and cancelled the order on my first car. I couldn't come to grips with a yoke but I ended up ordering another car about a month later. I've now had the car for just over a month and I really enjoy the yoke. If Tesla came out with a steering wheel retrofit and offered it at zero cost, I would stick with the yoke.

Just my personal opinion, YMMV.

I was a yoke skeptic and cancelled the order on my first car. I couldn't come to grips with a yoke but I ended up ordering another car about a month later. I've now had the car for just over a month and I really enjoy the yoke. If Tesla came out with a steering wheel retrofit and offered it at zero cost, I would stick with the yoke.

Just my personal opinion, YMMV.
Yeah, I would stick with the yoke too. If you think of it as a steering wheel, it’s frustrating. If you think of it as a way to turn the car, it takes a lot less effort.

This is interesting and I would take it with a grain of salt. I took my car in for service and the tech was riding with me to diagnose a rattle in the year and we started talking about the yoke. He told me that there's an off menu option where you can order a Plaid with a steering wheel instead of the yoke.

Don't shoot the messenger....

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
This is interesting and I would take it with a grain of salt. I took my car in for service and the tech was riding with me to diagnose a rattle in the year and we started talking about the yoke. He told me that there's an off menu option where you can order a Plaid with a steering wheel instead of the yoke.

Don't shoot the messenger....
Gun put away. Don’t believe that for a second. Elon said no.

Still can't get used to yoke after 2000+ miles... I occasionally drive my wife's Model Y and I can't tell you how much easier and comfortable to drive with circular steering wheel....

I randomly found out that there's a company who is working on "Circular Steering Wheel Conversion" for the plaid ( I pretty sure they are Signature's sister company?) Loving the OE circular look...probably going to place an order today.

Would be awesome if they could color match the stitching to the color of the car.