Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s what I don’t understand about the yoke: suppose you’re driving along and a kid or a dog or a deer jumps in front of you. You raise your knee to hit the brake, turn the yoke, and try to punch the horn all at once, but you have to keep your eyes on the object in front of you. The corner of the yoke hits your knee, stopping your turn. Even if it doesn’t, it’s hard to turn the yolk more than 90° quickly anyway, especially without watching what you’re doing. You reach for the horn but it’s tiny and not in its usual place. All hell breaks loose and you get sued. You blame Tesla. Tesla blames you.

Yoke owners, please change my mind. I want an S but would never buy one with a yoke. It’s another falcon wing over-design. (By the way, how did those things open inside a garage with normal overhead garage door tracks?)

Here’s what I don’t get about the yoke: you’re driving along and a dog or a deer or a kid jumps in front of you. You immediately try to turn the yoke hard, hit the break, and stab the horn all at once. The corner of the yoke hits your knee. Even if it doesn’t, you can’t turn the yoke more than 90° without watching what you’re doing, but you have to keep your eyes on the object in front of you. You try to hit the horn but it’s tiny and moving. All hell breaks loose. You blame Tesla, but Tesla intervenes in the lawsuit because it doesn’t want product liability. Tesla blames you.

I am a Tesla fan but I’m not going to buy the S I want without a real steering wheel. Seems like another case of over- design, like falcon wing doors. (By the way, how do you open those things in a garage with overhead door tracks?)

Here’s what I don’t get about the yoke: you’re driving along and a dog or a deer or a kid jumps in front of you. You immediately try to turn the yoke hard, hit the break, and stab the horn all at once. The corner of the yoke hits your knee. Even if it doesn’t, you can’t turn the yoke more than 90° without watching what you’re doing, but you have to keep your eyes on the object in front of you. You try to hit the horn but it’s tiny and moving. All hell breaks loose. You blame Tesla, but Tesla intervenes in the lawsuit because it doesn’t want product liability. Tesla blames you.

I am a Tesla fan but I’m not going to buy the S I want without a real steering wheel. Seems like another case of over- design, like falcon wing doors. (By the way, how do you open those things in a garage with overhead door tracks?)
I’m not a giant fan of the Yoke. However, one can deal with most situations in spite of it’s shape and lay out. Regarding your example, I would be able to remove my foot from the accelerator and place it on the brake without raising my knee. My hands or fingers would be able to turn the yoke easily more than 90 degrees and you just palm the horn area of the yoke to honk the horn, never having to take your eyes off of a child, deer, dog or cat. I know it’s a little bit of a stretch and learning curve but it’s doable. Don’t let the yoke keep you from entering the world of refreshed tesla.

Best car ever own but the worst steering wheel design at the same time. Patiently waiting on my Circular steering wheel conversion for my Plaid from another company.

Also, hope there’s someone can came up the plug and play turn single stalks.. ( without messing with software)

Quote from another owner here makes a lot of sense. Many yoke fan would say yoke works 99% of the time, but when it should have work at 100%. Conclusion.. yoke is a bad design. Period.

Best car ever own but the worst steering wheel design at the same time. Patiently waiting on my Circular steering wheel conversion for my Plaid from another company.

Also, hope there’s someone can came up the plug and play turn single stalks.. ( without messing with software)

Quote from another owner here makes a lot of sense. Many yoke fan would say yoke works 99% of the time, but when it should have work at 100%. Conclusion.. yoke is a bad design. Period.

Yoke would be great if a full turn was at 90 degrees

Had the car for a little under two months. I dont mind the yoke but still prefer a ronud wheel like in my f150.

What i will NEVER get used to or agree on is teh stupid signals and horn on the steering wheel. This by far the dumbest design ever, and i hope tesla gets slapped with a HUGE recall and fix this.

Today, i was behind a cop, and i as i was turning i accidently hit the freaking horn (being that it is mega sensitive to touch). lets put it thsi way, the cop didnt appreciate it despite me appologizing and followed me for a few miles until breaking off.

Also, if note that the stupid horn is no ONE SIDE of the wheel, meaning you can really only use your right hand to hit it, versus in the centre. And the signals, i find myself sometimes not signalling because i had the wheel turned and couldnt find the right button.

I cant believe the allowed the horn and signals be a touch button.
Fellow F150 & MSLR owner here. Not a fan of the yoke, but I can live with it. I couldn't agree more, though, about the signal and horn. Moronic UI design. I'm awaiting the recall too. Short of that, I'll be first in line for a 3rd party round wheel and stalks.

I love my 2015 Model S more than any car I’ve ever owned. I want a new S but I despise everything about the new yoke and stalkless crap haptics. I will never buy another Tesla if these are the primary controls. I have a Cybertruck on order which I fully expect to cancel when I see the finished vehicle with that awful yoke, its indefensibly stupid horn button, on-screen direction selection (sucks), and those horrid haptic controls.

A question to all you who actually like the yoke: how long are your typical drive sessions, in wall clock time? Do you keep your hands at 9-3 position at all times, and is there even any other comfortable position to keep your hands on it? I imagine anything longer than a 10 min drive would get my hands numb if I could not change the position of my hands freely on the wheel.

Reactions: beachmiles
A question to all you who actually like the yoke: how long are your typical drive sessions, in wall clock time? Do you keep your hands at 9-3 position at all times, and is there even any other comfortable position to keep your hands on it? I imagine anything longer than a 10 min drive would get my hands numb if I could not change the position of my hands freely on the wheel.
Plenty of places to put your hands.

For me the most comfortable position is right arm on center console rest and hand on bottom right corner (4 o’clock). I have yoke all the way down and extended towards me, with seat height to enable arm to be fairly level. The Refresh armrest is dramatically better, and very comfortable. I only use 9-3 for actively turning and spirited driving.

Reactions: Fastcar
Can anyone honestly defend the decision not to simply offer a round wheel as an option? I've been a Model S owner since 2015 (currently have a 100D after owning a 85D), and I love them. Plus my wife has a Model X, which she loves. But, I can't imagine buying a new Tesla with a yoke, and my wife just ordered the Model Y because new X's only have yokes. I don't care how much people who like the yoke tell me I'll get used to it, or that I'll actually like a yoke more after I try it. That's not the point. We shouldn't have to take a chance on possibly getting used to something as important as the steering wheel on a $100k+ car. If Elon loves the Yoke that much he can make it standard, but at least give those of us who want a round steering wheel the option.

Have you ever had a deer actually jump out in front of you? If you are going any kind of speed if you crank in 1/2 turn of steering input you are going off the road. At 60mph a 1/4 turn is very violent. Go out when no one is around and try it. You should always hit the brakes first then decide whether to try and steer in front of of behind the deer. I had to laugh when you mentioned honking at the deer, the white tails we have here don’t respond to horns.

Reactions: SoCalDude
Can anyone honestly defend the decision not to simply offer a round wheel as an option? I've been a Model S owner since 2015 (currently have a 100D after owning a 85D), and I love them. Plus my wife has a Model X, which she loves. But, I can't imagine buying a new Tesla with a yoke, and my wife just ordered the Model Y because new X's only have yokes. I don't care how much people who like the yoke tell me I'll get used to it, or that I'll actually like a yoke more after I try it. That's not the point. We shouldn't have to take a chance on possibly getting used to something as important as the steering wheel on a $100k+ car. If Elon loves the Yoke that much he can make it standard, but at least give those of us who want a round steering wheel the option.
Honestly beyond tired of this discussion. Don’t want, don’t buy. Goodnight.

I’ll let you know my thoughts after I get my new steering wheel from Secret EV.