TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

You Can Summon Your Tesla Out of a Parking Spot

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brucet999, Jan 15, 2016.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I have had it work from 20'.

- - - Updated - - -

I discovered yesterday that if I ran summon in one direction and stopped the car short of its inherent distance limit, then summoned again without having entered the car, it traveled back to the original starting point and then stopped itself.

2. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Yes, I've noticed that as well. I think it's because your fob was already in range and it is only triggered by walking up with the fob.

3. RMan

RMan Member

While it is intuitively obvious, there is a fourth condition for Summon to work with your phone. The charger cannot be connected to the car. When the charger is attached to the car the summon commands will not appear on the iPhone.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

I've got to work at 25' through a door!

I tried what you did (stopping summon while backing out) but it did not return to its original location so, for me, it's inconsistent in that respect.

5. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

My driveway also has a similar slope and summon works. It stops when it gets to the snow bank on the side of the driveway. Also works to park in the garage up the slope.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has an approximately 15 ft. driveway that drops almost 3 ft. from the edge of the garage floor to the sidewalk. Using Summon he can back his car out of his garage so that the rear of the car is at the edge of the sidewalk. But Summon will not activate when he tries to use it to move the car into the garage.
    It appears to me that if the car is asked to start moving when it is on a slope Summon won't work. But Summon will work if the car starts level and then moves to to a location where it is stopped on a slope.

7. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

I did not try it then as I could not see the car from where I was sitting.

However the next night I was sitting in the outdoor area of a restaurant where I could see just the front of the car parked across the street mostly behind a building. Measuring on Google Earth the distance was 55 meters (~180').

With the fob in my pocket I opened the Tesla app on the iPhone and was surprised when the Summon button appeared. Feeling a bit more bold this time I pressed the summon button and was very surprised to see the options to move forward or backward.

Quickly shut off the app. Shortly thereafter i received a notification that Summon had been aborted.

So apparently one can be pretty far away from the car and still have Summon work.

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

You could have set a world record!

9. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Turns out not. I set up an experiment this evening with the car in the middle of an otherwise empty car park.

Then walked 25 meters away and opened the Tesla app. As before the Summon button appeared and when I pressed it the Forward and Reverse buttons appeared.

I pushed the Forward button and...nothing happened.

Eventually I got a message saying the fob was out of range. So no go.

We shouldn't be surprise, I suppose. The folks at Tesla have to anticipate owners doing dumb stuff so make the system as idiot resistant as possible. :)

10. garygid

garygid Member

When one can summon the autonomous driving car from home, to have it drive
    from work to home, will one also be able to send the car back, or to scbool to
    pick up the kids, and have it come home again?

Clearly there would be a lot of great uses for the "future" car, even without
    automatic fueling, but we are still a long way from reliable unattended driving.

11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I particularly like your example of a driverless Tesla picking kids up at school. What could possibly go wrong? :)

12. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

I was able to summon from my office with the fob, about 80' above the parking lot and 150' laterally. Of course I could see the car and the lot was empty; otherwise I wouldn't have tried it. But there doesn't appear to be any inherent 10' limit to use the fob.

13. msnow

msnow Active Member

Can you shoot a video of that car moving a few feet? That would be incredible.

14. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

Try this link: https://youtu.be/wiVf2tN9X7g.

15. msnow

msnow Active Member

#35 msnow, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  16. Soolim

Soolim Member

Intriguing! How does the fob signal get to the car at a distance of 170ft???

17. garygid

garygid Member

Apparently unobstructed FOB Radio Frequency, near the speed of light, about 1 nanosecond per foot...
    or perhaps Cell-data controlled by the Tesla App ... but, where is the FOB?

18. PatD

PatD Member

And I haven't been able to summon my car standing 5' away with the fob in my pocket and using my iPhone through my garage door.

19. garygid

garygid Member

The car arrives home with 20 extra kids crammed in, all laughing and giggling? :)

20. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I think it must be related to that dancing spot of light - apparently from the Mothership UFO - that is visible in the shadows next to the car. :)