Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a gripe I have with Teslas yoke design after having test drove an MS recently is how the side hand grip position is not centered on the steering columns axis. This makes it so as you rotate the yoke your hand ends up farther downward and thus more awkward because your arm has to go lower to make higher degree turns while holding it. Compare this to something like say the yoke design on the Senna GTR, which is centered on the steering column and as well as a bit shorter radius from the column so holding and turning the yoke I would imagine feels more natural and comfortable to perform relative to Tesla's implementation.

Senna-Gulf-MTC-143-scaled-1.jpg

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Shhh - don't apply logic to concern the yoke. It is from Elon so the best thing ever. ;)

Your observations is one of the many I had with my yoke. When you turn it, it doesn't go where would expect it to be. With the wheel, you can easily follow it with your hands and maintain contact if you want.

If Tesla had done something like Lexus, I'd have fewer issues with it. Though the steer by wire has some lag it seems which might annoy me but that can likely be tuned out with software.

Reactions: drdumont
Today I drove my sons new Model 3. While I absolutely love my Plaid it sure was nice having stalks for turn signals and shifting. And an actual horn in the center of the wheel. Come on Tesla, give us S owners the correct configuration and keep us all safer and happier. I know I’m dreaming about that ever happening.
Who’d you honk at?

A horn is like a weapon. You seldom need one. But when you DO need one, you need it BADLY. And QUICKLY. The horn button has been in the center of the wheel, or in a ring inside the wheel's diameter since the early 50s. ISTR there was briefly a car with the horn actuated by pushing in on the turn signal. Even dumber idea than the capacitive button on one spoke.

Tesla has made wonderful things, wonderful decisions, and some real boners. Boners such as deleting the silver trim, making the yoke mandatory, deleting the stalks, and deleting XM Radio (and AM radio, but that's a technical thing). Most can be overridden, thank goodness.

The S3XY buttons can operate the horn
The S3XY buttons can operate the turn signals in a more intuitive location
"Chrome" can be restored in several ways
I use an XM Radio that plays through the sound system via Bluetooth
I keep an AM portable radio in the glove box. Alas, the electronics in the Teslas and in some newer cars put out so much interference that makes AM near impossible to use. (It also interferes with some Ham Radio bands).
And now the yoke is no longer mandatory (at least on the S), but still with the idiot buttons.

It's just annoying that one has to spend more money for workarounds.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Wow, you weren't kidding about the word vomit. I just ended up skipping to about 16 minutes in and couldn't only stand to watch for a few minutes. Never made it to the end.

The same Youtuber just posted this 3 hours long video !!!

Lucid Air Cannonball Record Attempt! Non-Stop EV Road Trip Across The USA From NYC to Los Angeles

I am glad YT has the graph now that shows the most watched parts of a vid. I pretty just skip to them as a start.

Yes, very practical feature.

To add to the fry, something I hate are the Youtube videos using Voice Generated audio, where you never see any human face.